U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 11:17 PM
JRR

3,806 posts, read 2,291,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
Poisonous Snakes, alligators, poisonous spiders, and bacterial diseases that don’t exist in Maine, for example.
I lived in Florida for 50 years as a kid and an adult.

As far as poisonous snakes, had a meeting with a water moccasin once and a rattlesnake once. Both times when I was a kid and fishing in a canal near where I lived. Had a coral snake in my backyard once. Did not come close to getting bit any of those times.

Never had any problem with a gator or a poisonous spider or a bacterial disease.

For most people, Florida drivers are probably more of a menace.

Last edited by JRR; Yesterday at 11:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 12:57 AM

385 posts, read 64,783 times
I lived in FL and New Orleans about 4 years, had to evacuate twice for hurricanes, evacuating didn't bother me but I much prefer NV - humidity and bugs much worse than the heat.

FYI - I have had more encounters with poisonous snakes and insects in the west than the south.

Last edited by ddeemo; Today at 01:32 AM..

Old Today, 01:07 AM

749 posts, read 225,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
Florida will still be a retirement destination after Hurricane Dorian. The worst of the hurricane is going to miss the most populated part of the state. Palm Beach, Broward, and Miami-Dade counties will barely be impacted.
Hurricane Andrew in 1992 was quite devastating, and it hit Palm Beach, Broward, and Miami-Dade counties, especially Miami-Dade. The population of these three South Florida counties have only increased since 1992.
I think it is silly for large population growth to occur in this hurricane prone area. I also think it is silly for large population growth to occur in the desert of Arizona, which has water issue, and a harsh desert climate. The population growth in Arizona has not helped with climate change, often via the urban heat island effect.
Both states should have put efforts into place to reduce population growth. Retirees are just one part of the population growth equation in both states.
Got to disagree with you, there. My guess is that homeowners in Phoenix expend much less energy (and therefore climate change pollution) cooling their Phoenix homes in summer than the average Illinoisan does heating theirs in winter. Plus, they have pleasant evenings, and the advantage of being in a very good location to utilize solar. Many do already to pre-heat their hot water, but as photovoltaic solar panel "value" (efficiency per dollar) goes up in the future, they will have the opportunity to become much more energy-neutral (net zero energy consumers) than almost any other part of the country (save the California coast or Hawaii). With an average annual temperature of about 75įF, I'm amazed there aren't more earth-sheltered homes built out there. In Phoenix, there are typically a at least a few "comfortable" hours to be outside each and every day of the year, (if you don't mind being out in the evening, LOL). Now, as to whether you want to live somewhere that routinely exceeds 110įF in the summer...that's totally up to you. Personally, I hate high humidity, and have only been in Florida twice in my life (which is twice more than I've been to Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and East Texas, LOL). I personally find Illinois summers too humid for my tastes. Makes for a good corn crop, though.

Water in AZ is a concern. Which is easily mitigated by our not shipping our Colorado basin fresh water every year to China via alfalfa exports. Push comes to shove, the Chinese are going to lose that source of hay, or CA will have to build solar-powered desalination plants to produce the water to grow it. Either way, there is PLENTY of fresh water in the USA, we just need to figure out how to utilize it more effectively. If we could put all the fresh water Dorian is currently dumping into Lake Mead, it would probably overfill it.

Old Today, 01:31 AM

21,602 posts, read 44,471,782 times
I've lived in WI all my life. Our winters are a piece of cake compared to the annual predictable natural disasters in FL and the panhandle (and tornado alley, etc). I'll never forget the year New Orleans flooded. And, Biloxi. I've never had to worry about broken windows, house collapse, loss of power for days and days on end, fuel, food and water shortages, need for flood insurance, etc., etc., etc. Why expose oneself to the devastation that comes with annual occurrence of hurricane(s)? I suppose there are parts of FL which escape, but most want to live near the ocean or gulf - and that's where the disasters occur. Last year Irma blew right through the middle of the state - I had friend in Gainesville who took shelter at the Shands Medical Center.

Further, could not stand the heat in the south. Temp in my house is never above 69 degrees. Winter or summer. Colorado might be more my speed. Nevada is too arid. I almost choked to death when I spent a week in Las Vegas in July years ago. And, forget about Texas. My year-round heating/AC bill is $131/mo. for 2,000 sq. ft. I hear tales of well over $300/mo AC in some of these areas. I don't get it. But to each his own. That's what makes the world.

Old Today, 04:42 AM

18,153 posts, read 11,473,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janeace View Post
Hurricane—that’s it, Florida is off the list. As a New Yorker I’ve always placed Florida on the top of my retirement home search list. In fact I have a another visit to Tampa area already planned in a couple months. But with this major hurricane headed to Florida I can only think living there is too much of a stress and hassle. Time to look for less greener pastures, I guess. Hard to give up the dream. These more frequent and stronger storms I believe are the result of climate change...and I don’t see that issue being addressed. Any advice as to where to move that doesn’t require hurricane shutters, evacuations and weeks with electricity?

You are worrying about nothing. We have lived in Florida since 1982 and will never live anywhere else. We have lived in a few other States, from NC to CA, and no place is perfect. Every State has some natural disaster to worry about, from earthquakes to tornados, and you can not live your life worrying about what will happen.

Hurricanes are blown out of proportion IMO. They only come in the fall, and very few come near us. All you do is buy some extra water and supplies and check your insurance policies to make sure they are intact, and in a few days the threat is over.

You can't live your life worrying about "What if ?" When you are out in shorts in December, that makes it all worth it.

Old Today, 05:25 AM

19,182 posts, read 9,910,992 times
Quote:
Hurricaneóthatís it, Florida is off the list. As a New Yorker Iíve always placed Florida on the top of my retirement home search list. In fact I have a another visit to Tampa area already planned in a couple months. But with this major hurricane headed to Florida I can only think living there is too much of a stress and hassle. Time to look for less greener pastures, I guess. Hard to give up the dream. These more frequent and stronger storms I believe are the result of climate change...and I donít see that issue being addressed. Any advice as to where to move that doesnít require hurricane shutters, evacuations and weeks with electricity?
Yeah the yearly threat of hurricanes and evacuations are a significant factor among others in not wanting to retire in Florida. I prefer Arizona.

Old Today, 05:42 AM

6,692 posts, read 2,870,011 times
I've lived though numerous hurricanes and some evacuations, and as bad as some were you go home and life goes on. Houses are now built to withstand major wind storms. You take hurricanes seriously. Given the generally slow movement of hurricanes, you do have time to plan, unlike say tornados, earthquakes or winter storms.

I will add though that in the past ten years hurricanes have been worse. Whereas, most storms were Cat 1s or 2s prior to the 10s, with exceptions of course, but they were exceptions, Hurricanes are stronger. That is worrisome.

Old Today, 05:58 AM

7,663 posts, read 3,147,203 times
Quote:
Hurricaneóthatís it, Florida is off the list. As a New Yorker Iíve always placed Florida on the top of my retirement home search list. In fact I have a another visit to Tampa area already planned in a couple months. But with this major hurricane headed to Florida I can only think living there is too much of a stress and hassle. Time to look for less greener pastures, I guess. Hard to give up the dream. These more frequent and stronger storms I believe are the result of climate change...and I donít see that issue being addressed. Any advice as to where to move that doesnít require hurricane shutters, evacuations and weeks with electricity?
Such a great post, and so informative. Best you stay in New York where the region is safe from coastal storms and are so woke on climate variances.

BTW, we prefer to have electricity during storms.

Old Today, 06:04 AM

16,545 posts, read 10,499,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
I've lived though numerous hurricanes and some evacuations, and as bad as some were you go home and life goes on. Houses are now built to withstand major wind storms. You take hurricanes seriously. Given the generally slow movement of hurricanes, you do have time to plan, unlike say tornados, earthquakes or winter storms.

I will add though that in the past ten years hurricanes have been worse. Whereas, most storms were Cat 1s or 2s prior to the 10s, with exceptions of course, but they were exceptions, Hurricanes are stronger. That is worrisome.
tornadoes and earthquakes, yes.

winter storms, no. They can be and are tracked. I've lived in NY and PA all my life. Spent 35 or so years working at hospitals . Winter storm predictions are actually pretty accurate.

To each their own and I'm sure not pushing the NE to those who like to live in ovens. Just want to clarify the prediction issue.

Old Today, 06:07 AM

10,728 posts, read 5,057,848 times
The native Floridians would be very happy if Dorian causes people from out of state to reconsider moving here. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement