U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2019, 07:56 AM

681 posts, read 341,286 times

Advertisements

I like 4 seasons. Here in Maryland, its perfect weather as far as I'm concerned. We have hot entended Summers, pretty Springs with a profusion of green and flowers, mild colorful gorgeous Autumns and mild non extreme temperature Winters. The occasional snow storm--adds a little drama and not a big deal if you are not working. I love to go outside after a snow. It melts quickly.
I also like to wear warm weather attire like boots and sweaters. I could not see myself in summer gear all year.

Florida to me conjures up visions of retired people everywhere, hot humid unbearable heat, and plenty of bugs. I hate going from ice cold airconditioning to extreme heat whenver one ventures outside. I could not countenance being in a smelly crowded shelter if I had to evacuate in a hurricane. No, I would have no where to evacuate to.

I just wish the tax situation was more favorabable in MD to retirees. That being said the proximetry to cultureral and educational amenities in DC and surrounding cities; use of 3 airports, access to beach, mountains, and big cities within a few hours can't be beat. I'll never be bored here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2019, 08:37 AM

3,149 posts, read 4,462,052 times
Move to Delaware

Old 09-08-2019, 08:41 AM

9,019 posts, read 11,030,228 times
We had a tropical storm when we lived in Florida, worse than the hurricane that came through. We were quite a few miles inland so I never worried that much. Tornadoes spawned off of them can destroy things, esp. mobile homes, which we had in the city some miles away from us. I didn't care for Florida for different reasons though.

Old 09-08-2019, 11:31 AM

487 posts, read 520,865 times
The best way to experience Florida, IMO, is as a snowbird.

Old 09-08-2019, 12:42 PM

236 posts, read 132,034 times
I think no matter where we live our bodies acclimate to the weather at least to a point.

Living in CT my idea of cold was once it went below zero. Other than that as long as the sun was shining and the wind wasn't blowing I didn't mind colder temps at all but hated having to drive on icy or snow covered roads. Hot humid days were always an issue different times during the summer but you get use to them too.

Here in AZ when it goes down to the lower 60's I'm reaching for a hoodie or light weight jacket. Never did that in CT. I don't mind the higher temps but my tolerance for humidity has gone way down.

Old 09-08-2019, 05:09 PM

7,466 posts, read 1,650,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibay View Post
I think no matter where we live our bodies acclimate to the weather at least to a point.
Maybe some people do acclimate and I might be the exception, but I moved from northern Ohio to SoCal when I was nine years old and I NEVER acclimated in the 23 years I spent there! It wasn't that it was hot (it usually wasn't where I lived -- less than 5-10 miles from the ocean -- but the lack of seasons and very little rain except from November to May highly irritated me.

Old 09-11-2019, 04:40 PM

590 posts, read 685,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I hope you realise that hurricanes happen every year. This year is not unusual.

Also Florida is not the oldest state, nor does it have the highest percentage of retirees. [you live in NY, so look North]

There were no hurricanes in Florida from 2006 to 2015

Old 09-13-2019, 11:09 AM

8,026 posts, read 4,549,408 times
And...HERE COMES ANOTHER ONE!

Old 09-13-2019, 05:12 PM

9,966 posts, read 7,236,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
And...HERE COMES ANOTHER ONE!
Trooical storm expected to stay off the coast, at least till it hits the mid-Atlantic states. Some rainy weather, a few breezes not unsimilar to the ordinary afternoon storms and showere we get in the summer.

But if it'll keep a few thousand people from deciding they must move to the Sunshine State, yeah, its the BIG one.

Old 09-13-2019, 07:05 PM

15,386 posts, read 31,529,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Trooical storm expected to stay off the coast, at least till it hits the mid-Atlantic states. Some rainy weather, a few breezes not unsimilar to the ordinary afternoon storms and showere we get in the summer.

But if it'll keep a few thousand people from deciding they must move to the Sunshine State, yeah, its the BIG one.
Yes, it's H-U-U-U-U-U-U-U-G-E!!!!!! Move elsewhere!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement