U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-08-2019, 10:33 AM
 
1,603 posts, read 1,393,192 times
Reputation: 1329

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
Nothing phony about it, itís all based on factual speculation and truthful hypothesis. Call me I will come up with the truth you want to hear. It may take some time.



Let's see where to start. R U an insider trader? Well that's what you are up against when you sink your savings into stocks on the market. Where do you think our politicians made their fortunes? Until recently. Lots of books on the subject. Also looking at candles or color lines on a graph gives you historical knowledge. But didn't you hear? Most of the day-to-day trading on the markets are done with algorithms in microseconds with some traders having an advantage because they are, in distance, located closer to wall Street. So what you discern or dig up is very old news.


Here's a tip. Buy low; sell high. Hold your positions in good stocks for long intervals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-08-2019, 10:41 AM
 
Location: Former LI'er Now Rehoboth Beach, DE
8,017 posts, read 10,794,138 times
Reputation: 8195
Volunteering and gardening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2019, 12:20 PM
 
73,301 posts, read 73,092,775 times
Reputation: 50896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistermobile View Post
Let's see where to start. R U an insider trader? Well that's what you are up against when you sink your savings into stocks on the market. Where do you think our politicians made their fortunes? Until recently. Lots of books on the subject. Also looking at candles or color lines on a graph gives you historical knowledge. But didn't you hear? Most of the day-to-day trading on the markets are done with algorithms in microseconds with some traders having an advantage because they are, in distance, located closer to wall Street. So what you discern or dig up is very old news.


Here's a tip. Buy low; sell high. Hold your positions in good stocks for long intervals.
here is better tip , buy high and sell higher .

we all know the saying buy low sell high. great idea but rarely can anyone really do it consistantly.

why?

there is another saying " objects in motion stay in motion , until they hit something .

falling prices tend to feed on themselves and go lower until they don't. know one knows what low is because we all thought low in 2008-2009 was when the market fell 1000 points.

well that momentum turned into 5000 and 6000 points. people lost their shirt trying to buy low.

a better saying is buy high and sell higher. when that trend is already moving up that upward momentum may be the better time to buy . buy high and sell higher may be a whole lot more profitable but you never hear that.

why?

because the people who know don't tell , and the people who tell don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2019, 02:22 PM
JRR
 
Location: Middle Tennessee
3,853 posts, read 2,310,944 times
Reputation: 5687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistermobile View Post
Let's see where to start. R U an insider trader? Well that's what you are up against when you sink your savings into stocks on the market. Where do you think our politicians made their fortunes? Until recently. Lots of books on the subject. Also looking at candles or color lines on a graph gives you historical knowledge. But didn't you hear? Most of the day-to-day trading on the markets are done with algorithms in microseconds with some traders having an advantage because they are, in distance, located closer to wall Street. So what you discern or dig up is very old news.


Here's a tip. Buy low; sell high. Hold your positions in good stocks for long intervals.
And those algorithms can move a stock to an extreme and create an opportunity for a regular person to step in and make a quick profit. Not always, but sometimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2019, 05:46 PM
 
7,360 posts, read 1,611,961 times
Reputation: 17947
I am a part-time wine consultant at a very large liquor store (two days a week), and my take-home averages $800 a month. Pretty good for doing work I love -- I always tell people that I have a paid hobby! A side benefit is that it is good exercise as I lift an average of about twenty 40-lb cases of wine during a shift and walk an average of a mile an hour. (One of my co-workers has some kind of pedometer and that is what he averages, anyway.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2019, 05:51 PM
 
73,301 posts, read 73,092,775 times
Reputation: 50896
My wife was thinking of working at the candle store but only on the wickends
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2019, 07:01 PM
 
1,603 posts, read 1,393,192 times
Reputation: 1329
Default What we have is a failure communicate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
here is better tip , buy high and sell higher .

we all know the saying buy low sell high. great idea but rarely can anyone really do it consistantly.
why?
there is another saying " objects in motion stay in motion , until they hit something .
falling prices tend to feed on themselves and go lower until they don't. know one knows what low is because we all thought low in 2008-2009 was when the market fell 1000 points.
well that momentum turned into 5000 and 6000 points. people lost their shirt trying to buy low.
a better saying is buy high and sell higher. when that trend is already moving up that upward momentum may be the better time to buy . buy high and sell higher may be a whole lot more profitable but you never hear that.
why?because the people who know don't tell , and the people who tell don't know.



Let's talk about market timing which I think the poster is speaking about. Or not. It's hard to tell. Market timing is a bad idea.



Is it possible to buy low or sell high stock as the market as a whole goes through gyrations. No. Meaning you can't pick with certainty where you get on the roller coaster. You take a seat and it could descend like an elevator from hell.



As a lay person, a smart investor re-invests the dividends of stock already held, and/or a fixed percentage of his\her income into the market whether its up or down. This is called averaging. Over a long period the stock market should give you good returns.



Now selling is a different story. If you need cash, then sell those shares that have made you money that have a higher value than your basis. That is sell high, buy low.



Although I have to admit, when the market takes a beating I smile and buy stocks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2019, 07:32 PM
 
Location: Upstate, NY
663 posts, read 283,302 times
Reputation: 880
I plan to give golf lessons and do some local writing or journalism. Not sure it will last, though. I’m guessing if I had to do it I might not continue to enjoy it anymore. I plan on making a total break from this career once I do retire, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2019, 07:39 PM
 
1,603 posts, read 1,393,192 times
Reputation: 1329
Default Market Timing and Dollar averaging

Let's talk about market timing which I think the poster is speaking about. Or not. It's hard to tell. Market timing is a bad idea.



Is it possible to buy low or sell high stock as the market as a whole goes through gyrations. No. Meaning you can't pick with certainty where you get on the roller coaster. You take a seat and it could descend like an elevator from hell.



As a lay person, a smart investor re-invests the dividends of stock already held, and/or a fixed percentage of his\her income into the market whether its up or down. This is called averaging. Over a long period the stock market should give you good returns.



Now selling is a different story. If you need cash, then sell those shares that have made you money that have a higher value than your basis. That is sell high, buy low.



Although I have to admit, when the market takes a beating I smile and buy stocks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2019, 07:46 PM
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
57,299 posts, read 55,548,524 times
Reputation: 68298
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
My wife was thinking of working at the candle store but only on the wickends
Or she could eke out a living raising mice for laboratories.
__________________
Moderator posts are in RED.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top