U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 04:50 AM

4,948 posts, read 5,080,444 times

Advertisements

how to handle eating?

Eat fewer meals.

I eat just twice per day at 5 AM and at 2 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 06:07 AM

83 posts, read 16,163 times
This can be one of the most difficult things about retirement . You have to give it some thought before you walk out the door. It will probably take you a year to get out of work mentality mode, as you may still get the occasional call about this or that project or asked work advice etc.

You have extra time on your hands and snacking while reading or watching TV can start to be a new habit before you know it. Have a rough plan on how you want to spend your time before you retire. Especially if your retirement dates differ dramatically when you have a spouse.

VOLUNTEER..... There are so many organizations that need hands on help or perhaps your expertise can still be utilized in a different manner. I help with seniors and low income taxes from January to April 15 . There is a bit of training before hand but only one or two days a week before the season. These centers are typically open for about 5 hours a day. I could work every day if I wanted and sometimes have to cover absent volunteers, but most volunteers work 1 or two days max. Every town of any size has a Red Cross or something similar somewhere close by. They need office help, warehouse, drivers, accountants, trainers, all sorts of help to keep operating cost lower and the donated money going to help people.

Look for the closest gym with a pool linked to a medical facility. One you retire you may have lost that PIA commute and walk into the office from the train station but while it does not sound like much, that is all the exercise a lot of people get. My wife takes the water aerobics classes there a few times a week. They have them morning and evenings for all age groups. The water exercise does not hammer her knees or hips like other exercises do and she has met some people in her age group she likes. She does not care for the younger gyms as she says the atmosphere is so different.

If your both on the cusp of retirement and like history, antiques, crafts, nature, historic homes and estates etc. you will be surprised what is available to see within a few hours drive for free or close enough for an overnight stay. Researching these little trips and the longer ones takes time but you will become really good at finding the out of the best route to places while keeping time in the car between stops to a minimum.

Not every day has to be filled but an exercise plan like a gym membership is very helpful, prevents isolation and lets you snack a little.

Old Today, 07:00 AM

24,233 posts, read 18,049,441 times
One thing I would do is try to maintain some sort of daily structure and accountability. Sitting inside watching the television all day is not healthy from anyone.

Old Today, 07:01 AM

982 posts, read 526,525 times
In retirement, instead of getting up for the crackers, twinkies or ho-hos, I lace up the Asics and go for nice 5-10 mile walk/run. I come back, pop a couple grapes or other fruit into my mouth and I'm all good. I've lost 20+ pounds and down a couple inches in pant size. Gotta love retirement!

Old Today, 07:09 AM

6,535 posts, read 5,221,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBNCHI View Post
In retirement, instead of getting up for the crackers, twinkies or ho-hos, I lace up the Asics and go for nice 5-10 mile walk/run. I come back, pop a couple grapes or other fruit into my mouth and I'm all good. I've lost 20+ pounds and down a couple inches in pant size. Gotta love retirement!
yes - just don't bring those type of things into the house.

Old Today, 07:11 AM

6,535 posts, read 5,221,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
One thing I would do is try to maintain some sort of daily structure and accountability. Sitting inside watching the television all day is not healthy from anyone.
Even if it is one small thing you schedule for the day - it really helps.

That is why i make Thursday my day "off" - . Nothing scheduled then

And by schedule, could even be lunch out with friends.

Old Today, 09:29 AM

13,986 posts, read 6,685,004 times
I’ve actually lost weight since retirement. At first I lost 10-15 lbs. Now I’m working on the next 10lbs. I’ve found a good recipe for success, light soup in the day, pile of vegetables and grilled fish at night. Lost 3-5lbs since Ive come back from my vacation. Oddly enough, when I go to my art class is when I gain weight or not lose weight, even though I stand up on my feet and paint. It’s called inactivity. I eat lots of fruit, so the sugar didn’t hurt.

Old Today, 11:34 AM

5,173 posts, read 3,314,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
Being at home more the last couple of days (due to the hurricane prep) made me realize I need to do something about eating under stress.

I know my husband was just trying to be helpful and buy things we could eat if the power went out - well, 2 boxes of Ritz Crackers and peanut butter.

Well, one box is now gone and the hurricane didn't even hit.

It got me to thinking when I'm home more eventually and retired - how did you handle eating?
I find that crystal light is good for drinking few calories so weight won't be affected like beer would be (Not that I'll give that up) but then there's things to do while passing time.

Being in a library
Being out fishing (Thermos of crystal light and maybe 2-3 tuna sandwiches)
Gentle hiking or just walking around the block 3-4 times. 3-4 times a day

Being active on a limited scale is simple and I think you need more distractions.

Old Today, 11:49 AM

3,757 posts, read 1,653,008 times
I realize you were hurricane-prepping, but otherwise, just don't buy the pre-prepared junk-type food.

We never have that kind of stuff around. I've just never snacked as an adult and got used to one to two meals a day. But I always have a drink around: first a coffee mug that lasts hours, then switch to sparkling water with lime.

Last night when we craved something sweet (only happens when not drinking alcohol, LOL), I had to get up, squeeze limes and make a key lime pie (no crust). So that takes some motivation.

Snack foods---no way!

In fact, it's only in retirement that I've had white flour and sugar around at all. Now there's time to bake.
That's good and bad...

Old Today, 03:57 PM

13,934 posts, read 25,525,783 times
I already know I will eat out of boredom. I love to cook and bake. Nothing healthy. I can't think of a single thing I want to make with kale as an ingredient. Now cookies, cakes and candy I would make all day long. Since I know I will eat when bored, I just don't keep good food in the house. Things I like well enough to overeat. Right now in the fridge there is cheese, low carb wraps, and liverwurst. Maybe a carrot or 2. And that's it. If I don't have food, I won't eat it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement