U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 04:28 AM

32,349 posts, read 37,083,576 times

Advertisements

At 66, still working 20-30 hours a week at Real Estate.

There are many Agents older than me who show up daily. Some sell a few a year and some are still top producers. I no longer need or want to be a top producer.

Just returned from an Alaskan cruise and want to plan on many more. My RE helps pay pay for those play times.

And I still have not filed for my SS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 04:31 AM

108 posts, read 196,651 times
I agree that if one is working part time, they aren’t retired. I “retired” from teaching in May at 62. We moved to a wonderful small community in VA to be closer to family. The school district heard I was moving there and offered me a part time, flexible consulting position to work with their new teachers. I debated about taking it but ultimately did. While I’m only working about 12 hours a week, I’m SO not retired. I have to plan my week around the job, I think about it even when I’m not there, the new teachers are needy (as all new teachers are), so there is a lot of hand holding even when I’m not there. I won’t be doing it next year. It’s not that I don’t like the work or the people etc, but I want to be retired.

Old Today, 04:46 AM

73,219 posts, read 73,010,057 times
retirement for many means not having to work , not necessarily not doing something they get paid for. for the most part i get paid for my hobbies .

Old Today, 05:45 AM

180 posts, read 96,870 times
I have an Etsy business selling custom personalized vacation (beach, lake, ski, cottage, etc.) house signs. I've been doing this for over 11 years and love it!

Old Today, 05:46 AM

6,474 posts, read 4,877,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
...... my wife and i sell our photo's we take since photography is a hobby ......
I don't know how you make money at photography. I am getting a new camera next week. I would need to sell a stack of prints to pay for that. Then there is the small stuff I bought in the last couple of months, like the Litra cube, the Cotton carrier, additional memory cards, a replacement lens hood, etc. I also spent about $500 on Ebay for printer ink that would have cost about $2000 at regular retail prices. Then there is my time at a few hours to a couple hundred hours a month. Plus transportation.

Old Today, 06:33 AM

73,219 posts, read 73,010,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I don't know how you make money at photography. I am getting a new camera next week. I would need to sell a stack of prints to pay for that. Then there is the small stuff I bought in the last couple of months, like the Litra cube, the Cotton carrier, additional memory cards, a replacement lens hood, etc. I also spent about $500 on Ebay for printer ink that would have cost about $2000 at regular retail prices. Then there is my time at a few hours to a couple hundred hours a month. Plus transportation.
We have a few companies that buy file rights from us for advertising. We get 250 bucks each. there is little money in prints . we offer the rights to use the file up to 2x .

we just sold file rights from our sand points castle shots to a company , they wanted to promote weddings at sands point so wanted to run 1 of our our photos 2x . we get 250 dollars ..

we have had companies contact us because they saw our photos on citi data and wanted to use them . you would be surprised how many local business's we have done work for . we would go to places like the nautical mile in freeport and shoot some of the more interesting restaurants ... we would then print a few out and next time we go give them to the restaurant free . we enclose a note that we can offer them the file rights for anything they like if they contact us .

file rights are far more lucrative for us then trying to sell photos .

Last edited by mathjak107; Today at 06:51 AM..

Old Today, 07:59 AM

9,079 posts, read 7,876,534 times
I substitute hold services for pastors who want to take time off/vacation.

Old Today, 08:25 AM

6,035 posts, read 4,992,524 times
We own a vacation rental (paid cash), and we pay a property manager to do the actual work of advertising, taking the reservations, handling the credit card payments, doing the cleaning between guests, and handling emergency service calls. Between the prop mgmt fees, taxes, insurance, credit card fees, utility payments (including basic cable and wifi) and maintenance costs, we are left with about 50% of the income as profits. Still, that profit is double what we were taking in on the long term rental we sold to purchase it. It's in a popular family vacation area, so it's rented pretty much continuously except in the dead of winter. And we get to use it ourselves from time to time (up to 10% of the days that it was rented per year) as a perk.

If we lived close enough, we could manage it ourselves and really bring in the big bucks, but those late night emergency calls, and dealing with credit cards and cleaning staff would be a hassle.

Old Today, 09:14 AM

2,602 posts, read 1,153,118 times
Online sales on Amazon, Ebay, and Etsy.

Old Today, 09:21 AM

320 posts, read 156,379 times
I still work full time but have a part time job that I will keep when I collect social security. I teach English to kids in China over the internet. I pick the hours I want. Kids are adorable. Great little gig. I can do it when I travel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or