U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2019, 08:11 PM

3,100 posts, read 1,687,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
this one goes a long way back, 1983, but "local hero" is one of my all time favorites. burt lancaster, a very young peter capaldi, and peter riegert.
Second this; on the "favorite movies each year" thread this was my pick as my favorite movie for that year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2019, 10:50 PM

21,923 posts, read 23,430,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Thanks for your recommendations, and I am now starting on the list I've compiled from this thread, but I want to tell you and others that I did not like "Bridesmaids" at al, as I thought it was VERY raunchy to the point that I put it back in its case for return to the library midway through the first scene*; and I can't imagine that most seniors would like it. (But, of course, that is my opinion and I could be wrong about the majority of seniors not liking it. I am writing my opinion here just to caution other seniors who do not like that kind of humor.)

However, I do like "Legally Blond", "Chef", "13 Going on 30", and "Mr. Holland's Opus" VERY much!

*For clarification, I watched (or started to watch) the Unrated version of "Bridesmaids", so maybe the theatrical version was not quite so "R-rated"??
Is Bridesmaids raunchy - well yes, but if you'd watched the whole movie you'd have seen a movie that is a testament to the strength of friendships between women, not to mention a sweet romance - so while it definitely has it's raunchy moments, in the end it's a "feel good" movie. Many seniors do enjoy the movie - we grew up watching SNL after all.

*edit - I'd also include "We're the Millers" (mentioned upthread somewhere); raunchy parts but funny and sweet with a happy ending.

Last edited by maciesmom; 09-22-2019 at 10:58 PM..

Old 09-23-2019, 01:30 PM

57,707 posts, read 55,889,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
Just thought of others:

My Favorite Year
Stardust

The funny thing, both of these have the late great Peter O'Toole-just like Creator that I recommended in my last post on this subject. I do love Peter O'Toole.

Cat
I loved him as Henry II in The Lion In Winter.

Old 09-23-2019, 01:34 PM

57,707 posts, read 55,889,649 times
More than 20 years, but 1993's Alive! is one of my very favorite all-time movies, and it's very a much a feel-good happy movie in its own way.

When I mention this movie, some people get all squitschy and immediately go to "Isn't that the movie about cannibalism?" Well, no, that's a FACTOR in the story, because it's a true story, but it's not the main feature or focus or point. It's a story of survival and the triumph of the human spirit when it seems all hope is lost.

Old 09-24-2019, 06:06 AM

7,648 posts, read 1,719,213 times
Continuing with my reviews on recommended movies in this thread --

I started to watch "Dean Spanley", which several people recommended, and I think I would have loved it, but there were no subtitles on the DVD and the accents of the various actors were difficult for me to understand, so I gave up. As Miramax acquired it in 2008, I would think they would have issued a decent U.S. release, but no -- and, btw, it is now only available used or for $93.00, new. (And it is not available on Blu-Ray, either.)

Old 09-24-2019, 10:25 AM

219 posts, read 78,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
In going back and reading the newest posts from yesterday, I reread the above, and I do owe Azureth an apology because s/he did respond to my request for suggestions, and I simply over-reacted to what I thought was a rude attitude. That being the case, I do apologize and am sorry for my over-reaction.

So, a few minutes ago I did click on the link and read the descriptions of the movies listed, but the movies at the link show why I posted my request in the Retirement section in order to receive first-hand opinions from my fellow seniors. I do realize that my tastes are old-fashioned to a large degree; and in my opinion, I think that most of the selections in the above link would appeal mostly to a 'modern' younger audience and not to a more 'traditional' older one. (Btw, although this is not really important, the movies in the link had as early a release date as 2011, so whoever selected the list and the person who wrote the heading evidently had some kind of communication problem, lol.)

P.S. And for everyone else who has added new suggestions to the list, THANKS!
I accept your apology, but what appeals to a "modern" audience is subjective. Pretty sure when everyone here were in their teens/20s, movies were catered to a "modern audience" would most likely not have been as appealing by your parents and the like.

Old 09-25-2019, 05:08 PM

84 posts, read 34,331 times
Has anyone mentioned “About Time”?

I just watched that again and really enjoyed it.

Also, “Begin Again.”

Old 09-25-2019, 05:35 PM

19,622 posts, read 21,135,789 times
“The Rounders” with Glenn Ford and Henry Fonda.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rounders_(1965_film)

Old Yesterday, 07:57 AM

7,648 posts, read 1,719,213 times
I just watched the first 30 minutes of "The Hangover" last night (recommended) and hated it.

I guess I am just too old and too old-fashioned to appreciate modern raunchy "comedies", lol!

Old Yesterday, 08:29 AM

1,221 posts, read 1,009,398 times
I really appreciate this thread, and many of the suggestions. I would like to add "Lion (2016).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement