Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2019, 08:43 PM

7,682 posts, read 1,262,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I haven’t used Benadryl for years now. They can be addictive. I did when my oldest child was a baby. My body got worse not better.
Benadryl actually keeps me up at night--that any other OTC medication for sleep. The only thing that will knock me out is prescription Ambien.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2019, 08:46 PM

21,422 posts, read 8,631,428 times
Older people should never use Nyquil, Benadryl, Unisom or any of the other OTC sleep drugs that are anticholinergic. Studies have correlated the use of these drugs with increased risk of dementia in seniors. (This doesn't necessarily mean that OTC sleep drugs cause dementia, only that researchers have found an association between the two.)

https://www.theseniorlist.com/medica...inergic-drugs/

I stopped using those remedies after reading about this study and now rely on natural remedies such as melatonin, CBD and cannabis.

Old 09-03-2019, 09:02 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,884,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
Older people should never use Nyquil, Benadryl, Unisom or any of the other OTC sleep drugs that are anticholinergic. Studies have correlated the use of these drugs with increased risk of dementia in seniors. (This doesn't necessarily mean that OTC sleep drugs cause dementia, only that researchers have found an association between the two.)

https://www.theseniorlist.com/medica...inergic-drugs/

I stopped using those remedies after reading about this study and now rely on natural remedies such as melatonin, CBD and cannabis.
Thank you for posting this. That is quite a list. I will have to study it.

Old 09-03-2019, 09:05 PM

12,050 posts, read 10,191,228 times
should add something about the Nyquil

My sibling has heart issues and high blood pressure. She would use NyQuil. We would tell her it wasn't good for her.

We would go with her to her heart doctor appointments. Now this guy is not some quack. He is an awesome doctor. We told him she used NyQuil.

He said - it was okay - just not too much. We were surprised. But then i figure - if it was that bad - they woulnd't sell it.

But i also tell my fanatic on time pill taking siblings that they shouldn't freak out if they don't take their meds as scheduled. If it was that important, they would keep you in the hospital 24/7 administering your drugs. lol

Old 09-03-2019, 09:29 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,672,727 times
I don’t even use Claritin anymore. Somehow I’m much healthier in my 50s and 60s then in my 30s and 40s.

Old 09-04-2019, 06:21 AM

13,498 posts, read 18,102,786 times
I have four stents and take a couple of prescription heart medications.

And I avoid using those sleeping aids and painkillers that the doctors say are possibly dangerous in combination with my prescription meds. This is rather easy to do as I did not find in the past that they were effective.

Old 09-04-2019, 06:54 AM

898 posts, read 592,412 times
Keep in mind that the OTC pain meds such as Tylenol PM, are all basically the Tylenol and Benadryl combined. So take two Tylenol PM is like taking two Tylenol and two Benadryl.

Wife and I use generic Zyrtec for allergies. My 89yo father has been taking it and it knocks him out. 9am nap almost daily.

Old 09-04-2019, 07:15 AM

15,242 posts, read 12,834,835 times
Here's a useful chart that explains why some medications should be avoided in the elderly if possible:

https://www.uth.tmc.edu/hgec/GemsAnd...sCriteria.html

For Benadryl (diphenhydramine), the caution reads:

Sedating and strongly anti-cholinergic; promote delirium, falls, urinary retention, dry mouth, constipation; use of diphenhydramine may be appropriate for acute treatment of severe allergic reactions

The warning about Benadryl came out because many people were misusing it as a sleep aid. However, it is safe to use Benadryl infrequently to combat an allergic reaction. Indeed, many people owe their lives to it.

Just don't pop one every night because you can't sleep.

Old 09-04-2019, 08:15 AM

20,956 posts, read 8,584,827 times
The info on those drugs says not to take them (or be careful) after age 65.

I was a fairly heavy user of them.....and now, if I ever take them (once a month or less), I take 1/5th the dose indicated...a tiny part of a pill.

The same goes for MOST Medications as one advances in age. Take less. The mechanisms in PM and even in Melatonin work just as well when you take less...that is, they are not true sleeping pills or hypnotics, rather some placebo and a slightly tired feeling that helps you sleep.

READ ALL LABELS AND CAUTIONS - THEY ARE THERE FOR A REASON!

https://www.aarp.org/health/drugs-su...h-caution.html

Yeah, most everything is on there.....

Drink a shot of whiskey or take some light and pure opiates if in pain, etc......not BOTH together.
Don't use "new" opiates like Tramadol. You want the real thing - codeine, hydromorphone, etc.

Be well.

Old 09-04-2019, 08:18 AM

20,956 posts, read 8,584,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
should add something about the Nyquil

He said - it was okay - just not too much. We were surprised. But then i figure - if it was that bad - they woulnd't sell it.

But i also tell my fanatic on time pill taking siblings that they shouldn't freak out if they don't take their meds as scheduled. If it was that important, they would keep you in the hospital 24/7 administering your drugs. lol
Never consider that the truth. There are lots of things on the OTC shelf and in the supplements and vitamin section that will hurt you badly.

As far as the pill times or missed pills...yes, probably some truth there. Each person metabolizes differently anyway, so until far in the future when they do our DNA workups and give us special time release pills to match, the exact time probably doesn't matter much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement