Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2019, 08:53 PM

6,768 posts, read 5,481,691 times

Advertisements

Just wondering what kinds of businesses retirees have.

Note this is just a general query, not to specify who has retired completely or not.

Be as specific as you can, for example:

So, if you say "consulting "...what do you 'consult' on/for/about???

Consulting on the next lunar rover? Consulting on the first space ship to go to Mars?

Is it a 'hobby' business? If so what hobby??

Are you a successful ar-teest? Of what exactly? ( or are you a starving artist?)

We are thinking of a side business that MAY replace current income and segway into retirement, and that we can physically sustain. Not sure other than craft stuff what it will be. That would be a 'hobby' business.

So lets show our creative sides on how we keep busy running a side business....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2019, 09:01 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
quilting, doll and infant clothes

Old 09-05-2019, 09:41 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,108,628 times
I retired....am not working...no side businesses.....retired!

Old 09-05-2019, 10:16 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
A buddy of mine just turned 64 and has dabbled around in various things over the years. I've never known him to work a full time job. The wife is several years younger and works full time for a national bank. She provides the health insurance.

He took care of his ailing mother for many years. She had a couple of rental properties that he inherited along with her own home. He rents those three out. His current wife rents a former house of hers as well as her parents' house. Between them, they have five rentals, and most are mortgage free. He has a property manager on them that oversees roughly 400 properties in the region. He doesn't know who is in some of the houses.

He does some dabbling in regional magazine publication. He's also gotten some sort of mediator's license for divorcing couples and does mediation. He's a heavy marijuana smoker and also deals marijuana at a locally significant level.

My guess is that the other stuff is a cover for the pot, which is the real moneymaker. He said he made $75,000 last year. He's not going to attract attention. He's a pot-bellied guy that golfs a lot and smokes a lot.

Old 09-05-2019, 10:21 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
We are thinking of a side business that MAY replace current income and segway into retirement
I use my Segway to run quick errands.

When I'm done with a topic or activity, I segue into the next one.

Old 09-05-2019, 11:13 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Been 'retired' (3rd time) since age 49. Not bored yet.
  1. I take international engineering and EDU gigs when possible and when it suits my schedule / destination desires.
  2. I like to travel, and getting paid to travel is a real bonus!
  3. I keep my CDL to rescue trucks when the DOT pulls the driver for failing drug test.
  4. Would like to drive a 'snow-coach' in Yellowstone / Tetons for a winter!
  5. Antarctica would be an interesting side hustle. (As would Ice Road trucking)
  6. Plan to work PT with a traveling Harvest crew between age 65 and 70.
  7. Do farm and ranch sitting.
  8. Help friends and students with mechanical inventions.
  9. Make 50 mpg 'sporty' and fun cars (GTD's as available everywhere EXCEPT USA and Canada)

10. Do forestry for elderly neighbors.
  11. Build furniture.
  12. Build low impact homes. (Have (12) rural rentals to manage in my free time (2500 miles apart = deductible business travel )
  13. Flip view rural properties.
  14. Will do a few $500k tax free flips. (build (rural view), live for 24 months, sell).
  15. Help neighbor farmers and ranchers.
  16. restore vintage motorcycles.

17. I'm collecting interesting and useful stuff so my DS will have a VERY lucrative Estate Sale!

Old 09-06-2019, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I use my Segway to run quick errands.

When I'm done with a topic or activity, I segue into the next one.
Thank you!l fluffy!

I knew segway was wrong but the spelling of the word i did want totally escaped me, and "Damnyouautocorrect " was of no help!

Ever had a word totally escape you?

Maybe is just alzheimer's setting in.

Old 09-06-2019, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Been 'retired' (3rd time) since age 49. Not bored yet.
  1. I take international engineering and EDU gigs when possible and when it suits my schedule / destination desires.
  2. I like to travel, and getting paid to travel is a real bonus!
  3. I keep my CDL to rescue trucks when the DOT pulls the driver for failing drug test.
  4. Would like to drive a 'snow-coach' in Yellowstone / Tetons for a winter!
  5. Antarctica would be an interesting side hustle. (As would Ice Road trucking)
  6. Plan to work PT with a traveling Harvest crew between age 65 and 70.
  7. Do farm and ranch sitting.
  8. Help friends and students with mechanical inventions.
  9. Make 50 mpg 'sporty' and fun cars (GTD's as available everywhere EXCEPT USA and Canada)

10. Do forestry for elderly neighbors.
  11. Build furniture.
  12. Build low impact homes. (Have (12) rural rentals to manage in my free time (2500 miles apart = deductible business travel )
  13. Flip view rural properties.
  14. Will do a few $500k tax free flips. (build (rural view), live for 24 months, sell).
  15. Help neighbor farmers and ranchers.
  16. restore vintage motorcycles.

17. I'm collecting interesting and useful stuff so my DS will have a VERY lucrative Estate Sale!
Stealth, your DS may be like my OH....KEEP most of the crap youve accumulated!!!
Cleaning out my FIL s house has really turned into " lets cram it all into our smaller house" (FIL s house had 6 levels, we have 2 including our respective basements and FIL had a stand up attic, we have one barely assessible for mechanics).

Of course my OH is a sentimental individual, rather attached to buildings, (dead) people and things!!

Old 09-06-2019, 03:06 AM

2,234 posts, read 3,318,562 times
If you have a side job then you are not retired.

Old 09-06-2019, 03:14 AM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
If you have a side job then you are not retired.
i am retired but i do quite a few things i would do for free if i had to . the fact i get paid for them is a bonus .

i am a drummer doing shows with a group or recording artists celebrating their 50th anniversary .... my wife and i sell our photo's we take since photography is a hobby , and one day a week i teach motor controls and drives for a local distributor , which i enjoy and would do for free .

the fact you may get paid for something does not determine whether you are retired or not
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement