U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2019, 09:37 AM

5,707 posts, read 3,014,865 times

Advertisements

Found this printed in The Reader’s Digest book, Back to Basics.

The thread about the elderly parent “doing nothing” in the Nonromantic Relationships thread prompted me to dig this up.
Attached Thumbnails
The ultimate retirement relaxation-b984aec1-50d8-4dd0-a606-ef77589ac407.jpeg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2019, 05:12 PM

4,382 posts, read 6,127,092 times
I'm not going to click this on, nope, not as I sit on my Florida porch under my ceiling fans, reading city-data as I sip a Tito's martini, my husband across from me on his computer, sharing stupid Trumpisms, nope.. I'm ultimately relaxed and loving it.

Old Yesterday, 08:47 AM

6,059 posts, read 5,003,316 times
Very unusual gravestone I must say, but I share the sentiment. I used to be such a good housekeeper. Now, not so much...

Old Yesterday, 09:26 AM

11,185 posts, read 12,652,408 times
The ultimate retirement relaxation

Sitting on my porch smoking a Cohiba cigar while drinking Buffalo Trace bourbon in the evening.

Old Yesterday, 10:52 AM

3,795 posts, read 1,664,405 times
Sitting on my balcony, looking at the sunset over the waves, with a glass of $6 box-wine.

Cheers!

Old Yesterday, 11:28 AM

5,779 posts, read 4,967,611 times
Being retired my fun is engineering and building things. challenging my skills and my mind and making life easier for my self.
To me doing nothing is next to being dead. I could never sit still unless I am asleep .
Even watching movies I like to have something in my hands or drawing on a current project.
Time lost is life wasted.
The two ways to beat alzheimer's is to challenge the mind seriously and get exercise that get's one out of breath.
If one is too lazy to do this things, they culture the disease in them self . IMO
Mom died of Alzheimers and it is not the way I want to go. I'd rather be eaten by piranha, or a bear.

Old Yesterday, 11:29 AM

4,835 posts, read 3,360,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Very unusual gravestone I must say, but I share the sentiment. I used to be such a good housekeeper. Now, not so much...

This is also true for me. Used to be a good......... fill in the blank. Now my mind gets a lot of exercise thinking of all the things I should be doing, but feeling less and less guilt about it.

Old Yesterday, 11:45 AM

5,096 posts, read 3,564,718 times
I love not having shoulds anymore.

I should do laundry
I should do the dishes
I should clean the apartment
I should whatever

It feels good to do things in my own time. I do find that I have to remind myself that things don't have to be done the minute the should comes to mind. They'll get done, just not as quickly as they used to.

I think the conditioning, after so many, many years of working, is ingrained that I have to get things done NOW, especially on a Sunday while I'm not tired and Monday is looming.

I believe it's one of the things I enjoy most - no more shoulds!

Old Yesterday, 12:10 PM

5,707 posts, read 3,014,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I love not having shoulds anymore.

I should do laundry
I should do the dishes
I should clean the apartment
I should whatever

It feels good to do things in my own time. I do find that I have to remind myself that things don't have to be done the minute the should comes to mind. They'll get done, just not as quickly as they used to.

I think the conditioning, after so many, many years of working, is ingrained that I have to get things done NOW, especially on a Sunday while I'm not tired and Monday is looming.

I believe it's one of the things I enjoy most - no more shoulds!
Pretty similar for me, though I kept some shoulds to provide a bit of structure. I love not being on someone else’s timeline all the time. The shoulds are a skeleton, which I flesh out with lots of flexibility to accommodate weather, unplanned events, or my own whims.

I hate rigid routine controlling everything. Hatehatehate it. I try to balance routine and shoulds with everything else, so that life rolls fairly smoothly. If I had no routine at all, things would degrade into chaos.

Old Yesterday, 03:07 PM

15,361 posts, read 8,770,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
Being retired my fun is engineering and building things. challenging my skills and my mind and making life easier for my self.
To me doing nothing is next to being dead. I could never sit still unless I am asleep .
Even watching movies I like to have something in my hands or drawing on a current project.
Time lost is life wasted.
The two ways to beat alzheimer's is to challenge the mind seriously and get exercise that get's one out of breath.
If one is too lazy to do this things, they culture the disease in them self . IMO
Mom died of Alzheimers and it is not the way I want to go.
I'd rather be eaten by piranha, or a bear.
Of course no one wants to die of / with Alzheimers...and we can all try to do as much as we can (according to the current theories) in an attempt to avoid it. But what is the need to call people lazy if they can't? Was your mother? Or did it "get her" despite not being lazy?

One way to have a very unrelaxing retirement is to feel you have control over every aspect of your health and then to hold that over the head of everyone with an affliction you believe they could have avoided.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or