U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2019, 07:26 PM

658 posts, read 282,145 times

Advertisements

Over the past couple of decades several of my colleagues have retired. In fact, I’m now the old guy on my wing. I recall being perplexed years ago when one gentleman was about to retire and seemed really unsettled about it. After I witnessed that a couple more times it finally occurred to me that retiring wasn’t always a party. Many people stress like crazy about it, maybe even dread it.

Now I’ve got a handful of years left at this point. Not sure how it will affect me emotionally. I look forward to it and am forming some plans, but I do sometimes wonder what I’ll find to fill the hours in a purposeful way. On a positive note I like to liken retirement to freedom, the liberty to pursue what I want to when I want to. Looking forward to that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:23 AM

6,032 posts, read 4,992,524 times
Regarding pretty much anything in life, if you think you can't, you're right. However if you believe you can, then you will.

My DH and I believed that at age 55 and 60 we could move our 13 year old Beagle and 15 year old lab mix, and a 12 year old cat, and an 86 year old MIL with mild dementia, and a household of stuff, including 4 motorcycles, 3 cars, an 18 foot long rowing shell, across the country all by ourselves. Oh we did have hire the help of a 16 year old for about 4 hours loading 1 of the 2 pods and a 32 foot truck that it took to do it. It took 3 days to load it all up. And yes, we were moving to a rental for a few months until we could find a place to buy. And then 4 months later we had to move it all again to the place we bought 4 miles away. So I know it CAN be done. Not as easy with just one person, but you can hire help. You can hire a moving company instead of cheaping out like we did and moving everything ourselves.

If you want to do it, you can, sometimes by sheer force of will. You just don't have the will yet. Complications can be solved.

Old Yesterday, 07:03 PM

26,397 posts, read 33,424,886 times
I can't imagine not retiring because I had no step-by-step plan of what I was going to do afterward. As long as you are financially ready, and you WANT to, then do it. Figure out the small stuff afterward!

Old Yesterday, 07:19 PM

2,270 posts, read 1,415,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
Quick question: how does your health compare to your peers who retired? Has "work" contributed to a better mental and physical situation or not?

I remember a discussion I had years ago with an airline pilot who drove the shuttle vehicle for a local dealer. He stated that there was a group of five of them who retired at the same time. He stated that the two who started other jobs after retiring from their careers were doing much better physically than those who weren't as active. He attributed that to work. I'm curious of your situation and if you had noticed a difference.

Thanks!
I wouldn't attribute the better health to working. I would attribute it to being active and engaging with other people (being social).

Old Yesterday, 07:59 PM

32,343 posts, read 37,083,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
I wouldn't attribute the better health to working. I would attribute it to being active and engaging with other people (being social).
And eating right, not over indulging and just plain old good luck.

Old Yesterday, 08:33 PM

14,177 posts, read 20,685,790 times
Dear OP,
Based upon all your previous posts, you over analyze everything.
Just jump.
,dave

Old Yesterday, 09:10 PM

4,548 posts, read 2,713,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Has anyone else delayed retirement after becoming eligible simply because of indecision about what to do next? I feel foolish doing that, but I figure I might as well keep working and earning money until I figure out where I want to live and what I want to do with my time. If so, how did you finally reach a conclusion and formulate a plan for the rest of your life? I seem to be the only person I know without a blueprint or at least unwilling to jump off the cliff without one drawn up.
So, whats to stop you from ' drawing up a plan '??

For instance:

What things have you always wanted to do but never had time with working, family and such?

Where have you always wanted to travel to?

What hobbies do you have or want to try?

What is on your bucket list? If you don't have one, develop one, tick them off one by one in retirement.

When i was medically retired at age 40, i thought whatever will i do? But i will tell you even having all day to myself, there still weren't enough hours in a day to get every thing done that i wantedto do. No grass grew under my feet, except the days i was physically or mentally unable to do anything.

Dont work yourself till your death just because you cant answer the "what will I do" questions.

Youll be surprised at what all 'trouble' you can get into when you have time to!!! (Or no time to get it done!!)

Best of luck to you...

Old Yesterday, 09:42 PM

31 posts, read 18,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
My fear is that if I don't one day just retire, I'll sit here and vacillate between plans and stagnate indefinitely. I sometimes think that stopping work would compel me to choose an alternative plan and act on it, no matter the consequence. The worst case scenario is that it wouldn't, and I would continue to vacillate and stagnate, only without the mental and financial advantages of my current job.

It was my assumption that, given enough time and research, a plan would reveal itself (I do intend to relocate, and I do have hobbies, interests, and even ambitions, but I will be pursuing them in a new location). But it seems instead that the longer I wait, the less clear and simple and the more overwhelming and daunting the many possible options seem.
I was in a similar situation and couldn’t decide when. So rather than a date, I made a financial goal. I determined that if I could save X, and have X in the “bank”, then I would leave. I’m goal driven and this worked for me. I found that as I got closer to that goal, what I wanted to do with my life and X became more clear.

Old Today, 07:28 AM

7,989 posts, read 4,524,423 times
Believe it or not, I do have those goals in mind and also a pretty clear vision of what I would like my retirement to look like; I always have. I can also find plenty to do (although it's inconvenient from my current location) and even, if necessary, entertain myself. It's just not knowing exactly where I want to live and the current complications, or what several here call "excuses," in getting from here to there. Elderly sick cats; not dogs. That makes both traveling - with or without them, and I won't travel without them - AND renting a place problematic. I've never had pets live this long, so my original timeline is now thrown off. I just assumed that by the time I retired, they'd be gone, and I'd go pet-free for a while during the exploration/transition period. But they're still here, and I'm very glad of it. I was just curious if anyone else had life throw them a curve ball, even a good one, making them unready when retirement hit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement