U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2019, 01:53 PM

8,280 posts, read 5,072,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
In a sense, yes, choice is good. In another sense, those who have no other options at least know what their retirement plan is without having to agonize over it. At the present time, I'm limited by elderly pets who are not in good health. Until they pass away (naturally), I can't really rent in different locations to check things out or even take vacations -- both of which would be obvious next steps -- as I don't have a reliable pet sitter I could or would trust at their ages.

Shouldn't the thread title be "Retirement Defurred"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2019, 03:12 PM

407 posts, read 68,754 times
Basically, we only really looked at if we had enough to retire, expected we would figure it out as we went.

Old 09-03-2019, 05:10 PM

3,471 posts, read 4,042,550 times
Quote:
I suppose to some, complications can look like excuses. I've been told to "just get rid of the animals," and that's not happening.
Oh H e l l NO! I'd get rid of those people who told you this first before my elderly pets, who have come to depend on you for their care and comfort. Why are people so crueL?

I would not make any plans until the pets have passed, as you really cannot do much until they do. In the meantime, this is the perfect time to investigate/research other places, and to get rid of things you don't want or need in your retirement. Take advantage of the time you have before the final decision.

And, don't forget this is City-Data. Go to the home page and look into all the great information given on any of your preferences and ideas for a move.

You will come out of this undecision fulfilled. Just be patient and do your due-diligence.

Old 09-03-2019, 05:43 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,562,776 times
I deferred my retirement for two years but based it on financial reasons. I calculated how much my pension, cash savings, 401k, and Social Security would increase each year and ran Firecalc to see how much more I would be able to spend if I waited (or how much longer the money would last). If that amount had been insignificant, I would have retired sooner. Like others said, you can always declutter and research places to relocate even if you cannot move yet.

On the other hand, staying home with two sick cats is not fun. When my cats were old and unhealthy, they constantly wanted my attention, more food, and to go in and out of the house. Sometimes going to work was preferrable to dealing with the fur babies.

Old 09-03-2019, 06:21 PM

5,613 posts, read 5,007,766 times
Quote:
I suppose to some, complications can look like excuses. I've been told to "just get rid of the animals," and that's not happening.
I hate when people make that suggestion. They obviously have no conception of the relationship between a companion animal and a human, nor value the commitment made to care for them. Glad to hear you aren't planning on following their advice.

Old 09-03-2019, 06:30 PM

2,006 posts, read 371,482 times
Otter, you might also think about the fact that there are likely multiple places where you could be very happy. Once you narrow it down to a few, you're on the home stretch. Maybe once you've done your research -- that's the time to trust your intuition.

I hope you'll take the plunge sooner rather than later and enjoy your retirement - it sounds like you have some great plans!

Oh, and I agree ... the elderly pets are very important. You're a good caregiver for them.

Old 09-04-2019, 04:59 AM

12,251 posts, read 5,348,830 times
Quote:
In a sense, yes, choice is good. In another sense, those who have no other options at least know what their retirement plan is without having to agonize over it. At the present time, I'm limited by elderly pets who are not in good health. Until they pass away (naturally), I can't really rent in different locations to check things out or even take vacations -- both of which would be obvious next steps -- as I don't have a reliable pet sitter I could or would trust at their ages. That's yet another contributing factor that most people don't seem to understand.
Use this time to research, research, research. Figure out what you like, don't like and start to narrow it down. You can find nearly all the information regarding a location online. You can walk the streets virtually on google maps. You can do research on local hospitals, places to eat, crime, churches, parks, weather, politics, whatever is important to you.
When the time comes and your pets are no longer with you due to their ages, then you can do a little bit of traveling and see 2-3 places first hand and make a final decision. The point is you should start now. It doesn't cost anything to get information from you computer now and then expand on it when you are able to.

Old 09-04-2019, 05:53 AM

93 posts, read 55,594 times
I was not sure about how I would fill my time post work, but decided it was better to grapple with that issue sooner rather than later. Put another way, if after some time in retirement I decided I needed to take up a new hobby or activity to fill my days it would be easier to do that in my late 50s rather than late 60s.
As it has transpired, pottering about the house, gym, some artistic endeavours combined with family responsibilities has kept me busy. I am now in the camp of wondering how I had time for work.

Old 09-04-2019, 06:22 AM

6,470 posts, read 4,877,858 times
Someone mentioned a bunch of excuses. I agree. If otter truly has interests, activities and ambitions for retirement, then it should not be absolutely necessary to move to begin retirement living. In addition I see no reason that older animals cannot be moved to a new location.

Old 09-04-2019, 07:36 AM

7,988 posts, read 4,524,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Someone mentioned a bunch of excuses. I agree. If otter truly has interests, activities and ambitions for retirement, then it should not be absolutely necessary to move to begin retirement living. In addition I see no reason that older animals cannot be moved to a new location.
My "interests, activities, and ambitions for retirement" lie elsewhere, as I'm living in a small town for my job (and formerly my family). Currently, they are in two large cities some distance away and, as I grow older, driving two to four hours in order to pursue my hobbies is getting to be a pain. I still participate, but not to the degree I did 5, 10, and 20 years ago. One of the critereon for the final destination is that those things be available where I live. And moving elderly, sick animals -- along with a household -- alone is no picnic. They can barely tolerate being "moved" across town to the vet's office, so the thought of packing them into a car and driving them across the country (to what destination if I can't go scout it out?) or putting them in the cargo hold of a plane is out of the question. Interesting that some see these complications as "excuses."

Last edited by otterhere; 09-04-2019 at 08:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement