Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2019, 03:51 PM

645 posts, read 1,538,346 times

Advertisements

As for schedules... Good Lord, I can't stand to even have to commit to a dentist appointment 6 weeks out, now retired... WAY too much of a crimp in my style, and fly by the seat of my pants freedom . I love the ability to be accountable to me, and only me, doing as I wish when and where I want for once. I'm extremely introverted, and can sit for hours just thinking, watching the wildlife in my yard with great joy, looking at a beautiful moon rise, feeling a part of it all without stepping a foot outside. I love to be outside, to exercise, fish, shoot, hike, but have little patience for discourteous A-holes, which seem to be everywhere anymore, and growing... So hard to find solitude, and people who are respectful of that desire.

I find cleaning very relaxing, rewarding and enjoyable... I'm not a cleanliness nazi riddled with OCD, but do keep a very tidy and clean home, no clutter and very minimal in 'things' in my midst... I find it peaceful; where I find clutter and a schmutzy environment unwelcoming, chaotic and yucky for my psyche.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2019, 03:56 PM

25,555 posts, read 17,256,908 times
I have lots of "shoulds" and I love every one of them. I never was much good at playing and really have no desire to start now. "Fun" is when I am learning something or accomplishing something - even if just a little thing.

Our life has become one of taking care of property, puppy-dogs, and plants.
We are happy.

Old 09-08-2019, 04:29 PM

716 posts, read 539,193 times
Woodworking and I just discovered scroll sawing. Fun easy and i make gifts for family and
Friends

Can’t beat a good cigar and a swim in the pool also

Old 09-08-2019, 06:43 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,943,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I love not having shoulds anymore.

I should do laundry
I should do the dishes
I should clean the apartment
I should whatever

It feels good to do things in my own time. I do find that I have to remind myself that things don't have to be done the minute the should comes to mind. They'll get done, just not as quickly as they used to.

I think the conditioning, after so many, many years of working, is ingrained that I have to get things done NOW, especially on a Sunday while I'm not tired and Monday is looming.

I believe it's one of the things I enjoy most - no more shoulds!
Yes, that nagging feeling that there is always something else you should be doing is very tiresome. I can't wait for the day when I can do things in my own time, and not constantly feel as if there are things that I should be doing but I'm not because I don't have time.

Old 09-08-2019, 07:32 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
For me, the ultimate relaxation would be a looping Hydromassage bed with someone massaging my feet.

Old 09-09-2019, 06:59 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_F View Post
As for schedules... Good Lord, I can't stand to even have to commit to a dentist appointment 6 weeks out, now retired... WAY too much of a crimp in my style, and fly by the seat of my pants freedom . I love the ability to be accountable to me, and only me, doing as I wish when and where I want for once. I'm extremely introverted, and can sit for hours just thinking, watching the wildlife in my yard with great joy, looking at a beautiful moon rise, feeling a part of it all without stepping a foot outside. I love to be outside, to exercise, fish, shoot, hike, but have little patience for discourteous A-holes, which seem to be everywhere anymore, and growing... So hard to find solitude, and people who are respectful of that desire.

I find cleaning very relaxing, rewarding and enjoyable... I'm not a cleanliness nazi riddled with OCD, but do keep a very tidy and clean home, no clutter and very minimal in 'things' in my midst... I find it peaceful; where I find clutter and a schmutzy environment unwelcoming, chaotic and yucky for my psyche.
Are you single and a guy?

Old 09-09-2019, 10:07 AM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
Being retired my fun is engineering and building things. challenging my skills and my mind and making life easier for my self.
To me doing nothing is next to being dead. I could never sit still unless I am asleep .
Even watching movies I like to have something in my hands or drawing on a current project.
Time lost is life wasted.
The two ways to beat alzheimer's is to challenge the mind seriously and get exercise that get's one out of breath.
If one is too lazy to do this things, they culture the disease in them self . IMO
Mom died of Alzheimers and it is not the way I want to go. I'd rather be eaten by piranha, or a bear.
Buddhism is certainly not for you! We're talking mindlessness/thoughtlessness!

Old 09-09-2019, 10:15 AM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
I've always been a night owl, worked the night shift for 17 years, and now I'm going full blast with it! I slept away the heat of the day here in Tucson, going to bed around 10-11am, and sleeping, with sleep meds, until 7-8pm, get up and race to the pool before it closes at 9pm. Then? Up all night outdoors, watching DVD's, doing crossword puzzles, reading, and a late night bike ride, and a late night walk with my ferret.

Most of the seniors in this senior community find it incomprehensible why anyone would want to sleep during the day time.

Haven't been to one Coffee Hour yet, and no Potlucks this summer. Sheesh! 5:30pm potluck! Are they crazy???????

When it starts to cool off I'll start tapering it down to getting up late afternoons. I love, love, love the night time, it serves as a veil to the all ugliness of the world, and it all lays hidden.

Old 09-09-2019, 12:35 PM

10,089 posts, read 6,420,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
For me, the ultimate relaxation would be a looping Hydromassage bed with someone massaging my feet.
Holy crow, I think I'd just settle for the foot massages. They were one of the best things about being married!

Old 09-09-2019, 02:19 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeriously View Post
I'm not going to click this on, nope, not as I sit on my Florida porch under my ceiling fans, reading city-data as I sip a Tito's martini, my husband across from me on his computer, sharing stupid Trumpisms, nope.. I'm ultimately relaxed and loving it.
Life goals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement