U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2019, 04:30 AM

7,637 posts, read 1,713,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azureth View Post
Just feeling lots of people here have a VERY black & white thinking when it comes to movies today. There have been PLENTY "feel good movies" made post-2000, Peanut Butter Falcon, Yesterday, and Blinded By The Light all came out in the last month or so. [mod cut - personal attack]

Heck, just check out this list:

https://thevore.com/the-best-feel-good-movies/

And those are all movies that came out in 2018 and 2019.
In going back and reading the newest posts from yesterday, I reread the above, and I do owe Azureth an apology because s/he did respond to my request for suggestions, and I simply over-reacted to what I thought was a rude attitude. That being the case, I do apologize and am sorry for my over-reaction.

So, a few minutes ago I did click on the link and read the descriptions of the movies listed, but the movies at the link show why I posted my request in the Retirement section in order to receive first-hand opinions from my fellow seniors. I do realize that my tastes are old-fashioned to a large degree; and in my opinion, I think that most of the selections in the above link would appeal mostly to a 'modern' younger audience and not to a more 'traditional' older one. (Btw, although this is not really important, the movies in the link had as early a release date as 2011, so whoever selected the list and the person who wrote the heading evidently had some kind of communication problem, lol.)

P.S. And for everyone else who has added new suggestions to the list, THANKS!

Last edited by katharsis; 09-14-2019 at 05:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2019, 09:12 AM

725 posts, read 222,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azureth View Post
Just feeling lots of people here have a VERY black & white thinking when it comes to movies today. There have been PLENTY "feel good movies" made post-2000, Peanut Butter Falcon, Yesterday, and Blinded By The Light all came out in the last month or so. [mod cut - personal attack]

Heck, just check out this list:

https://thevore.com/the-best-feel-good-movies/

And those are all movies that came out in 2018 and 2019.
The movies on this list look really good, specifically Poms. I've just ordered it for tonight when my mother comes to visit. thanks for posting this site I've never heard of.

Old 09-14-2019, 09:47 PM

18,837 posts, read 23,665,371 times
"Upside Down".

Old 09-15-2019, 08:48 AM

34,936 posts, read 34,088,216 times
This is really hard for me. I like Thrillers and I watch at least 3 - 4 movies a week. Even the old movies I watch are more thrillers than uplifting. I looked at everyone's posts and I only see 4 movies that I have ever seen but one of them is a movie that's in my Top 10 among the Thrillers and the Horror and that is:

Sweet Home Alabama (2002)

It's constantly on TV so you wouldn't even have to rent it. Watch the unedited (for time) one. Another uplifting movie that I'd recommend is:

The Pursuit of Happyness (2006)

I watched it (on TV) after seeing the real Chris Gardner (on some news show), who is now a businessman and motivational speaker and who is now quite wealthy. The movie takes place during his homeless years with his young son. So, I went into it knowing it would end well for the real Gardner. Will Smith is in it.

Runners up:

Rudy
We Are Marshall
A Beautiful Mind
Lilies of The Field (much older)

Totally opposite but worth a mention:

Now if you want to cry from the beginning to the end (and I'm not kidding, you might want to watch it alone with a box of Kleenex, but NEVER watch it in public or with other people because it will be impossible to blubber away undetected for the entire length of the movie), and see really good performances, I highly recommend the movie:

Testament (this is the one with Jane Alexander since more than this movie might have that same name)

It's about a small town in California, and one family in particular, who experience the effects of radioactive fallout after a nuclear bomb hits San Francisco (that part is off-screen so this isn't a blow up the city action movie). Jane Alexander was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Actress. Also in the movie is a fantastic performance by Lukas Haas as a young child and before they were famous, and in much smaller roles, Kevin Costner and Rebecca DeMornay. William Devane makes a cameo.

Also, I did not see the movie Unbroken but I did read the book. If the movie is as good as the book, that movie is in the same category as The Pursuit of Happyness. Very uplifting.

Last edited by LauraC; 09-15-2019 at 09:00 AM..

Old 09-15-2019, 01:53 PM

4,899 posts, read 3,311,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post

Testament (this is the one with Jane Alexander since more than this movie might have that same name)

It's about a small town in California, and one family in particular, who experience the effects of radioactive fallout after a nuclear bomb hits San Francisco (that part is off-screen so this isn't a blow up the city action movie). Jane Alexander was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Actress. Also in the movie is a fantastic performance by Lukas Haas as a young child and before they were famous, and in much smaller roles, Kevin Costner and Rebecca DeMornay. William Devane makes a cameo.

I wouldn't call this a feel-good movie. It was a VERY heavy movie-but it was a good one.

Cat

Old 09-17-2019, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Some of my favorites are already listed but I'll add Jon Favreau's 2014 "Chef", 2017's "Logan Lucky" and 2006 "Little Miss Sunshine".

Edit: 2091 "Legally Blond"; 2004 "13 going on 30"; 2014 "Bridesmaids"...
If you're willing to go back further than the 2000s, in addition to what's already been mentioned, I'd add "Mr. Holland's Opus".
Thanks for your recommendations, and I am now starting on the list I've compiled from this thread, but I want to tell you and others that I did not like "Bridesmaids" at al, as I thought it was VERY raunchy to the point that I put it back in its case for return to the library midway through the first scene*; and I can't imagine that most seniors would like it. (But, of course, that is my opinion and I could be wrong about the majority of seniors not liking it. I am writing my opinion here just to caution other seniors who do not like that kind of humor.)

However, I do like "Legally Blond", "Chef", "13 Going on 30", and "Mr. Holland's Opus" VERY much!

*For clarification, I watched (or started to watch) the Unrated version of "Bridesmaids", so maybe the theatrical version was not quite so "R-rated"??

Last edited by katharsis; 09-17-2019 at 08:21 AM..

Old 09-18-2019, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by settled00 View Post
The movies on this list look really good, specifically Poms. I've just ordered it for tonight when my mother comes to visit. thanks for posting this site I've never heard of.
regretful that movie was horrid. Not good, but instead horribly sad and equally horrid acting.

Old 09-18-2019, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Blue crush - 2002

Lady Bird- 2017

The intouchables - 2011

Pitch perfect - 2012
have seen them all and the only one that was watchable to me was Blue Crush.

Lady Bird, just another whiney self-entitle lib angry at the world.

The Pitch Perfect, disgusting.

The Intouchables? Just watched the trailer. May have to watch this movie.

Old 09-18-2019, 06:09 AM

Now that this thread has been going for a while, perhaps we could make this thread a movie opinion or review thread as well? Maybe after someone sees a movie that they really like (either a new one or an old favorite), I would like and appreciate it if they could just write about it here. (Kind of a movie chat thread for seniors.)

Old 09-18-2019, 04:23 PM

21,738 posts, read 17,208,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalTwinkie View Post
Gidget movies
Elvis Presley movies
Minions (all of them)
Fat Greek Wedding 1 and 2 (I still laugh at the punchlines even though I know what they are going to say).
Forgot about my big fat Greek wedding! Yes I love that one too. I also forgot about Babe and The Full Monty, both of which I love. I donít always rewatch the entirety of Babe but if itís on I tune in for the sheep herding contest at the end which always makes me feel warm and fuzzy. The first time I watched the Full Monty I had to put closed captioning on, their accents are so thick, but after many viewings donít need them anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement