U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2019, 07:52 AM

6,563 posts, read 4,290,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
Older people should never use Nyquil, Benadryl, Unisom or any of the other OTC sleep drugs that are anticholinergic. Studies have correlated the use of these drugs with increased risk of dementia in seniors. (This doesn't necessarily mean that OTC sleep drugs cause dementia, only that researchers have found an association between the two.)

https://www.theseniorlist.com/medica...inergic-drugs/

I stopped using those remedies after reading about this study and now rely on natural remedies such as melatonin, CBD and cannabis.
There are a couple items in the link that do not make a whole lot of sense to me.

First the following:

"Anticholinergics also decrease how much you sweat. It’s easy for older adults to become dehydrated and for their core body temperature to rise."

If it decreases the sweat function how does that dehydrate you?

In the list of drugs that are supposed to be bad for you are:

"Hydrochlorothiazide (Esidrix, Dyazide, HydroDIURIL, Maxzide & literally scores of other medications for high blood pressure)"

Hydrochlorothiazide is a diuretic which makes you pee a lot. Yet the article states that:

"Why are Anticholinergic drugs used?
Drugs with anticholinergic properties have been used in medicine for decades to treat conditions such as:
Overactive bladder and urinary incontinence
..."

There are some contradictions within that article.

By luck I discovered, while working, that if I took a few(3) ibuprofens at bedtime, i could go through the night without the need to get up to urinate, where I was getting up several times a night. I got around five hours of deeper sleep, but no more than that. I would wake up alert, and have no drowsiness feeling at all. It was a lot better than 6-8 hours of fitful sleep getting up several times a night, feeling like I need to stay in bed because I was drowsy. I avoid taking any more ibuprofens than that unless I do something that makes my muscles ache.

Since I retired I have been substituting one ibuprofen PM or acetaminophen PM for one of the ibuprofens, and now I can get 7-8 hours of good sleep. I feel great when I get up in the morning, and I have even cut back on the amount of coffee I drink in the morning. My wife has stopped complaining about my snoring as well. That said, I will take heed of any changes to my mental faculties after reading the link, but for now I remain a skeptic.

Last edited by Cruzincat; 09-04-2019 at 08:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2019, 08:16 AM

24,469 posts, read 18,214,071 times
Turns out it was Benadryl. Talked to her this morning and she's doing better. I'm sick and working from home today, took a Benadryl last night, and I was bug-eyed all night.

Old 09-04-2019, 08:22 AM

2,283 posts, read 1,430,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
There are a couple items in the link that do not make a whole lot of sense to me.

First the following:

"Anticholinergics also decrease how much you sweat. Itís easy for older adults to become dehydrated and for their core body temperature to rise."

If it decreases the sweat function how does that dehydrate you?

In the list of drugs that are supposed to be bad for you are:

"Hydrochlorothiazide (Esidrix, Dyazide, HydroDIURIL, Maxzide & literally scores of other medications for high blood pressure)"

Hydrochlorothiazide is a diuretic which makes you pee a lot. Yet the article states that:

"Why are Anticholinergic drugs used?
Drugs with anticholinergic properties have been used in medicine for decades to treat conditions such as:
Overactive bladder and urinary incontinence
..."

There are some contradictions within that article.

By luck I discovered, while working, that if I took a few(3) ibuprofens at bedtime, i could go through the night without the need to get up to urinate, where I was getting up several times a night. I got around five hours of deeper sleep, but no more than that. I would wake up alert, and have no drowsiness feeling at all. It was a lot better than 6-8 hours of fitful sleep getting up several times a night, feeling like I need to stay in bed because I was drowsy. I avoid taking any more ibuprofens than that unless I do something that makes my muscles ache.

Since I retired I have been substituting one ibuprofen PM or acetaminophen PM for one of the ibuprofens, and now I can get 7-8 hours of good sleep. I feel great when I get up in the morning, and I have even cut back on the amount of coffee I drink in the morning. My wife has stopped complaining about my snoring as well. That said, I will take heed of any changes to my mental faculties after reading the link, but for now I remain a skeptic.
Thanks for pointing out the inconsistencies.

Old 09-04-2019, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Turns out it was Benadryl. Talked to her this morning and she's doing better. I'm sick and working from home today, took a Benadryl last night, and I was bug-eyed all night.
Benadryl is for allergies, not for a cold.

Old 09-04-2019, 08:53 AM

3,087 posts, read 1,674,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
The info on those drugs says not to take them (or be careful) after age 65.

Drink a shot of whiskey or ....
Be well.

This. Just pour a shot of Scotch/Irish whiskey & add some of water, warm water if you prefer or ice, an hour or two before bedtime. Just one glass sipped leisurely, so much better than a vile brew of chemicals & synthetic colorants.

It's called the "holy water" for a reason.

Old 09-04-2019, 11:00 AM

2,780 posts, read 1,044,172 times
Nyquil used to put me to sleep years ago. But after awhile it started having the opposite effect on me, and made me feel agitated, and unable to sleep. I stay far away from it now days.

Old 09-04-2019, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
This. Just pour a shot of Scotch/Irish whiskey & add some of water, warm water if you prefer or ice, an hour or two before bedtime. Just one glass sipped leisurely, so much better than a vile brew of chemicals & synthetic colorants.

Just be sure you don't mix your hot toddy with the pills. You may not wake up.

Old 09-04-2019, 11:22 AM

2,780 posts, read 1,044,172 times
Here is another article on this subject for our collection.

https://www.verywellhealth.com/age-i...utm_source=msn

Old 09-04-2019, 12:57 PM

12,627 posts, read 12,800,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post

Drambuie is a scotch-based liqueur that is very tasty. It is wonderful for easing chest congestion.

Black elderberry has been shown to cut the duration of colds and the flu in half.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11399518

There are far more effective medicines than snake oil like Nyquil.

Old 09-04-2019, 01:29 PM

6,113 posts, read 5,038,630 times
Virtually all PM type meds contain diphenhydramine (Benadryl) as the sleep inducing part. Even the ones designed JUST for sleep. Nothing magical or different than plain old Benadryl + whatever it's for, like Tylenol PM is just Tylenol + diphenhydramine.

I'm surprised it had that effect on her, it might have interacted with her other meds, or she's got a whole different issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement