U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2019, 03:44 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,535,375 times

Advertisements

I don't measure myself against other men by how much I have in the bank. I use a ruler like we did in jr high
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2019, 04:00 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,450,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
The closest I've ever worked to my home town is 67 miles but that would have been a Boston rush hour commute so impossible. That's the story of pretty much anybody in the top 5% of my High School graduating class. Everyone moved to places with better economic opportunities. The only talented people who stuck around either had those portable job classifications like doctor/dentist/attorney or their parents had a vibrant family business and they eventually took over the business.
I think this point is worth underscoring. I grew up in a well-to-do setting in a medium midwestern metro. Yet those of us who did not pursue a professional degree or aspire to a family business (my father is a retired architect -- and an older brother, not I, pursued that field), were somewhat forced to leave town.

It's ironic now, because I am back in that town frequently doing business (high tech) with a mid-sized corporation. Of the top 50 in my high school, we have several C-level folks -- they all went elsewhere after college. The kids who stayed and did well are lawyers and doctors with local connections or went into a family business (insurance, undertakers, car dealerships, banking). There is really only one nationally known corporate headquarters there, and it is also family-owned.

Not saying it's good or bad, but it is worth noting that in the US, except in the huge coastal cities, you have to consider moving away in order to make it.

Old 09-13-2019, 04:37 PM

1,173 posts, read 564,646 times
Iím more impressed by the Bentley than I am incessant chirping about trips to places no one wants to live. A good portion of these trips are business trips or pleasure trips paid for with points, so the only people impressed are the people who donít understand this dynamic.

My passport expired 10 years after I retired. If I never see the likes of India or China again, who cares?

Iíve never understood why flaunting material things is arrogant, but conveniently dropping your international travels into every conversation is not.

Old 09-13-2019, 05:42 PM

827 posts, read 579,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabound1 View Post
Iím more impressed by the Bentley than I am incessant chirping about trips to places no one wants to live. A good portion of these trips are business trips or pleasure trips paid for with points, so the only people impressed are the people who donít understand this dynamic.

Iíve never understood why flaunting material things is arrogant, but conveniently dropping your international travels into every conversation is not.
Iím more easily impressed and amused. They are retired so business trips are not it. Theyíd have to be spending heavy to earn enough points to take the family on a safari or skiing in aspen. The pictures make it look fun. I also like nice cars but not as a discussion topic. To each his own.

Old 09-13-2019, 09:06 PM

53 posts, read 20,266 times
As a young soldier I was a passenger in an army truck on route 19 in the republic of Viet Nam and i saw a small group of vietnamese citizens,maybe 20-25 men, women and children,scrounging for food or something of value in a garbage dump along side the road, I realized then that i had it better than most. Of all the things i encountered during this time, the vision of these people has stayed with me. Over the last 50 years since that day, I have been fortunate to travel around this planet and I always try to observe the locals. Based on these observations, we, all here on this forum,are doing it better than most.

Old 09-13-2019, 09:10 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,535,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lathemanjack View Post
As a young soldier I was a passenger in an army truck on route 19 in the republic of Viet Nam and i saw a small group of vietnamese citizens,maybe 20-25 men, women and children,scrounging for food or something of value in a garbage dump along side the road, I realized then that i had it better than most. Of all the things i encountered during this time, the vision of these people has stayed with me. Over the last 50 years since that day, I have been fortunate to travel around this planet and I always try to observe the locals. Based on these observations, we, all here on this forum,are doing it better than most.
Thank you for your service. You guys stayed up all night, so the rest of us didn't have to.

Old 09-13-2019, 09:12 PM

53 posts, read 20,266 times
OH BTW driving some rich guys used car and bragging about it makes a person look like the thing they're measuring

Old 09-14-2019, 07:30 AM

10,655 posts, read 12,578,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I'm due to close on a condo this week. I'm buying at around 40% of what I was preapproved for. I'm not home much during the warmer months, have a lot of other hobbies, and finally found a remodeled townhome with garage for below $100k. I don't need a huge or expensive home. It has a lot of stairs, but that's fine by me, and I have a large garage for storage, 2BR/2BA, with a "loft" with a skylight on the top level. It's a good layout for what I want and do.

A high school buddy of mine posted a pic on Facebook of his kid and others bicycling behind my unit tonight. I sent him a message that we're going to be neighbors. He replied and we started talking.

He splits the mortgage on the ~$90k-$100k condo with his mom and girlfriend, and he says they barely make the bills. He runs a couple of pawn shops locally. He has a son that's 11-12, and a girlfriend as well. All together, they're struggling to keep the place paid for and all the other bills paid. The girlfriend has some fairly significant medical issues. He admitted he makes around $25k.

I couldn't believe that. $25k is a $12/hr job. He runs and manages multiple pawn shops. I told the guy he could make better at the local Citi debt collection call center, and at any number of jobs. He says he likes the pawn shop because it's flexible around what his kid does.

This dude is really barely scraping by. He has no slack in his life, and likely no luxuries. Compared to him, I'm doing incredibly well. Compared to most of the people on this board, I'm dirt poor.

In sum, I'm doing better than the vast majority of my peers. Did you, and when did you realize you did better than those of a similar background?

First of all, you don't need a lot of money to be comfortable. Think of all the nonsense people pay for from Iphones to endless memberships (netflix/gym/sirius/cable whatever).....add it up and it takes a bunch of money out of the monthly budget. Add in the big ticket stuff like leased cars/big vacations financed on credit cards, it then really spirals out of control.

For your friend, I'm glad he makes 25K working at a pawn shop. Those places are geared to screw over honest people with ridiculous interest rates and then it acts as a showroom for thieves. Yeah they sign papers/take pics/fingerprints so any toothless crackhead can vouch that the Rolex with blood on it was theirs and despite it being worth 10K the pawn shop was nice enough to give Carl the crackhead $300 for it.

I've seen people that make 200K a year and end up broke at the end of the year. Make 200K and spend 250K and suddenly you are in the hole 50K! Its math, regardless of the numbers. I know a guy with millions, jet/mansion/exotic cars.............guy is miserable like can't get out of bed some days. Money doesn't always fix everything!

Old 09-14-2019, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I don't compare what I have to others, because it doesn't matter. We have enough to be comfortable, and pretty much do what we want.

If I compare to others who have more, then I'm going to feel unhappy with what I DO have, and that is stupid. PLUS, you never really know what the situation is with others. I have friends who live it up, but have no savings.

And yes, we are better off than many, and we are grateful for that. I would rather see those people with more though.
Slippery slope..........brag how good your life is and suddenly people will start asking you for money!

I'd rather let people think I am struggling so that isn't ever a thought to ask me for money!

Old 09-14-2019, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I totally agree, all the money in the world won't make up for poor health.
Steve Jobs found that out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or