U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:52 AM

39,115 posts, read 15,371,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullin2 View Post
I don't know if this helps the OP, but Yes.

Mine was the result of a severe blow to the head while working offshore rigs. After I regained consciousness* I couldn't smell much of anything. At that time, living 4 to a room with smelly roustabouts, it was probably a blessing.

But being serious, it's never returned even after 40 years. It's not completely gone, but very very limited. Garlic, gasoline, strong perfumes, etc. I can pick up. Subtle stuff (including myself) aren't detected. I learned to be really careful about bathing, deodorant, etc. so I can exist in polite company.

*caused some other problems that are, apparently, lifelong -- but I learned to compensate OK.
Olfactory nerves run inside the nasal cavity. A severe blow to the head or whiplash can result in nerve injury when these nerves hit against bone.

Any time a person reports loss of smell, TBI is worth checking out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:54 AM

6,538 posts, read 4,268,954 times
My sense of smell “allows” me to smell when there is bacteria on rags, clothes or whatever that needs to be washed. I first noticed it in restaurants when busboys used rags for too long for wiping down tables. Drives my wife crazy, because if she waits too long to move clothes from the washer to the dryer, I will pick that up. As soon as the towel gets wet I can smell the bacteria.

I am also super sensitive to some perfumes, especially tea rose. I swear some women bathe in it.

I just saw a story about a woman, elderly in fact, that could smell Parkinson’s disease in people, even before they are diagnosed with it.

Old Yesterday, 08:44 AM

31,622 posts, read 14,028,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
No loss of smell for me (only 60). I have always had a super sniffer, sometimes I think a loss of smelling would be a blessing. I can smell B.O. on a person from 6 feet away. :^(
Same here, it's awful I can smell dirty clothes (yes they do have a particular odor) on people when they walk past me. ugh..and I ask to be moved in a restaurant if I am seated next to someone wearing strong perfume.

Old Yesterday, 09:01 AM

5,693 posts, read 3,008,008 times
I, too, have a good sense of smell. It actually seems to be improving with age, or maybe it’s just that I have come to know what those faint bad smells are.

My dogs actually taught me to pay more attention to scents. When we were walking at a former home one day, they were raising their snoots and pausing to sniff more often than usual, and with great focus, as if trying to figure something out. I took their frequent pauses as a red flag, so I stopped and sniffed thoroughly. Well, whaddya know...the barest hint of forest fire announced itself to my nose. I looked and looked all around from our high vantage point but could see no smoke anywhere.

Two days later, the news features screamed that a huge fire in New Mexico, hundreds of miles southwest, was spreading.

Old Yesterday, 09:14 AM

31,622 posts, read 14,028,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
My sense of smell “allows” me to smell when there is bacteria on rags, clothes or whatever that needs to be washed. I first noticed it in restaurants when busboys used rags for too long for wiping down tables. Drives my wife crazy, because if she waits too long to move clothes from the washer to the dryer, I will pick that up. As soon as the towel gets wet I can smell the bacteria.

I am also super sensitive to some perfumes, especially tea rose. I swear some women bathe in it.

I just saw a story about a woman, elderly in fact, that could smell Parkinson’s disease in people, even before they are diagnosed with it.
I don't know if this happens to you, but when I smell something particularly strong it lingers long after the source is gone. When I worked in law enforcement I would put vicks vaporub in my nostrils before being around a decomposing corpse or a scene with a lot of blood because if I didn't I would continue to smell it for hours if not days after. Same thing with strong perfume, if someone comes in my house or rides in my car wearing strong perfume I have to spray ozium to kill the odor after they are gone.

Old Yesterday, 11:15 AM

3,430 posts, read 1,434,847 times
I've lost a great deal of it, that's for sure. Lately I was actually wondering if I'd lost some of my sense of taste, too, since nothing I ate seemed satisfying. Like some others, my sinuses have had more than their fair share of abuse over time: grew up in a family of smokers, smoked myself for many years, lived near the WTC when it went down and smelled it burning for months. It's definitely been diminishing since then, more all the time. The coup de grace was the ENT telling me I had the sinuses of a 70 or 80 yr old (I'm 59).

Old Yesterday, 12:34 PM

6,477 posts, read 4,880,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
That's nasal spray that you are referring to (zinc nasal spray). I am talking about a supplement, and I "heard" about it through google research.
Ask your physician! Medical advice on the internet is risky and especially in regards to the gross quackery involved in vitamins, supplements and over the counter meds.

Old Yesterday, 02:53 PM

7,106 posts, read 3,935,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Old age is not for sissies. I just discovered I've lost my sense of smell.

It's called anosmia. I am praying my case is temporary.

I don't know what could have caused it other than stress and/or "old age" (but I don't know what goes wrong in the aging process to cause this).

Not happy about it!

Will start taking multivitamin again - and zinc is supposed to be beneficial.

Ugh.
Not at all.

My hearing seems fine...so far. But I'm beginning to wonder, since some of the streaming programs I watch are hard for me to hear. I live alone so don't know if it's the program or me.

My eyesight is declining rapidly....10 hrs/day on computers for many years. Incl. now.

Old Yesterday, 03:43 PM

4,080 posts, read 2,132,371 times
Nope. I've always had an acute sense of smell, which was useful when I had to compare fragrances and their degradation for my job. My sense of smell was actually increased when I had brain surgery (the tumor was accessed through my sphenoidal sinuses) and has stayed just as strong since then. It's handy unless one of the cats is yawning in my face.

Old Yesterday, 03:46 PM

5,324 posts, read 2,036,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Ask your physician! Medical advice on the internet is risky and especially in regards to the gross quackery involved in vitamins, supplements and over the counter meds.
This is rich.

Yeah, I'm sure my doc will know just what to do. Lots of tests!!! And in the end, no answers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement