U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2019, 07:54 PM

14,563 posts, read 7,817,694 times

Advertisements

This Despicable Me 2 scene set to Pharrell Williams "Happy" is pretty upbeat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mdr8vI37MvY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2019, 08:40 PM

7,487 posts, read 1,660,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Probably stupid car chases and crashes, shoot outs, lots of sex. That sort of thing--not much of a story to it, no romance, no meaning, just action and mostly for the sake of action. Childish. Women don't usually like these movies and we got dragged to them by boyfriends back in the day unless we had mature, considerate boyfriends who took our concerns into account.
Yes, but also add comic book characters. Also gore to some extent.

I mean, really, how many Spiderman movies or Halloween-type sequels can they come up with?!

Old 09-13-2019, 12:08 AM

207 posts, read 72,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Probably stupid car chases and crashes, shoot outs, lots of sex. That sort of thing--not much of a story to it, no romance, no meaning, just action and mostly for the sake of action. Childish. Women don't usually like these movies and we got dragged to them by boyfriends back in the day unless we had mature, considerate boyfriends who took our concerns into account.
Did you just forget movies from the 80s and 90s? They were all about huge explosions and gun fights and killing. And some women do enjoy those kinds of movies, women take men to see rom-coms so why is it bad they take them to an action movie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Yes, but also add comic book characters. Also gore to some extent.

I mean, really, how many Spiderman movies or Halloween-type sequels can they come up with?!
This isn't new, think how many Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm street movies there are, and that was in the 80s.

Old 09-13-2019, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azureth View Post
Did you just forget movies from the 80s and 90s? They were all about huge explosions and gun fights and killing. And some women do enjoy those kinds of movies, women take men to see rom-coms so why is it bad they take them to an action movie?

This isn't new, think how many Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm street movies there are, and that was in the 80s.
Your question was: What makes a movie "aimed at juvenile males"? (Btw, I repped you accidentally when I was clicking on your question to copy it here.) You did not add anything about a specific decade, so our answers were not limited to a certain decade -- or at least it wasn't for me; I don't want to speak for other posters.

And, although you did not ask me the first question, there is nothing wrong with action movies, and I do like some of them. ("Die Hard", "Lethal Weapon", "Unstoppable", "Taken". "Olympus Has Fallen" and almost all Harrison Ford movies, to name just a few.)

Also, as you are not a retiree, why do you ask questions that seem to be baiting us oldsters? Imo, you come across -- to me, at least -- as being almost hostile. (I apologize if I am mistaken about that.)

I do not object to younger people coming to this forum -- Serious Conversation is a frequent poster here, and I enjoy his or her posts -- but if you don't generally like 'senior' tastes or opinions or whatever, then why do you even bother posting here? Yes, it is a "free country", but why do you even want to post here unless it is just to criticize? Or do you want to change our minds about our movie preferences and think you can accomplish that by criticizing them (or us)? Or are you just doing some kind of research on old people?

Last edited by katharsis; 09-13-2019 at 06:25 AM..

Old 09-13-2019, 06:41 AM

10,986 posts, read 5,138,010 times
Enough Said with James Gandolfini and Julia Louis-Dreyfus with a nice, feel good movie. The Blind Side and Under the Tuscan Sun were also good. I always loved Moonstruck but that was released in 1987. The Bird Cage with Robin Williams was hysterical but that was 1996.

Old 09-13-2019, 06:59 AM

7,216 posts, read 3,978,469 times
Quote:
My husband and I saw a Doris Day and Jack Lemmon movie, "It Happened to Jane" (1959) last night that we had never seen before, and we enjoyed it so much! However, it prompted a discussion between us about movies now vs. movies then, and how there are so (comparatively) few movies made after 2000 for adults that just make you feel good and/or happy.

It seems to me that most of G-rated and PG-rated movies made in the last 20 years are for children, with the exception of period/historical dramas (which are sometimes historically incorrect, unproven or doubtful due to today's PC culture, imo) and some musicals. However, please don't misunderstand this last sentence as, for example, it was very off-putting for us to see an entirely white cast in "Jane" with only one exception -- a black person playing a servant -- but the story did take place in Maine, which was and still is about 97% white.

Anyway, I am just wondering if you would please list your favorite movies made after 2000 of any genre that, as the title says, made you feel good and/or happy. Mine would include:

"Mamma Mia"
"The 100-Foot Journey"
"Holiday" (Kate Winslet and Cameron Diaz)
"Joyeux Noel"
"Fever Pitch"
"50 First Dates"
"The Greatest Showman"
"Music and Lyrics"
"Unstoppable"
"A Good Year"
"Far From the Madding Crowd"

(And those are ALL I can think of after thinking about it for at least about ten minutes! I do have some other modern favorites, but they are depressing to at least some degree.)

Thanks in advance!
You consider "Far from the Madding Crowd" a feel good movie? It's a sad drama where a handsome lover soldier commits suicide, an older suitor is repeatedly dejected and rejected and goes off to live the rest of his sad life until, I think, he has a heart attack. The only good thing is the lead female finally decides who she is going to love, and it turns out to be the farmhand on her large farm. If you call that a good thing.

