U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:40 AM

7,973 posts, read 4,518,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Retirement isn't the problem that's been previously suggested; having a life and an identity that is not about work-work-work is the problem. The question is: what actions are you taking to get a life that has nothing to do with a job?
I "have a life" and am in fact one who usually lectures others about work/play life balance. That's not the issue. Again, I plan to relocate and will re-establish my "life" there. The problem is that I can't decide on a location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:43 AM

2,995 posts, read 4,428,715 times
No plan is a plan for failure. I hit the ground running and 4 years in, I'm kicking butt.

Old Yesterday, 09:45 AM

2,532 posts, read 3,735,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
So will you retire on schedule regardless, even if a plan is not in place?
That is still an open discussion.

Old Yesterday, 09:46 AM

7,632 posts, read 8,833,984 times
Perfect is the enemy of good (enough). Life is a journey, so go on a journey of discovery and see what insights emerge.

Old Yesterday, 09:47 AM

2,263 posts, read 1,412,783 times
Quote:
I "have a life" and am in fact one who usually lectures others about work/play life balance. That's not the issue. Again, I plan to relocate and will re-establish my "life" there. The problem is that I can't decide on a location.
Maybe if you didn't have to go to work every day, you would be able to relax enough (after some time) to actually figure out where you want to move to. You will have time to visit various locations with no time constraints.

You don't have to plan the rest of your life before you retire. You only need to plan the next step. And maybe the next step for you is some time to decompress and figure out where you want to be.

Old Yesterday, 09:48 AM

1,129 posts, read 444,641 times
Quote:
My fear is that if I don't one day just retire, I'll sit here and vacillate between plans and stagnate indefinitely. I sometimes think that stopping work would compel me to choose an alternative plan and act on it, no matter the consequence. The worst case scenario is that it wouldn't, and I would continue to vacillate and stagnate, only without the mental and financial advantages of my current job.

It was my assumption that, given enough time and research, a plan would reveal itself (I do intend to relocate, and I do have hobbies, interests, and even ambitions, but I will be pursuing them in a new location). But it seems instead that the longer I wait, the less clear and simple and the more overwhelming and daunting the many possible options seem.
I occasionally have the same feelings. We have our retirement location selected and even went to far as to purchase 10 acres of land. Worst case scenario is that if something changes, we can always sell the land.

The thought of coordinating the selling of one home, possibility with my wife here alone, building a new home, making the physical move, etc, etc, etc can be overwhelming but, at the appropriate time, I'll pull the trigger and start these projects. I'll make several trips between here and there in the process and I know it'll be occasionally stressful but, at the end of the day, it's where we want to be. That benefit is worth the cost.

Old Yesterday, 09:52 AM

6,007 posts, read 4,984,787 times
Quote:
My fear is that if I don't one day just retire, I'll sit here and vacillate between plans and stagnate indefinitely. I sometimes think that stopping work would compel me to choose an alternative plan and act on it, no matter the consequence. The worst case scenario is that it wouldn't, and I would continue to vacillate and stagnate, only without the mental and financial advantages of my current job.

It was my assumption that, given enough time and research, a plan would reveal itself (I do intend to relocate, and I do have hobbies, interests, and even ambitions, but I will be pursuing them in a new location). But it seems instead that the longer I wait, the less clear and simple and the more overwhelming and daunting the many possible options seem.
Analysis paralysis. Have you made a list of what you want in a retirement location? The "must haves, "the nice to haves", and the total "deal breakers"? That's a good place to start. Then look at your likes /dislikes concerning the things that really can't be changed about an entire area, like climate, proximity to X (X being your own thing like kids & grands, beach, big city, whatever). Once you do that you should be able to take a map of the US and just crossing off areas that won't work. That should keep you busy for a bit and narrow down the possibilities.

Another thing to remember is that your decision is not necessarily irrevocable. If you choose a place and it doesn't work out the way you hoped, so what? You can always move. Or snowbird/sunbird if there's a season you can't hang with. If you get bored you can always take a PT fun job. Don't make it a big all or nothing decision...it's just the next phase of your life, not necessarily the big, final, everlasting phase.

Old Yesterday, 09:53 AM

6,007 posts, read 4,984,787 times
Quote:

Analysis paralysis. Have you made a list of what you want in a retirement location? The "must haves, "the nice to haves", and the total "deal breakers"? That's a good place to start. Then look at your likes /dislikes concerning the things that really can't be changed about an entire area, like climate, proximity to X (X being your own thing like kids & grands, beach, big city, whatever). Once you do that you should be able to take a map of the US and just cross off areas that won't work. That should keep you busy for a bit and narrow down the possibilities.

Another thing to remember is that your decision is not necessarily irrevocable. If you choose a place and it doesn't work out the way you hoped, so what? You can always move. Or snowbird/sunbird if there's a season you can't hang with. If you get bored you can always take a PT fun job. Don't make it a big all or nothing decision...it's just the next phase of your life, not necessarily the big, final, everlasting phase.

Old Yesterday, 10:10 AM

106 posts, read 24,897 times
You seemed to have made the correct decision for you at this particular time in your life. While you are working go ahead and plan your retirement. I am a big believer in lists. Make a to-do list detailing some of the stuff you want to do in retirement. Personally I have over about 45 activities and other items on my retirement to do list.

Will I be able to get to all of them? Probable not.

Will I enjoy all of them? No, but if I do not like an activity I will move on the the next.

As for location. plan on taking extended vacations while you are working in the area that you think you want to relocate and check it out.

Old Yesterday, 11:26 AM

3,757 posts, read 1,654,854 times
In a sense, you are lucky to HAVE so many options. Many would-be retirees are limited in their choices, whether it's kids, weather or income.

We had some friends who retired in their 50s (not wealthy) and lived a year in every location that appealed to them. This really satisfied them as far as experiencing the places that always called to them. They lived a year in Charleston, Manhattan, New Orleans and a few years in Moab, UT (he is an artist and both avid hikers). They ended up buying a place in Tacoma when they were done "visiting".

Maybe you could try that?

For us, we just looked for an ocean we could afford. Everything else conforms around that fulfillment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement