Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2019, 06:27 PM

515 posts, read 359,867 times

Advertisements

No Florida for me. It's really a developed swamp. Hot, humid, alligators, and hurricanes. Good luck if you want to move there. I think there are plenty of better places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2019, 06:28 PM

7,066 posts, read 4,510,340 times
K, probably more realistic to look at entire states that have winter since where you are moving is small. Sun, it sounds like you live in Northern Nevada. I have also lived in tornado alley and spent a lot of time in the basement. Good and bad about all places.

Old 09-01-2019, 06:31 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
A direct hit on the gulf side is really quite rare. Hurricanes happen. This is one of the strongest storms ever and isn't "normal."

Old 09-01-2019, 06:44 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
A direct hit on the gulf side is really quite rare. Hurricanes happen. This is one of the strongest storms ever and isn't "normal."
I gather there is a new normal with Greenland melting and heat rising and all. This storm isn't average but it is normal.

Old 09-01-2019, 06:51 PM

19,798 posts, read 9,336,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Good and bad about all places
Absolutely!!!

Old 09-01-2019, 06:58 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,110,417 times
I forgot to mention when I was talking about central NY and snow and cold temperatures.

Those who have lived here all of their lives know how to deal with it. It's part of the "charm" of living here. We all know what's coming. Plenty of plows are out doing the roads. Kids enjoy their snow days off. Good hot meals (stews, soups, etc._ and hot cocoa and coffee. We've come a long way in living in this neck of the woods. People helping each other. You get stuck in a snow bank and before you know it you have one or three guys helping to push you out.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. But I realize that this is where I belong.

Old 09-01-2019, 07:11 PM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I guess anyone who likes Florida is all about getting away from winter, regardless of the relative risk. The few I know just cannot stand northern winters and complain constantly as it comes, as it does every year.
It seems many of the more recent Florida transplants cite their primary reasons for moving to the state are wanting to get away from the cold winters and other cold weather vicissitudes. IMO that alone is a poor reason to uproot and move to a new location, if these transplants haven't done their research into the details of life in Florida (both the good and the bad) before they make that move, they're bound to be unhappy as nowhere is perfect.

I've lived in Florida since 1976, consider the state home, and love it, even the warts.

But IMO, that's the way anyone should feel about the place they choose to call home.

Old 09-01-2019, 07:29 PM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
Does the heat really bother you once you get older? I know older folks that freeze at 80 degrees.

And if you have the funds to be able to retire to Florida, wouldn't you have the fund to evacuate when a hurricane is on the way.

Now whether you don't is up to you.

I've been in one hurricane - wasn't too bad thankfully.

Old 09-01-2019, 07:31 PM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I forgot to mention when I was talking about central NY and snow and cold temperatures.

Those who have lived here all of their lives know how to deal with it. It's part of the "charm" of living here. We all know what's coming. Plenty of plows are out doing the roads. Kids enjoy their snow days off. Good hot meals (stews, soups, etc._ and hot cocoa and coffee. We've come a long way in living in this neck of the woods. People helping each other. You get stuck in a snow bank and before you know it you have one or three guys helping to push you out.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. But I realize that this is where I belong.
I wish i could find the article about seniors and NYC. How more are staying there even during the winter. And how it isn't that bad. They love it.

Old 09-01-2019, 07:39 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,639,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janeace View Post
Any advice as to where to move that doesn’t require hurricane shutters, evacuations and weeks with electricity?
Los Angeles.
San Diego.
San Francisco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement