Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2019, 08:00 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times

Advertisements

My master bedroom is definitely more comfortable than any 5-star hotel, even much better than the Ritz Carlton. But we don’t have fresh lobsters here. The best desserts come from Europe. But we travel to improve our brains, lots of stimulation for sure from our traveling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2019, 08:07 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
My master bedroom is definitely more comfortable than any 5-star hotel, even much better than the Ritz Carlton. But we don’t have fresh lobsters here. The best desserts come from Europe. But we travel to improve our brains, lots of stimulation for sure from our traveling.
I read dozens of items every week (books, articles, even Internet blogs) and write papers and do puzzles to improve my brain. No need for travel for THAT! (Glad it works for you, though! )

======

P.S. Full disclosure, my latest travel adventure -- an 11-day trip to the UK with my spring class (free to me) -- was a disaster for me because of my bad knee (it was fantastic for my students and travel partner). So I am aware that I may just be being ornery here because I was in so much pain during the trip. But I truly don't see the appeal of traveling for just a week or two at a time -- I really would want to go someplace for at least a month, but that's hard to do with a house, pets, etc. left behind. Maybe I will change my mind in actual retirement (it's a few years away) ... and of course I realize that other people may love it.

Old 09-06-2019, 08:14 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,647,187 times
I had a list of stuff I wanted to do - then quickly realized I had a major issue with commitment.

Old 09-06-2019, 09:03 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
You have to be fit to travel. I lost 10 lbs by walking all over Europe. Our first trip there for 4 months, we didn’t have a car. We walked 2-3 miles a day. It was not only good for our brains, it was good for our body.

Old 09-06-2019, 09:26 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,210,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
You have to be fit to travel. I lost 10 lbs by walking all over Europe. Our first trip there for 4 months, we didn’t have a car. We walked 2-3 miles a day. It was not only good for our brains, it was good for our body.

Whether you're fit or not, at the start, you'kk get fitter. Provided you actually travel, and not just fly to a pool or beach.

Old 09-06-2019, 10:30 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Hahaha - That might have been true a zillion years ago when I was in my 20's and didn't mind sleeping in a train station, but this is the retirement forum and most of us now want a little comfort and a decent meal.
Especially at retirement age -- our bones can't take traveling like we did in our wild and free days!

Old 09-06-2019, 10:44 PM

48,526 posts, read 34,851,331 times
If those are the things that make you happy - go for it! Make sure to socialize and get exercise too.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-07-2019, 03:48 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,210,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Especially at retirement age -- our bones can't take traveling like we did in our wild and free days!

If it is expected that you can still do productive physical labor at 64, you can carry a shoulder bag onto a bus at 66.

Old 09-07-2019, 06:40 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,937,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Retirement is just around the corner for us!

Here's some thoughts I have on how to spend my time:
(no particular order of importance, just as they occur to me)

Learn French -- again! I was somewhat proficient in it in high school and college, but I've all but forgotten most of it, or so I thought. Recently my dh and I started watching French Village, a multi-part series about the German occupation of a French village during WWII. Its mostly in French with English subtitles. I find, much to my surprise, much is coming back to me! I still rely on the subtitles, but its coming back. I still have my old French textbooks from college, I might brush them off and see if I can re-learn it!

Learn how to cook -- again! I cooked for my family of four, but our kids are grown and out of the house. I'd like to start learning to cook healthful meals for two

Foster kittens. I love kittens, but at our age I don't think it would be fair to take on kittens who would probably outlive us! I would like to foster some to help them become adoptable.

Vegetable gardening, flower gardening

Get going with Genealogy! I've played around with subscriptions to sites like Ancestry, My Heritage, etc, but I would like to really delve into the topic. Maybe take some college courses, perhaps even do Heritage travel tours!

So, how's this sound for a retired lady's activities?
Looks like a good mix of indoor and outdoor activities, interests that can be enjoyed both at home and while travelling - except the kitten fostering part, physical and mental activities. Enjoy!

Old 09-07-2019, 08:17 AM

48 posts, read 67,070 times
Lots of exercise (walking & biking), take the RV out once a month somewhere, and I volunteer for the city I live in. Sometimes this is not enough but I'm not going back to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement