U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Yesterday, 01:40 PM
 
1,591 posts, read 1,390,039 times
Reputation: 1320

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Just wondering what kinds of businesses retirees have.

Note this is just a general query, not to specify who has retired completely or not.

Be as specific as you can, for example:

So, if you say "consulting "...what do you 'consult' on/for/about???

Consulting on the next lunar rover? Consulting on the first space ship to go to Mars?

Is it a 'hobby' business? If so what hobby??

Are you a successful ar-teest? Of what exactly? ( or are you a starving artist?)

We are thinking of a side business that MAY replace current income and segway into retirement, and that we can physically sustain. Not sure other than craft stuff what it will be. That would be a 'hobby' business.

So lets show our creative sides on how we keep busy running a side business....




When I announced my retirement, my govn't co-workers asked me what employment I was moving to. Couldn't convince them I wasn't moving to private employment in industry to use my contacts and insider knowledge in negotiations with the largest general contractor in the U.S., the federal government.


Although that would have been a jack move for moi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Yesterday, 02:56 PM
 
7,104 posts, read 3,932,155 times
Reputation: 14672
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i am retired but i do quite a few things i would do for free if i had to . the fact i get paid for them is a bonus .

i am a drummer doing shows with a group or recording artists celebrating their 50th anniversary .... my wife and i sell our photo's we take since photography is a hobby , and one day a week i teach motor controls and drives for a local distributor , which i enjoy and would do for free .

the fact you may get paid for something does not determine whether you are retired or not
That's a job. The fact that you like the job is a perk. But it's a job. If you get paid for showing up to do something, that's a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 03:12 PM
 
73,219 posts, read 73,030,272 times
Reputation: 50813
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
That's a job. The fact that you like the job is a perk. But it's a job. If you get paid for showing up to do something, that's a job.
actually no we don't show up to work ... we are there walking and taking photo's for fun ... we like photographing some of the interesting restaurants . the fact we are able to sell them the files is a by product of what we do for fun. we would do this regardless as it is part of our photography hobby
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 03:17 PM
 
Location: SoCal
14,028 posts, read 6,706,386 times
Reputation: 10692
Part time travel agent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 03:44 PM
 
73,219 posts, read 73,030,272 times
Reputation: 50813
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Part time travel agent.
The welcome mat at your door should say GO AWAY.. I always wanted one that said nice panties
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 03:53 PM
 
Location: SoCal
14,028 posts, read 6,706,386 times
Reputation: 10692
You wear panties?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 03:54 PM
 
Location: Central NY
4,831 posts, read 3,354,556 times
Reputation: 12547
Minding my own business. It's full time, non-paying, but a lot of self satisfaction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 03:57 PM
 
Location: Haiku
4,736 posts, read 2,751,990 times
Reputation: 6953
We have a small orchard - tangerines, lemons, limes, oranges, pineapples and coconuts. We sell several hundred pounds of fruit every year but it is mostly for fun. We don't depend on that money at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 04:00 PM
 
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
8,290 posts, read 5,072,281 times
Reputation: 30405
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbiehere View Post
you wear panties?

lol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 04:03 PM
 
4,554 posts, read 2,713,431 times
Reputation: 10725
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Part time travel agent.
Hey newbie...we'd likecto go to Italy and tour the ancient ruins ( like the Coliseum and Pompeii and herculaneum), tour Tuscany, and then off to tour the ancient ruins in Greece, then spend a week on the greek island of Crete.

Maybe a jaunt to where my OH was born
..Germany to buy a cuckoo clock.

So. Can you hook me up for air fare, hotel/b&b/AirBNB, admissions ( where applicable) and car rental at the city-data "family" deep discount rate????

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top