Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2019, 05:04 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,455,055 times

Advertisements

Florida will still be a retirement destination after Hurricane Dorian. The worst of the hurricane is going to miss the most populated part of the state. Palm Beach, Broward, and Miami-Dade counties will barely be impacted.

Hurricane Andrew in 1992 was quite devastating, and it hit Palm Beach, Broward, and Miami-Dade counties, especially Miami-Dade. The population of these three South Florida counties have only increased since 1992.

I think it is silly for large population growth to occur in this hurricane prone area. I also think it is silly for large population growth to occur in the desert of Arizona, which has water issue, and a harsh desert climate. The population growth in Arizona has not helped with climate change, often via the urban heat island effect.

Both states should have put efforts into place to reduce population growth. Retirees are just one part of the population growth equation in both states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2019, 05:20 PM

8,876 posts, read 13,907,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janeace View Post
Hurricane—that’s it, Florida is off the list. As a New Yorker I’ve always placed Florida on the top of my retirement home search list. In fact I have a another visit to Tampa area already planned in a couple months. But with this major hurricane headed to Florida I can only think living there is too much of a stress and hassle. Time to look for less greener pastures, I guess. Hard to give up the dream. These more frequent and stronger storms I believe are the result of climate change...and I don’t see that issue being addressed. Any advice as to where to move that doesn’t require hurricane shutters, evacuations and weeks with electricity?
Using that kind of logic, Disney World and Universal Studios should move to Kansas.

Good luck with wherever your life leads you! There's lots of nice places in this great country.

Old 09-01-2019, 05:45 PM

7,179 posts, read 9,306,900 times
-hurricanes
-humidity
-sinkholes
-alligators
-palmetto bugs

What's not to like?

Old 09-01-2019, 05:49 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,161,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Door County is beautiful. I grew up in Wisconsin. However, I bet more people are injured and killed in winter driving then some of these natural disasters.
Agreed. We live in Georgia and far enough inland not not be affected much or at all from hurricanes. Do you know what else I don't have to worry about? My kids or anyone else spinning out on icy roads in the winter. And I grew up in Canada

Old 09-01-2019, 06:03 PM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Now, if all you Florida naysayers would each convince a few thousand of your closest friends that Florida really isn't their best go-to retirement or otherwise destination, that'd be great.

There are way too many people moving to Florida, and the unbridled development and overpopulation is ruining the state, in many ways.

So I'm happy to hear when people don't want to move to FL, there ard too many who do.

Old 09-01-2019, 06:09 PM

863 posts, read 795,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
You are aware that a major hurricane(cat 3 or above) has not hit the US in more than 9 years, right? So much for increasingly giant storms.
Hurricane Michael, last year, was a strong Cat 4, if not a Cat 5 when it hit Mexico Beach, FL. I think that is both above a Cat 3 and within the last 9 years.

Old 09-01-2019, 06:11 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Now, if all you Florida naysayers would each convince a few thousand of your closest friends that Florida really isn't their best go-to retirement or otherwise destination, that'd be great.

There are way too many people moving to Florida, and the unbridled development and overpopulation is ruining the state, in many ways.

So I'm happy to hear when people don't want to move to FL, there ard too many who do.
So agree, Travelassie, that is why I don't argue and debate those who bring up the "negatives" here (as if there aren't negatives everywhere) Would love to see about half the population leave here.

Old 09-01-2019, 06:12 PM

16,069 posts, read 10,726,642 times
I have been in Florida and the Dominican Republic as hurricanes moved in and saw enough to convince me that I would never live there or buy property there or anywhere with high risk of hurricanes. I lived in tornado country for 65 years and saw one. Tornados can create similar destruction and are more erratic but they tend to last only minutes on the ground and cut a more narrow path than hurricanes.

I retired to a place that has almost no risk of natural disasters. We have a four-season high desert climate with mild seasons and no extremes; no earthquakes to speak of in recent memory; occasional forest fires in the mountains; light snow usually lasts just a few hours on the ground; occasional thunderstorms with brilliant lightning; impressive meteor showers.

Old 09-01-2019, 06:12 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I am in central New York state.

The only really bad weather comes in winter with sizable amounts of snowfall and very cold temperatures.
I'll take that any day of the week.
I guess anyone who likes Florida is all about getting away from winter, regardless of the relative risk. The few I know just cannot stand northern winters and complain constantly as it comes, as it does every year.

Old 09-01-2019, 06:15 PM

19,798 posts, read 9,336,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Door County is beautiful. I grew up in Wisconsin. However, I bet more people are injured and killed in winter driving then some of these natural disasters.
I have no doubt as to the accuracy of your general statement, but actually, Door County is not that bad -- an average of "only" three motor vehicle deaths per year. I think I'll take my chances, lol!

https://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/about...yfatality.aspx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement