U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2019, 02:14 PM

2,064 posts, read 2,466,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Meh. Hurricanes aren't the issue. It's the low elevation and flooding. I'm very close to the ocean. My house is at 50 feet MSL. I'm not going to flood. If I'm inside the NWS hurricane cone 2 days before it is due to make landfall, I haul the boat, get the dinghy off the dinghy float, stuff all the outdoor furniture into the garage, dig the plywood panels out of the garage to protect the doors and windows, and do the usual provisioning like full tank of gasoline, start the chainsaw, make 100 lbs of block ice in the chest freezer, and dig out the oil lamps.
Man, thatís a lot of work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2019, 03:54 PM

2,604 posts, read 2,982,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
I have friends that retired there and are moving back to Illinois because of the hurricanes. It was never on my top ten places to retire. It's a nice place to visit but......

Same, it's a nice place to visit. I like visiting Florida as a tourist, but nothing more.

I don't think the occasional bad weather in Florida will deter people from moving there until lots of it is submerged, but that will be in future generations.

Old 09-14-2019, 04:19 PM

3,152 posts, read 4,462,052 times
cool wind map ... https://earth.nullschool.net/#curren....07,26.39,3000

Old 09-14-2019, 08:16 PM

9 posts, read 2,884 times
Meh, our house is 5 miles from the intercostal waterway and my GPS says the elevation is 17 feet. Despite that, we aren't in the mandatory evacuation map for even a Cat 5.

Sounds scary, but I've been here 21+ years and have watched more than a couple hurricanes spin by out in the gulf. Could it happen? Sure. Will it happen? Odds are in my favor. If I could get those odds in Vegas, I'd put down the retirement fund and roll the dice!

Old 09-15-2019, 06:47 AM

20,126 posts, read 20,242,014 times
Definitely avoid Florida because of hurricanes!
(Even though we hadn't returned yet, for the winter in 2012, and were still in NYS where we were blasted by Sandy)

Old 09-15-2019, 09:39 AM

3,152 posts, read 4,462,052 times
Sandy would have been a nothing in Florida. However, if it snowed substantially in Florida I would expect a similar effect.

Old Yesterday, 08:12 AM

30,037 posts, read 35,221,344 times
North Carolina has had four coastal hurricanes since 2016 and folks aren't leaving and construction at the SE beaches at least is strong. If you like and want coastal living then storms are probably just part of the package you are buying in to. What we have noticed from our experience is that it is very doable and relatively easy to deal with if you have the resources to be able to roll with the punches and recover quickly. If you don't the punches are harder and the recovery can be a night mare.

Old Yesterday, 08:48 AM

103 posts, read 100,125 times
Why anyone would even consider retiring in FL in this day and age is beyond me. Weather volatility is only going to get worse. FYI yarall, FL has about 5 nuclear reactors, all on the coast line. Its a Fukishima in the making. Not to mention floods that are not even connected to the hurricanes. Water is rising up from the ground through porous soils there. They call it a "sunny day flood". Personally me, some 20-30 years from retirement - depending on how well things go, ha, I bought a place in a ski resort out west. I use it in the winter to ski and figured this could come in handy when I retire. Guess what, though. I have summer tenants who are current retirees from Florida. Yep. The heat in FL is too much and from April to October they're escaping to the mountains. For those thinking long term, given the climate change trend, better buy places up north and at higher elevations. These will be at a premium long after last FL shacks are swept into the sea by another Cat 5.

Old Yesterday, 08:56 AM

15,387 posts, read 31,529,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandweller13 View Post
Why anyone would even consider retiring in FL in this day and age is beyond me. Weather volatility is only going to get worse. FYI yarall, FL has about 5 nuclear reactors, all on the coast line. Its a Fukishima in the making. Not to mention floods that are not even connected to the hurricanes. Water is rising up from the ground through porous soils there. They call it a "sunny day flood". Personally me, some 20-30 years from retirement - depending on how well things go, ha, I bought a place in a ski resort out west. I use it in the winter to ski and figured this could come in handy when I retire. Guess what, though. I have summer tenants who are current retirees from Florida. Yep. The heat in FL is too much and from April to October they're escaping to the mountains. For those thinking long term, given the climate change trend, better buy places up north and at higher elevations. These will be at a premium long after last FL shacks are swept into the sea by another Cat 5.

Old Yesterday, 09:32 AM

14,547 posts, read 7,805,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandweller13 View Post
I bought a place in a ski resort out west. I use it in the winter to ski and figured this could come in handy when I retire. Guess what, though. I have summer tenants who are current retirees from Florida. Yep. The heat in FL is too much and from April to October they're escaping to the mountains.

My Vermont ski resort is stuffed full of Florida plates from people escaping the heat and humidity for a few months. Anything with no stairs and a ground floor master bedroom suite rents easily in July/August.

Of course, Hurricane Irene trashed the town on August 28, 2011. A friend of mine had his house wash away in the flooding and I put him up for a few months in my empty condo. There were a few weeks where all the roads in and out of town were washed out. I drove up with a car load of provisions to open my place up. Even with 4wd and ground clearance, it was pretty iffy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement