U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2019, 12:26 PM

1,811 posts, read 850,932 times

Advertisements

I lost mine when cancer surgery removed my olfactory nerves. It had been impaired for years. You might want to have a doctor order a cat scan to make sure you don't have an issue that's causing the loss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2019, 01:34 PM

7,649 posts, read 8,845,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Old age is not for sissies. I just discovered I've lost my sense of smell.

It's called anosmia. I am praying my case is temporary.

I don't know what could have caused it other than stress and/or "old age" (but I don't know what goes wrong in the aging process to cause this).

Not happy about it!

Will start taking multivitamin again - and zinc is supposed to be beneficial.

A cold or allergies like hay fever will affect my sense of smell, but otherwise it's fine. Use of a Neti Pot has been helpful for soothing & clearing my sinuses in such cases.

Old 09-05-2019, 01:43 PM

5,324 posts, read 2,034,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
Where did you hear that zinc is supposed to be beneficial for anosmia? Most places say that zinc can actually cause one to lose their sense of smell.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/faq-20057769
That's nasal spray that you are referring to (zinc nasal spray). I am talking about a supplement, and I "heard" about it through google research.

Old 09-05-2019, 03:23 PM

269 posts, read 41,676 times
My sense of smell is still doing good. My husband, 65 yrs old, can't smell flowers. Whenever there are flowers around or the ones I grow I ask him can you smell this one? Nope. He says he's never been able to smell flowers even as a kid. He can smell food really well tho

Old 09-05-2019, 03:32 PM

4,132 posts, read 1,653,237 times
sort of like fluffy posted above:

after deviated septum surgery, my sense went away, but recovered and was a lot better.
however, my sense of taste has declined after said surgery and has not recovered.
for example: whole milk tastes like 2%, and 2% tastes like thick water.

Old 09-05-2019, 03:57 PM

8,526 posts, read 9,290,705 times
OK, I’ll admit it. I don’t smell so good

Old 09-05-2019, 03:58 PM

20,232 posts, read 19,232,505 times
https://www.healthline.com/health/zinc-deficiency

decreased sense of smell and taste

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/320393.php

maintaining the sense of smell and taste

There are a lot of articles that will tell you that zinc deficiency is one of the causes of lack of sense of smell. I also noticed some articles about some sort of zinc nasal spray that you should NOT take. The spray causes loss of sense of smell. Take tablets or capsules of zinc. Older people tend to be deficient in zinc so it's not surprising that some lose their sense of smell.

There can be other causes but zinc deficiency is one.

Old 09-05-2019, 11:43 PM

8,290 posts, read 5,072,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
after deviated septum surgery, my sense went away, but recovered and was a lot better.

I had that surgery, too. I still have a deviated septum.

Old Yesterday, 04:45 AM

147 posts, read 61,459 times
I don't know if this helps the OP, but Yes.

Mine was the result of a severe blow to the head while working offshore rigs. After I regained consciousness* I couldn't smell much of anything. At that time, living 4 to a room with smelly roustabouts, it was probably a blessing.

But being serious, it's never returned even after 40 years. It's not completely gone, but very very limited. Garlic, gasoline, strong perfumes, etc. I can pick up. Subtle stuff (including myself) aren't detected. I learned to be really careful about bathing, deodorant, etc. so I can exist in polite company.

*caused some other problems that are, apparently, lifelong -- but I learned to compensate OK.

Old Yesterday, 06:32 AM

32,351 posts, read 37,090,938 times
Better thread would be "Have you lost your sense of Humor?".

Maybe I'll start that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement