Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2019, 10:38 AM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times

Advertisements

I’ve never had a good sense of smell 🤷*♂️
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2019, 10:56 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,672,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Old age is not for sissies. I just discovered I've lost my sense of smell.

It's called anosmia. I am praying my case is temporary.

I don't know what could have caused it other than stress and/or "old age" (but I don't know what goes wrong in the aging process to cause this).

Not happy about it!

Will start taking multivitamin again - and zinc is supposed to be beneficial.

Ugh.
Where did you hear that zinc is supposed to be beneficial for anosmia? Most places say that zinc can actually cause one to lose their sense of smell.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/faq-20057769

Old 09-05-2019, 10:57 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,828,163 times
I've never had much of a sense of smell, either - when the milk carton for my morning coffee starts nearing its "sell by" date, I have to hand it to the spouse to sniff first. I can TASTE that it is going off, but I can't smell it.

Conversely, there is something in many perfumes that I smell as a very sharp, chemical, sometimes cloying, unpleasant scent. Most other people must not smell it, lol, or they wouldn't wear it.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 09-05-2019, 10:57 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
No loss of smell for me (only 60). I have always had a super sniffer, sometimes I think a loss of smelling would be a blessing. I can smell B.O. on a person from 6 feet away. :^(
Me too, though I love my sense of smell. I can walk into my pasture at dawn and tell you that a buck has visited in the night. It also makes me a gourmet taster of beer and whiskey. I don't care for wine, though occasionally I find a vintage that is tolerable.

Old 09-05-2019, 11:05 AM

11,129 posts, read 9,760,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Me too, though I love my sense of smell. I can walk into my pasture at dawn and tell you that a buck has visited in the night. It also makes me a gourmet taster of beer and whiskey. I don't care for wine, though occasionally I find a vintage that is tolerable.
A lot of wine tasting is actually experienced through the sense of smell. When you draw air through the wine in your mouth, you can "smell" the taste of various things like grass, earth, berries, vegetables, oak, etc. We used to frequent Napa/Sonoma, and we had a thriving young wine industry in our own area (where they still offered tastings for free!). The bad side is you are subjected to life's less than pleasant smells to a higher degree too. I can smell a bad potato in someone else's kitchen, or that the guy in front of me in the theater has gas...:^( . My old boss had the worst breath even from across the desk!

Old 09-05-2019, 11:30 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
No, especially when I’m out in the garden, I can smell a wonderful garlic dish my neighbors always cook.

Old 09-05-2019, 11:30 AM

240 posts, read 267,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
No loss of smell for me (only 60). I have always had a super sniffer, sometimes I think a loss of smelling would be a blessing. I can smell B.O. on a person from 6 feet away. :^(
I also have a strong sense of smell. I’m actually really sensitive to certain food and cooking odors. Fish, broccoli, and baked macaroni and cheese odors seem to follow my nose without any trouble. My nose can also detect smoke and musty smells even further away. This can be problematic at times.

Old 09-05-2019, 11:55 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,978,672 times
Nope, my sense of smell is intact.

Old 09-05-2019, 12:03 PM

11,129 posts, read 9,760,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUSMUSIC View Post
I also have a strong sense of smell. I’m actually really sensitive to certain food and cooking odors. Fish, broccoli, and baked macaroni and cheese odors seem to follow my nose without any trouble. My nose can also detect smoke and musty smells even further away. This can be problematic at times.
Yes and mold and mildew are some of my least favorite smells. I seem to be way more sensitive than most to them. I had an aunt and uncle whose house I couldn't visit because the "house-itosis" was so bad. Really it was just a mix of mildew and that old musty smell of an antique store. Nearly gagged me, and I never got nose-blind to it, even after several hours there.

Old 09-05-2019, 12:03 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,219,158 times
I think mine comes and goes. Sometimes its on overdrive. sometimes I the litter box drives me nuts and the rest of the time I can't smell it all.

Sometimes i wonder if i'm smelling phantom smells.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement