U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2019, 10:54 AM

8,412 posts, read 5,163,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I have found since I was a young woman that I cannot take the ADULT dosage of any of these OTC products, including Tylenol. They either made me spacey or gave me "agita". It is not because of any other medications I take, then or now, but probably because of my size (5'1" 100 lbs.) If a child's dosage works fine, what is wrong with taking less, or for that matter nothing at all?
I think your reasoning is sound.

Not long ago someone recommended Children's Benadryl liquid to me, mainly because you have full control over the dosage and can adjust it accordingly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2019, 11:12 AM

6,113 posts, read 5,038,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
Benadryl (diphenhydramine) is not a decongestant. It's an antihistamine.
I realized that a while after I typed it, but was unable to edit anymore. But it's still used in many cold meds. I was trying to find a cold med WITHOUT it at my local grocery, for daytime use without the sleepies and an actual decongestant, and had a hard time finding one other than Dayquil.

Old 09-05-2019, 07:31 PM

2,283 posts, read 1,430,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
OTC remedies should not be used in that way (daily whether needed or not). Especially NSAIDS. Glad to hear you stopped, and there was no damage.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3158445/

Older adults commonly take nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) chronically. Studies of older adults show that chronic NSAID use increases the risk of peptic ulcer disease, acute renal failure, and stroke/myocardial infarction. Moreover, chronic NSAID use can exacerbate a number of chronic diseases including heart failure and hypertension, and can interact with a number of drugs (eg, warfarin, corticosteroids).
The problem is, what if you do have pain everyday? What can you take? Tylenol does nothing for me and is hard on the liver. I have fibromyalgia. Without the meds, I become non-functional.

Old 09-05-2019, 11:40 PM

8,412 posts, read 5,163,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
The problem is, what if you do have pain everyday? What can you take? Tylenol does nothing for me and is hard on the liver. I have fibromyalgia. Without the meds, I become non-functional.
Have you tried visiting a pain clinic? A multidisciplinary approach to relieving pain is popular now.

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/f...d-some-relief/

Old 09-06-2019, 10:40 AM

13,952 posts, read 25,588,539 times
I love benedryl. Best sleep ever. But I have read all the benedryl/dementia links so I only take it once a month or so.

Old 09-08-2019, 04:43 AM

34,219 posts, read 42,834,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I love benedryl. Best sleep ever. But I have read all the benedryl/dementia links so I only take it once a month or so.
Check with your doctor about Melatonin. I've never really been a good sleeper, no problem falling asleep but staying asleep or going back to sleep again after waking up at 1AM.

I started taking Melatonin an hour or so before going to bed several years ago and it has seemed to help. I still only sleep 6 hours a night but it's now uninterrupted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement