U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 12:00 PM

5,456 posts, read 3,544,857 times

Advertisements

I thought the main two objections to Florida were:

1) The threat of possible hurricanes and all the results which hurricanes cause including flooding.
And the need to evacuate. And just being under the threat and stress of needing to evacuate.
And, for some, the need to stay in shelters which are not desirable. Or to be stuck in hotels or motels during evacuations, and having the stress of needing to evacuate.

2) The heavy humidity and the living with air conditioning so many months of the year.

I thought any remaining complaints about Florida were very much secondary to numbers 1 and 2 above.

And the rising sea levels and flooding which is occurring now at times, but more looking toward the future for those retiring 20 and 30 years from now. (even though Miami or Miami Beach are experiencing rising sea levels and resultant flooding these days)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 02:39 PM

4,478 posts, read 6,037,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I thought the main two objections to Florida were:

1) The threat of possible hurricanes and all the results which hurricanes cause including flooding.
And the need to evacuate. And just being under the threat and stress of needing to evacuate.
And, for some, the need to stay in shelters which are not desirable. Or to be stuck in hotels or motels during evacuations, and having the stress of needing to evacuate.

2) The heavy humidity and the living with air conditioning so many months of the year.

I thought any remaining complaints about Florida were very much secondary to numbers 1 and 2 above.

And the rising sea levels and flooding which is occurring now at times, but more looking toward the future for those retiring 20 and 30 years from now. (even though Miami or Miami Beach are experiencing rising sea levels and resultant flooding these days)
Yes, and that's perfectly understandable. However, it's the folks who don't realize that Florida is 65,000 square miles, not every hurricane affects every area, not everyone has to evacuate. I admit Irma was an anomaly as it was a Cat-5 and a moving target across the state from east to west.

Also, the folks who say they'd never move here due to alligators. I've been here six years and have never even see one. That said, I don't walk my dogs close to ANY pond.

Old Today, 06:34 AM

3,211 posts, read 4,472,793 times
1.25 million water lizards in Florida... so you can bet they've seen you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement