U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 09:25 AM

6,552 posts, read 5,238,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
A bit OT, but people who run pawnshops are either criminals themselves or they rub elbows with criminals on a regular basis. Id recommend you avoid bringing them into your life circle unless you want trouble.
you could be right!

He probably has off the books "income" also, but spends it foolishly and then whines about how hard his life is!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 09:27 AM

8,315 posts, read 5,089,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
I'm just a million dollars short of being a millionaire
Envy is wasted emotion.

Besides, you don't own 56 million dollars. 56 million owns YOU. Ask any lottery winner.

Old Today, 09:35 AM

2,538 posts, read 3,741,341 times
Default Still not sure I am there......

Sure, I know lots of people who are in far worse shape, but does that mean we did better than most or better than just a few?

We have:
  • A house which still has a Mortgage, although we could pay it off from savings if we really wanted or needed to do this.
  • Three cars fully paid off, but the newest of these is 12 years old.
  • Both children have completed College and Grad School, and we have no lingering debts from this.
  • An invested savings equal to 15 times our working gross annual income.
  • And a deep-seated fear or reluctance to spend too much.

Old Today, 09:36 AM

6,059 posts, read 5,003,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmp61616 View Post
I don't think comparisons to other people are useful. I have been up and down in life. I was once down to my last $50. Another time I had a job, but literally no money. I had to borrow lunch money until payday. I have also been up a half a million dollars, and owned my home outright. Life happens. Things are going your way until they are not. Having an illness, having a loved one get sick, losing your job, and who knows what else. You might think you are rich today but you may be poor later. I knew a guy in college. He did well, and retired at 50. Then his mother got sick at 85. Dementia, Alzheimers, nursing homes. She lived to be 97. The cost of care and nursing home costs wiped him out. Now he gets by pet sitting and on social security. You can always find people doing better than you and people far worse. Be happy with what you have when you get older.
RE: the bolded above. YES. This is the key to retirement happiness. I know people with little who are very happy, and I know folks with multi-million dollar homes who are cranky, awful people. It feels so much better to just be content with where you are and not compare one's self all the time to people whose trials and cares you know nothing about. Besides appearances can be deceiving, and you may think you know how someone is doing, but really you don't.

Old Today, 09:40 AM

640 posts, read 272,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmp61616 View Post
I don't think comparisons to other people are useful. I have been up and down in life. I was once down to my last $50. Another time I had a job, but literally no money. I had to borrow lunch money until payday. I have also been up a half a million dollars, and owned my home outright. Life happens. Things are going your way until they are not. Having an illness, having a loved one get sick, losing your job, and who knows what else. You might think you are rich today but you may be poor later. I knew a guy in college. He did well, and retired at 50. Then his mother got sick at 85. Dementia, Alzheimers, nursing homes. She lived to be 97. The cost of care and nursing home costs wiped him out. Now he gets by pet sitting and on social security. You can always find people doing better than you and people far worse. Be happy with what you have when you get older.
Very wise words! I remember once taking a roll of pennies to the bank in order not to be overdrawn and get hit with the penalty! I try not to do the comparison thing, but will say I felt I could finally relax financially when I sold my home in a HCOL and was able to buy my current home in a LCOL with the cash from that sale. I feel like a millionaire every day now! No rent, no mortgage! Life is good!

Old Today, 09:58 AM

2,442 posts, read 2,518,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Envy is wasted emotion.

Besides, you don't own 56 million dollars. 56 million owns YOU. Ask any lottery winner.
Everybody that's poor says that

He and his wife have paid off their kid's home's, retired, bought new cars, and bought a nice home in Santa Barbara.

I think he said after taxes they're were at $40 million. I'm guessing they're down to $35 million or so.

I'm happy for them, and would trade places in a heartbeat. To not do so is foolish.

Old Today, 10:01 AM

2,442 posts, read 2,518,687 times
As far as the lottery reference, they were well off before, they'll be fine in the future.

Old Today, 10:07 AM

4,571 posts, read 5,536,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Someday someone's going to explain to me exactly how that is possible.

'Cause it always sounds like sour grapes when the not-so-well-off say it.
It is just a way of life for me.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain or bitter, for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

https://www.desiderata.com/desiderata.html

Old Today, 10:12 AM

6,059 posts, read 5,003,316 times
I think what makes me feel good about where I am, regardless of what others have, is knowing where I came from, and where I've landed. I'm happy to have ended up as well as I have coming from literally nothing. I was raised incredibly poor. At times, we were one tiny step above homeless. I was working in senior year of high school to support myself entirely on my little cashier wage, riding the bus to and from work even late at night, not even $20 left at the end of each month. So I am very happy that I was able to get to a point of carefree middle to upper middle class early retirement. Seeing others with more does not fill me with envy. Sometimes having more stuff and more money just means you have to worry a lot more about how you're going to keep it all going, or keeping from losing it all somehow.

Old Today, 10:23 AM

227 posts, read 128,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I'm due to close on a condo this week.
Congratulations on the purchase.

Quote:
I told the guy he could make better at the local Citi debt collection call center, and at any number of jobs. He says he likes the pawn shop because it's flexible around what his kid does.....This dude is really barely scraping by. He has no slack in his life, and likely no luxuries. Compared to him, I'm doing incredibly well.
First I don't think it serves any purpose to compare yourself to others but if you must...There is no way to compare your life to the life of a man with a family. Different goals, different responsibilities, different priorities etc. etc. He may not be able to invest it, can't take a vacation with it or buy "luxuries" but the bond he's building with his son because he's made him a priority speaks volumes about your friends character.

Quote:
Compared to most of the people on this board, I'm dirt poor. In sum, I'm doing better than the vast majority of my peers. Did you, and when did you realize you did better than those of a similar background?
Why do you care if someone has a bigger bank account, a larger house, a newer car, takes more trips etc.? None of that has any impact on your life. Your goal should be to live your best life, whatever you think that is.

To answer your last question....I've always had less money than some and more than others. Don't most people fit into that category? It's a waste of time to compare myself to others. As the saying goes...Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or