There are too many movies that are comedies or musicals or romances made for adults, all of which would be considered feel good movies for adults. Thousands of them. But a few I can think of are:

South Pacific
Oklahoma
Chicago
The Music Man
With Six You Get Eggroll
The Egg and I
Yours, Mine, and Ours
The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas
The Rocky Horror Picture Show
Calamity Jane
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
What A Way to Go

Old 09-13-2019, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
You consider "Far from the Madding Crowd" a feel good movie? It's a sad drama where a handsome lover soldier commits suicide, an older suitor is repeatedly dejected and rejected and goes off to live the rest of his sad life until, I think, he has a heart attack. The only good thing is the lead female finally decides who she is going to love, and it turns out to be the farmhand on her large farm. If you call that a good thing.
Yes, I do consider "Far From a Madding Crowd" as a feel good movie because (spoiler alert) she ends up with Gabriel Oak at the end, and I think that if this had been a true story, they would have ended up living very happily together. It was too bad that things were not good (to say the least) before then -- and, yes, character of Boldwood was very sad (although you were slightly wrong about his end), and what happened with Fanny Robin was tragic, and it was terrible about Young George, etc., etc., but, again, imo, it had a VERY happy ending. And what made it an especially happy ending was due to all the tragedy that had come before. (Just my opinion, of course!)

Also, Gabriel was more than just a field hand! He was a very good man, just not "flashy" -- so, yes, I do consider that a good thing! If I had been Bathsheba, I would have fallen for him much sooner than she did -- but then, I have never cared for the usual "heartthrobs" that many women go for, although I can admire the Tom Selleck types from a purely physical standpoint. (Nothing against Tom Selleck -- I am also a pushover for men with twinkly eyes and a great sense of humor!)

P.S. I loved "A Way to Go"! I completely forgot about that one! Great cast!! However, although that is definitely a comedy, it could be argued that it had something in common with "Far From a Madding Crowd" in that the MacClaine character quite a few mishaps (to say the least!) before finding, hopefully, true happiness! Great cast (Paul Newman and Dick Van Dyke and I forget who else!) Oh, I just found the trailer! AMAZING cast!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDhl7HRY8Dk

Last edited by katharsis; 09-13-2019 at 07:39 AM..

Old 09-13-2019, 08:20 AM

14,158 posts, read 8,854,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
This Despicable Me 2 scene set to Pharrell Williams "Happy" is pretty upbeat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mdr8vI37MvY
The goldfish in our pond are named Margo, Edith and Agnes.
Something has gone wrong, though. This year there are more fish!

Somebody is gonna have to have a name change.

Old 09-13-2019, 09:16 AM

14,563 posts, read 7,817,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
The goldfish in our pond are named Margo, Edith and Agnes.
Something has gone wrong, though. This year there are more fish!

Somebody is gonna have to have a name change.

I'm 61. I like animated kid movies. Go figure.

Old 09-13-2019, 09:29 AM

207 posts, read 72,900 times
Quote:
Yes, I do consider "Far From a Madding Crowd" as a feel good movie because (spoiler alert) she ends up with Gabriel Oak at the end, and I think that if this had been a true story, they would have ended up living very happily together. It was too bad that things were not good (to say the least) before then -- and, yes, character of Boldwood was very sad (although you were slightly wrong about his end), and what happened with Fanny Robin was tragic, and it was terrible about Young George, etc., etc., but, again, imo, it had a VERY happy ending. And what made it an especially happy ending was due to all the tragedy that had come before. (Just my opinion, of course!)

Also, Gabriel was more than just a field hand! He was a very good man, just not "flashy" -- so, yes, I do consider that a good thing! If I had been Bathsheba, I would have fallen for him much sooner than she did -- but then, I have never cared for the usual "heartthrobs" that many women go for, although I can admire the Tom Selleck types from a purely physical standpoint. (Nothing against Tom Selleck -- I am also a pushover for men with twinkly eyes and a great sense of humor!)

P.S. I loved "A Way to Go"! I completely forgot about that one! Great cast!! However, although that is definitely a comedy, it could be argued that it had something in common with "Far From a Madding Crowd" in that the MacClaine character quite a few mishaps (to say the least!) before finding, hopefully, true happiness! Great cast (Paul Newman and Dick Van Dyke and I forget who else!) Oh, I just found the trailer! AMAZING cast!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDhl7HRY8Dk
Just feeling lots of people here have a VERY black & white thinking when it comes to movies today. There have been PLENTY "feel good movies" made post-2000, Peanut Butter Falcon, Yesterday, and Blinded By The Light all came out in the last month or so. [mod cut - personal attack]

Heck, just check out this list:

https://thevore.com/the-best-feel-good-movies/

And those are all movies that came out in 2018 and 2019.

Last edited by VTsnowbird; 09-13-2019 at 03:41 PM.. Reason: personal attack
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement