Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2019, 05:29 PM

2,019 posts, read 3,194,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Same with the top people in China, their kids and spouses all come over here and spend money like crazy.
I work at a university in a small college town in the Midwest. The amount of YOUNG Asian students driving Porsches and Mercedes is mind boggling. They are not as common in this area.

My daughter went to college at another college in a neighboring state in the Midwest. One Asian student left his Porsche in the parking lot of the dorms with the keys in it when he went back to China.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2019, 07:34 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Insecure, vapid humans feel the need to prove they are worthy so they look for reasons and ways to flaunt and make sure others know what they have in terms of wealth. They do this because they don't believe deep down inside they have any real value, so they prop themselves up to try and impress others and feel more important.

I suppose that works on some, but anyone really worth knowing doesn't care about what things someone has, they care about the individual and valuing them for the friend/partner/neighbor/relative they are.

I got the constant lesson growing up to not flaunt the fact that I was more affluent than other people. I've always driven fairly modest cars when my peers owned Euro luxury brands and performance cars. If you see me walking down the street, there aren't any real clues to my socioeconomic status. I generally don't talk about all the trappings of affluence around people I don't know.

Old 09-13-2019, 03:29 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,209,487 times
It is pretty hard to persuade women to let their hair get long.

Old 09-13-2019, 03:59 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,252,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Insecure, vapid humans feel the need to prove they are worthy so they look for reasons and ways to flaunt and make sure others know what they have in terms of wealth. They do this because they don't believe deep down inside they have any real value, so they prop themselves up to try and impress others and feel more important.

I suppose that works on some, but anyone really worth knowing doesn't care about what things someone has, they care about the individual and valuing them for the friend/partner/neighbor/relative they are.
Call me crazy, or vapid, but I like nice things. And I like to use my friends nice things if they want to share. And I think I’m worth caring about. Being generous and sharing when you have the means is a good quality in my book. There is no virtue in being miserly.
Who wouldn’t want to hitch a ride to a destination wedding on a relatives private plane use the weekend house in the hamptons along with the luxury car in the garage or the box seats. They aren’t flaunting, Why don’t you see them as are fun nice people with amazing lifestyles. Personally I like to hear about all the interesting places places they go and interesting people they meet.

Old 09-13-2019, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
Wow you have rich friends, I don't know anyone that can buy a country (Bulgaria) easily.

A Maserati is no problem. LOL
How about Iceland?

Old 09-13-2019, 06:41 AM

19,803 posts, read 9,357,559 times
This thread reminded me of a supposedly true story I read a few years ago:

A very wealthy man could hardly care less about his appearance, and thought nothing of wearing a stained t-shirt, almost worn-out jeans, and old shoes in public. One day in the very nice harbor section of Long Beach, he was just sitting on a bench when a cop approached him with an "attitude", apparently thinking the man was homeless, and asked for his ID. The cop was very surprised when the man pulled out his wallet that was filled with various platinum and gold credit cards.

My opinion is that many people who are wealthy don't feel the need to flaunt their wealth, and people should not make assumptions based only on appearance.

Old 09-13-2019, 07:12 AM

11,128 posts, read 9,760,240 times
The above is very true, and works both ways. One should not assume that someone is wealthy just because they have the trappings of wealth. A fancy car could just be leased. A big house could just be mortgaged to the hilt, or inherited, but maybe no money came with it.

When I was 18 I was riding along with a friend who had an errand to drop off something at a home in the hills. After being in the somewhat funky, but very unusual house for a few minutes we accomplished our task and left. It was definitely not a mansion or anything, just a sort of rustic, hippie style house in the LA hills. At that point my friend told me who the owner of the house was, the heir to the fortune of a major food product company that has been around for MANY decades. I would never have thought this house belonged to a mega-multi-millionaire.

Flaunting one's wealth can often get that person targeted for crime, or taken advantage of by users who just want to get what they can.

Last edited by TheShadow; 09-13-2019 at 07:23 AM..

Old 09-13-2019, 08:14 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,550,878 times
One thing I have always pre-judged about people....if they went out of their way to tell me how much they have, how often they got laid, how great they were, etc. 99/100 times they were wannabes and full of crap.....I grew up in NY and went to school with a number of people who became very successful (Wall Street, CEO's, attorneys, medicine) , have family in Greenwich, CT, and my oldest friend lives in Palm Beach, FL--none of these people ever bragged about their success; they were too busy working for it and didn't have the time for BS nor need to impress others.

Old 09-13-2019, 08:20 AM

3,272 posts, read 3,933,909 times
You guys crack me up. What you call "flaunting", is what some people call, "enjoying life".

Hey, you want to live in abject poverty your whole life, knock yourself out. Me, I'd rather be farting thru silk sheets.

Old 09-13-2019, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
You guys crack me up. What you call "flaunting", is what some people call, "enjoying life".

Hey, you want to live in abject poverty your whole life, knock yourself out. Me, I'd rather be farting thru silk sheets.
So true. Exactly what do you talk to your friends about? Its not work because your all retired. Isn't it vacations, places you've gone to eat (that's most of my conversations these days), events and concerts attended, maybe car shopping, home improvements....
Better than boring conversations about how amazing the grandkids are or about health and doctors. Politics are tough and "how bout them Yankees" get old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement