U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:40 PM

2,623 posts, read 690,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
The hurricane is only one issue. Hot and humid and buggy is way bigger and frequent.
Not to mention New Yawkers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:46 PM

2,623 posts, read 690,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
-hurricanes
-humidity
-sinkholes
-alligators
-palmetto bugs

What's not to like?
Don't forget New Yawkers.

Old Yesterday, 07:55 PM

3,961 posts, read 2,244,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Los Angeles.
San Diego.
San Francisco.
Quickly turning into 3rd world areas with the homelessness epidemic.

Old Yesterday, 08:00 PM
ERH

1,211 posts, read 1,680,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Now, if all you Florida naysayers would each convince a few thousand of your closest friends that Florida really isn't their best go-to retirement or otherwise destination, that'd be great.

There are way too many people moving to Florida, and the unbridled development and overpopulation is ruining the state, in many ways.

So I'm happy to hear when people don't want to move to FL, there ard too many who do.
Amen! Snowbird season is starting soon, so y'all better get to spreading the word.

#MakeFloridaGreatAgain

Old Yesterday, 08:34 PM
JRR

3,806 posts, read 2,291,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG120 View Post
Hurricane Michael, last year, was a strong Cat 4, if not a Cat 5 when it hit Mexico Beach, FL. I think that is both above a Cat 3 and within the last 9 years.
That was my first thought. Then I remembered that Irma was a major when it hit the Keys with 130 mph in 2017 and Harvey also was 130 mph when it came ashore in Texas the same year. I'm not sure where the poster got his facts from about no majors hitting in over 9 years.

Old Yesterday, 09:32 PM

2,504 posts, read 1,727,423 times
I’m waiting for the 11 pm NHC update on Dorian, even though I’m on the Gulf side of Florida. We have been prepared since hurricane season began in June. We were alway prepared for snowstorms and bad weather in NY for 30+ years. It’s what we have always done: hope for the best and prepare for the worst. We were caught unprepared for a frightening river flood in Indiana behind our first house in early spring. That taught us to always be prepared. I’ll let my guard down when Dorian is on its track away from Florida.

The things I like about FL easily outweigh what I don’t. If that scale should tip the other way in the future, I’ll reconsider. I don't see my life in terms of forever, always or never and that includes where I live. I like living in Florida, but I understand it’s not for everyone.

Too many people pick a location and are determined to make it fit unrealistic expectations. The OP is lucky to realize their dream ended before it ever started and can choose another place better suited to them.

Last edited by jean_ji; Yesterday at 10:11 PM..

Old Yesterday, 09:40 PM

3,699 posts, read 2,864,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
Are you sure about that statement?
https://dailycaller.com/2017/06/16/i...ded-in-the-us/

Old Yesterday, 10:19 PM
JRR

3,806 posts, read 2,291,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
That article is over two years old 06/17

Old Yesterday, 11:06 PM

17,611 posts, read 21,493,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
Poisonous Snakes, alligators, poisonous spiders, and bacterial diseases that donít exist in Maine, for example.
Omitted is the preponderance of insects.

Old Yesterday, 11:17 PM

2,499 posts, read 7,834,599 times
I lived in Alabama in the 1990s for 3 years, and traveled around the southeast quite a bit with work in that time. I lived far enough inland not to worry about severe hurricane damage and evacuations. I was back in Alabama for a visit in fall 2004, just a couple of weeks after Cat 3-4 Hurricane Ivan hit the Gulf Coast. I visited Gulf Shores and saw the damage first hand, and learned why it is not a good idea to live close to the coastline in that part of the country. It makes a more lasting impression when you see the results of a hurricane first hand, on the ground, compared to seeing it on TV. The TV view is often just a small, narrow view, you don't get the overwhelming scope of the damage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement