U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2019, 03:09 PM

30,038 posts, read 35,234,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandweller13 View Post
Why anyone would even consider retiring in FL in this day and age is beyond me. Weather volatility is only going to get worse. FYI yarall, FL has about 5 nuclear reactors, all on the coast line. Its a Fukishima in the making. Not to mention floods that are not even connected to the hurricanes. Water is rising up from the ground through porous soils there. They call it a "sunny day flood". Personally me, some 20-30 years from retirement - depending on how well things go, ha, I bought a place in a ski resort out west. I use it in the winter to ski and figured this could come in handy when I retire. Guess what, though. I have summer tenants who are current retirees from Florida. Yep. The heat in FL is too much and from April to October they're escaping to the mountains. For those thinking long term, given the climate change trend, better buy places up north and at higher elevations. These will be at a premium long after last FL shacks are swept into the sea by another Cat 5.
As I noted in the post just before this. Living at the beach along with the pluses and minuses can be managed if you have the resources to do so. This includes having two homes for both seasonal changes, lifestyle preferences and as a back up home in case of storm. Yes if you can afford a place up North and in Florida and are a skier, like the weather extremes or any one of a number of reasons you can be in heaven. Even being more inland in Georgia or the Carolina's Virginia etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2019, 03:11 PM

30,038 posts, read 35,234,663 times
MadMan, the person I was talking with was very heavily involved in the Arts in another part of Florida and was miffed that many younger people had a different notion of cultural opportunities than you and them etc etc. Also Miami is more attractive to many people than other parts of Florida.

Old 09-17-2019, 06:16 PM

8,323 posts, read 12,078,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
MadMan, the person I was talking with was very heavily involved in the Arts in another part of Florida and was miffed that many younger people had a different notion of cultural opportunities than you and them etc etc.
I'm not sure what they're looking for, but they can find it all in South Florida; including some things that you can't find anywhere else in the country. For example, the New World Symphony, based in Miami Beach, is Americaís Orchestral Academy, and prepares graduates of music programs for leadership roles in professional orchestras and ensembles.

https://www.nws.edu/admissions/fellowship-overview/

If they're looking for something a little more modern, Miami is home to the Ultra, the world's premier electronic music festival.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=fz8VM-jnXds

Or if they're more into art, there's Art Basel, the largest and most prestigious art festival in all of North America, with artists and galleries from around the world descending on Miami and Miami Beach in December. (You know, one of those months down here when the weather "SUCKS" and "there's not much of a cultural life to speak of.") There are three cities in the world that host Art Basel weeks: Basel, Switzerland (of course), Hong Kong, and Miami Beach.

https://www.timeout.com/miami/art-basel-miami-beach

https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2018/1...kong-explainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Also Miami is more attractive to many people than other parts of Florida.
I agree; that's why I'm here. You couldn't pay me enough to live in certain sections of rural or small town Florida. Hell, I'd be thrilled if most of the panhandle was annexed by Alabama. It's basically Alabama as it is. And northeast Florida has more in common with southern Georgia than it does with southern Florida. My point is it is idiotic for people to say "Florida" is such-and-such, or the weather in "Florida" is such-and-such, as if the culture and climate in all 65k+ square miles of it is the same.

And one last, large, LOL to the poster who thinks high season and the best weather in Miami is March to May. South Florida usually has the best weather in the entire country in January & February, with packed beaches and sold out hotels.

Old 09-17-2019, 06:50 PM

14,494 posts, read 45,456,886 times
Florida is too big of a state to paint it all with one brush. Miami is a different deal than say Pensacola. There are interior areas that don't have much effect from the ocean.

For me, Florida is not that appealing because I am more into mountains than ocean, the terrain is flat with consequently un-interesting roads to drive sports cars and motorcycles on, and many parts are just too damn crowded. But if you are into sea sports, it's hard to beat.

Old 09-18-2019, 06:41 AM

3,212 posts, read 4,472,793 times
And yet Florida enjoys a large population of motorcycle enthusiasts and not to mention world famous motor sports. Lots of dirt bikes, lots of mud. I've lived in FL since the 70's

I'm an avid boater, diver, fisherman, hunter, no longer a dirt biker but my 4 wheeler is still in use. I live on acreage and 20 minutes from the boat ramp so for me it's nearly paradise and certainly my home is sanctuary .... here's my inlet. Scroll down a bit for live feed.

St. Lucie Inlet Web Camera

Old Yesterday, 12:57 AM

4,478 posts, read 6,037,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
If you don't like Florida please include your state. Turnabout is fair play.
Right. I'd commit suicide if I had to live in some (most) other states, but I'm too polite to bash them. Yet everybody feels perfectly free to bash Florida. I think there is a hint of jealousy that we live in such a beautiful place.

Old Yesterday, 05:52 AM

7,491 posts, read 1,664,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Right. I'd commit suicide if I had to live in some (most) other states, but I'm too polite to bash them. Yet everybody feels perfectly free to bash Florida. I think there is a hint of jealousy that we live in such a beautiful place.
They feel free to bash California, too, which I have been guilty of, also. However, I lived there for 22 years, still visit once every five years because of relatives, and I hate it based on experience -- BUT my mistake is to become upset with the politics of the state government and of most of the people in urban California and its state government, forgetting how beautiful the northern rural part of it is.

I think that sometimes people tend to focus on one small bad part and ignore the good that might outweigh the bad -- and, again, sometimes I am guilty of that, too!

And, of course, different people have different ideas of what is good and what is bad!

Last edited by katharsis; Yesterday at 06:27 AM..

Old Yesterday, 06:18 AM

113 posts, read 102,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Jealosy? Please. It is annoyance more than anything else. I have never given FL much thought. It's always been a place where you go for a spring break and then forget all about it until the next year. But I had to deal with a few people/clients from there recently and I gotta tell you that the level of preachiness and delusion that these people register can only be compared with that of hardcore New Yorkers. They are annoying as ****. But, at least New Yorkers will acknowledge the shortcomings of their city and tell you about what you're getting in return. Floridians just basically assume their state is heaven on earth and anyone who's still not moved there is mentally challenged and needs to be set straight and converted immediately. It appears to be a recent phenomena, because personally I don't recall this level of preachiness from 10-15 years ago, which was the period in my life when I was there often. Any attempts to use facts and logic usually fail in these discussion so in my in-person interactions I tend t just nod and agree But I have to vent somewhere, right? There are just so many truly beautiful, gorgeous places in this country where to live aside from the spider-gator-ridden humid sauna with sand and palm trees enclave populated by economic rejects from around the country, it's not even funny. But then again, may be we should keep those other places under wraps before they're ruined by aggressive transplants, so it's all good. Go FL!

Old Yesterday, 06:55 AM

3,212 posts, read 4,472,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandweller13 View Post
Jealosy? Please. It is annoyance more than anything else. I have never given FL much thought. It's always been a place where you go for a spring break and then forget all about it until the next year. But I had to deal with a few people/clients from there recently and I gotta tell you that the level of preachiness and delusion that these people register can only be compared with that of hardcore New Yorkers. They are annoying as ****. But, at least New Yorkers will acknowledge the shortcomings of their city and tell you about what you're getting in return. Floridians just basically assume their state is heaven on earth and anyone who's still not moved there is mentally challenged and needs to be set straight and converted immediately. It appears to be a recent phenomena, because personally I don't recall this level of preachiness from 10-15 years ago, which was the period in my life when I was there often. Any attempts to use facts and logic usually fail in these discussion so in my in-person interactions I tend t just nod and agree But I have to vent somewhere, right? There are just so many truly beautiful, gorgeous places in this country where to live aside from the spider-gator-ridden humid sauna with sand and palm trees enclave populated by economic rejects from around the country, it's not even funny. But then again, may be we should keep those other places under wraps before they're ruined by aggressive transplants, so it's all good. Go FL!
All of these faux experiences are from NY transplants .. or maybe NJ. Think of it as looking in the mirror.

Preachiness... lol

Spiders, gators, snakes, lizards, ants, and those yankee transplants... the list is endless.

Old Yesterday, 08:35 AM

1,517 posts, read 1,878,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
All of these faux experiences are from NY transplants .. or maybe NJ. Think of it as looking in the mirror.

Preachiness... lol

Spiders, gators, snakes, lizards, ants, and those yankee transplants... the list is endless.

Itís always something, when I lived in FL it was Fire Ants, Cottonmouths etc., and Armadillo that kept me busy; between watching out for Fire Ants and snakes, or trapping/shooting Armadillo it was a challenge.
Then I moved, now itís watching out for Copperheads, and trapping/shooting Whistle Pigs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement