Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2019, 06:07 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,398,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
tornadoes and earthquakes, yes.

winter storms, no. They can be and are tracked. I've lived in NY and PA all my life. Spent 35 or so years working at hospitals . Winter storm predictions are actually pretty accurate.

To each their own and I'm sure not pushing the NE to those who like to live in ovens. Just want to clarify the prediction issue.
I grew up in New England. Generally speaking you do not have a week or two to prepare for severe winter storms as with a typical hurricane. That was really my point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2019, 06:10 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,485,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janeace View Post
Hurricane—that’s it, Florida is off the list. As a New Yorker I’ve always placed Florida on the top of my retirement home search list. In fact I have a another visit to Tampa area already planned in a couple months. But with this major hurricane headed to Florida I can only think living there is too much of a stress and hassle. Time to look for less greener pastures, I guess. Hard to give up the dream. These more frequent and stronger storms I believe are the result of climate change...and I don’t see that issue being addressed. Any advice as to where to move that doesn’t require hurricane shutters, evacuations and weeks with electricity?
I live in upstate NY. The area is on 2 rivers, with another tributary river nearby.

In '05, '06, '11 we had floods due to heavy rains.

In '11, a nearby town, the county seat, 1300 of 1600 homes in town flooded.

We lived in a trailer park at the time, high and dry ( besides flood waters have to come up at least 3' before the waters could possibly ebter the house), we were without electricity for 8 days, due to the electric power substation flooding.
We lost electric more than the 3 major floods listed, because minor flooding that encroaches upon the substation causes outages.
Two elementary schools were razed and new ones built....both absolutely destroyed by the flooding in '11.

My point IS. Florida may have hurricanes and all, but you dont have to be in hurricane alley to experience flooding and power outages!

We also had hurricane Agnes in '72 hit and flood the area.
We also had 35" of snow fall in just 16 hours two winters ago, which i realize you may be trying to get away from. Nothing quite like the 100" Erie Pa got last winter in just 4 days.
But point here IS anyplace has its faults.

Good luck with your search.

Old 09-02-2019, 06:24 AM

1,978 posts, read 1,552,557 times
Quote:
Hurricane—that’s it, Florida is off the list. As a New Yorker I’ve always placed Florida on the top of my retirement home search list. In fact I have a another visit to Tampa area already planned in a couple months. But with this major hurricane headed to Florida I can only think living there is too much of a stress and hassle. Time to look for less greener pastures, I guess. Hard to give up the dream. These more frequent and stronger storms I believe are the result of climate change...and I don’t see that issue being addressed. Any advice as to where to move that doesn’t require hurricane shutters, evacuations and weeks with electricity?
You are right, better move to Western Kansas.

Old 09-02-2019, 06:30 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,118,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustyroad70 View Post
You are right, better move to Western Kansas.
Tornadoes!

Old 09-02-2019, 07:00 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times
I think Dusty was being facetious.

Old 09-02-2019, 07:04 AM

14,945 posts, read 12,139,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
I lived in Florida for 50 years as a kid and an adult.

As far as poisonous snakes, had a meeting with a water moccasin once and a rattlesnake once. Both times when I was a kid and fishing in a canal near where I lived. Had a coral snake in my backyard once. Did not come close to getting bit any of those times.

Never had any problem with a gator or a poisonous spider or a bacterial disease.

For most people, Florida drivers are probably more of a menace.
Including the snowbirds.

Old 09-02-2019, 07:09 AM

224 posts, read 228,832 times
Quote:
Get an RV and move with the seasons.

Old 09-02-2019, 07:26 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
I grew up in New England. Generally speaking you do not have a week or two to prepare for severe winter storms as with a typical hurricane. That was really my point.

What's to prepare for a winter storm? That's a powder day. I'm in the ski area parking lot for first chair.

Old 09-02-2019, 07:45 AM

14,945 posts, read 12,139,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I forgot to mention when I was talking about central NY and snow and cold temperatures.

Those who have lived here all of their lives know how to deal with it. It's part of the "charm" of living here. We all know what's coming. Plenty of plows are out doing the roads. Kids enjoy their snow days off. Good hot meals (stews, soups, etc._ and hot cocoa and coffee. We've come a long way in living in this neck of the woods. People helping each other. You get stuck in a snow bank and before you know it you have one or three guys helping to push you out.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. But I realize that this is where I belong.
I think the same is true for long time residents anywhere. They learn to adapt to, and find ways to mitigate the effects of the less desirable events ( such as natural disasters, unrelenting extremes in weather, temperatures) for both themselves and their neighbors.

I don't think I ever was more proud to be a Floridian than the time after Hurricane Andrew ( 1992) in Miami. As miserable as it was with all the destruction, and lack of the amenities we're all too used to, there were countless examples of people helping each other, working together to make things a little better for those around them. I recall neighbors sharing their generators, dividing up the power so that one neighbor hooked up a communal coffee pot, another hooked up his washer for neighborhood use ( this area was without power for a month after Andrew), phone lines were shared as having a working phone line was sporadic at best. Grocery stores near us gave away the meat and frozen items in their freezers, as they had no way of preserving the food, and neighbors cooked the meat on their grills for a communal barbecue/hot meal. I'll never forget the police officers, and volunteers who spent countless hot, humid hours at busy highway and street intersections directing traffic when the signals were out/ or destroyed, and the folks who would hand them bottles of cold water or drinks as they went by.

One of our neighbors' baby developed severe diarrhea, and her pediatrician recommended Pedialyte, there was none to be had, and after searching everywhere, they asked me to see if the staff at the Children's hospital where I worked might suggest a source where they could find some Pedialyte. When I asked the Director of Nursing about this, she gave me ( free of charge), an entire case of Pedialyte for our neighbors' baby.

There were so many similar incidents like this. And I know the same thing happens in areas ravaged by tornadoes and flooding in the midwest, those folks are resilient and self-starting "get 'er done" folks so we don't hear much about it- as I believe, from what I've seen and heard ( my brother lives up near your neck of the woods in upstate NY) the folks where you are that way as well.

Old 09-02-2019, 07:59 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,129,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG120 View Post
Hurricane Michael, last year, was a strong Cat 4, if not a Cat 5 when it hit Mexico Beach, FL. I think that is both above a Cat 3 and within the last 9 years.
Sorry. One in 12 years. And yes it was a Cat 4. 140 mph winds. ONE.

That’s not a sign of increasingly dangerous hurricanes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement