U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2019, 12:14 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,357,333 times

Advertisements

After 40 years as a cop, I am utilizing my law degree. Most of my work is pro bono. I'm not doing it to pad my income.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2019, 12:15 PM

73,299 posts, read 73,074,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Retirement police here. Mathjak, you canít claim to be retired then.
If they donít pay me I can

Old 09-07-2019, 01:31 PM

9,244 posts, read 7,990,409 times
Mine is trying to meet young woman. So far the business has not be terribly profitable.........

Old 09-07-2019, 02:21 PM

73,299 posts, read 73,074,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Mine is trying to meet young woman. So far the business has not be terribly profitable.........
Maybe you need a new approach ..what you do is rent a Porsche for the day ...then get that Barbie doll that comes with the Barbie doll Amex platinum card .....take a picture of a house in Malibu ...then get it it all together in photoshop ..

Blend in the Porsche, the house in Malibu together in the back ground ,then get the little Barbie doll hand holding the credit card in the foreground....now we are ready for the clincher ...take a picture of your lil Winkee dink and put it near the little Barbie hand that is holding the little Barbie credit card , that lil thing will look huge in comparison ....now you got everything you need to attract one of those young babes.

If that don’t work then you have to get back to basics ...DOES THIS RAG SMELL LIKE CHLOROFORM TO YOU ?

Old 09-07-2019, 02:34 PM

4,797 posts, read 3,800,342 times
Since so many here seem to care about labeling, the term that's been proposed for someone who retires from their main job and works at one or more side businesses is "pre-tirement". My side businesses are website development and life coaching.

https://www.caniretireyet.com/pretirement/

Old 09-07-2019, 03:10 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,997 posts, read 40,533,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Since so many here seem to care about labeling, the term that's been proposed for someone who retires from their main job and works at one or more side businesses is "pre-tirement". My side businesses are website development and life coaching.

https://www.caniretireyet.com/pretirement/
since I retired early (several times), I find it more 'acceptable' (by retirement police) to just say... "I'm between jobs". Don't need or plan on another job, but if something fun that I want to learn comes along I just may get 'paid' for training / travel / enjoyment.

I know several 'retirees' who work for fun and give all their earned income to others in need.

I just call them 'nice'. I don't call them out for 'working' (even tho some are over age 80.)

My grandfather farmed until age 93, it was good for him (until he fell off the tractor while refueling and got engulfed in a big fire.) Lost him, and the tractor, (and a nearby shed). Probably would have been a good idea to 'outsource' his fueling chores to a younger monkey. Another 94 YO friend fell into a grain auger, (lucky to survive) so we made him stay on the tractor while dumping loads.

Old 09-07-2019, 03:50 PM

14,059 posts, read 6,724,733 times
I’m joking guys. Some of us have retired our sense of humor. I wa testing to see if people get it without the smiley face.

Old 09-07-2019, 03:59 PM

2,489 posts, read 2,118,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Maybe you need a new approach ..what you do is rent a Porsche for the day ...then get that Barbie doll that comes with the Barbie doll Amex platinum card .....take a picture of a house in Malibu ...then get it it all together in photoshop ..

Blend in the Porsche, the house in Malibu together in the back ground ,then get the little Barbie doll hand holding the credit card in the foreground....now we are ready for the clincher ...take a picture of your lil Winkee dink and put it near the little Barbie hand that is holding the little Barbie credit card , that lil thing will look huge in comparison ....now you got everything you need to attract one of those young babes.

If that donít work then you have to get back to basics ...DOES THIS RAG SMELL LIKE CHLOROFORM TO YOU ?
My method was to ask women if they wanted to go for a ride in my Vette. Of course, when we got to the parking lot and they found out I had a Chevette and not a Corvette, my chances diminished greatly .

Old 09-07-2019, 07:16 PM

4,797 posts, read 3,800,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
since I retired early (several times), I find it more 'acceptable' (by retirement police) to just say... "I'm between jobs". Don't need or plan on another job, but if something fun that I want to learn comes along I just may get 'paid' for training / travel / enjoyment.
I retired at 72 years old the beginning of October, 2017, and do OK on maxed out Social Security and my small pension. I'm building my businesses because I enjoy what I do, it keeps my mind active, and I would like to build up my savings (100% of what I make from my side biz goes into savings) so I have more $$ for things like travel and hobbies - and to build up my rainy day funds. I'm also creating an ESL ministry at church, so I'm also doing the fun volunteer thing too.

Old Yesterday, 08:02 AM

325 posts, read 158,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedolce View Post
Just retired officially after teaching for some 27 years, and I've seen advertising for this. Do you create your own curriculum, or do they provide one? Which company do you work with?

I'm still adjusting to being retired, and worried I'll get too comfortable, if that makes sense.
No the company has a platform that you use. It is interactive slides. I taught 3 classes this morning. One was on games. I applied at a bunch of companies and some rejected me because of my age. I work for QKids. They book for you instead of the parents picking. Kids are so darn cute. It makes my day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or