Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2019, 06:47 PM

1,624 posts, read 1,705,983 times

Advertisements

I was a professional recording and live sound engineer for 32 years. I retired and was bored. A church was looking for someone to help make their PA system sound better. They hired me, I sorted out the technical problems and helped get the mix sounding good. I enjoyed the band, the music and the people and ending up staying for over a year. I moved to a different state so that ended. I was posting on an audio/video forum for fun and to kill some time and was offered a job by a guy who owns a home theater design company. I work from home many hours a day designing audio/video/home theater systems and selling the equipment for them via the internet. Now I'm starting to work on finding local business too. I retired from one job and found a few more. They say it's not work if you enjoy what you do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2019, 07:20 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,217,168 times
My wife paints rocks. She does frogs, rabbits, cats, turtles, hamburgers, zucchini, skunks, 10 different varieties of birds. We live next to a freestone river and it's easy to get rocks that are shaped to her needs. At some point, I'm going to establish a web page and market the rocks. We'll see how it goes.
I also play rock guitar and may start a band down the road. Had a band in 2012 to 2015 until our drummer died of pancreatic cancer.
We stay busy!

Old 09-06-2019, 07:31 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,217,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I teach a online college class.

So you are an teacher?

Old 09-06-2019, 07:36 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
I consider myself retired even though I work sometimes because a) I receive a pension check, so the State of New York considers me retired, and b) I don't have to work and in fact offered to quit when it became apparent I would be working less because I was traveling a lot, and they said, "no, just work when you are available". I'm working two days this month, then attending a conference for them in October.

I attend events sponsored by engineering industry associations. There's often a breakfast or lunch or dinner involved and a presentation by someone prominent in the public transportation/engineering/construction sector. There's also a networking period, usually at the beginning of the event but sometimes several when part of a conference. That's the important part.

It's all about connections and making introductions for teaming opportunities between my employers and the big firms for upcoming projects. I was offered the job because I know a lot of people after nearly 40 years in public sector engineering, even though I'm not one myself, and I'm a personable sort that most people like and respond to, or at least can assume that persona. I have made some good connections that brought them business.

When I first retired, I did proposal preparation for engineering firms, first as an independent contractor, then working for a firm for a year. I still only worked part-time, but a lot more hours than I do now. The jobs all came to me. I haven't had to look for one. The NYC engineering industry is a surprisingly small world.

Old 09-06-2019, 07:47 PM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
I had signed up to be a substiture teacher. Did it a few times. Liked working with the handicapped kids. They are so sweet.

But i'm not a morning person, and would only take afternoon jobs. And the pay was awful. Barely minimum wage. So i just stay home now - lol.

Old 09-06-2019, 08:26 PM
JRR

8,159 posts, read 5,651,590 times
For me, my side job is short term trading in the stock market. I like it as I can do it when I want, dressed as I want, with a cup of coffee on my desk and sometimes a cat on my lap.

Old 09-06-2019, 11:04 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,764,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
For those of you say "if you're making money at something, you're not retired

I make money off my investments. So I am not retired?

Old 09-06-2019, 11:12 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Just wondering what kinds of businesses retirees have.

Note this is just a general query, not to specify who has retired completely or not.

Be as specific as you can, for example:

So, if you say "consulting "...what do you 'consult' on/for/about???

Consulting on the next lunar rover? Consulting on the first space ship to go to Mars?

Is it a 'hobby' business? If so what hobby??

Are you a successful ar-teest? Of what exactly? ( or are you a starving artist?)

We are thinking of a side business that MAY replace current income and segway into retirement, and that we can physically sustain. Not sure other than craft stuff what it will be. That would be a 'hobby' business.

So lets show our creative sides on how we keep busy running a side business....

I do land speculation/flip oil leases and invest in oil wells on the side.I also have a landscaping business on the side.I am a leasehound and have a exploration and production company on the side.

Last edited by C24L; 09-06-2019 at 11:23 PM..

Old 09-06-2019, 11:22 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,656,817 times
If you call a certain 800 number, I'm on the line giving you advice on love, expectation, or finance, based entirely on your age and date of birth. It's fun, lucrative, entertaining and I’m in my underwear.

Old 09-07-2019, 12:40 AM

6,768 posts, read 5,481,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
I make money off my investments. So I am not retired?
That was my sarcastic point.

Especially if you are a "day trader".
That would be a side hustle.

Best of luck making your money...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement