Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2019, 06:55 PM

27,212 posts, read 43,910,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Never heard of that one. Looks like it’s worth trying to track down. Thanks for the suggestion.
You're welcome! It's available I know for sure on Amazon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2019, 07:02 PM

5,251 posts, read 3,608,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
In my opinion, judging from the trailers, MOST of them (post 2000 or so) seem to be violent and/or depressing and/or aimed at juvenile males. Also, it seems to me that old-fashioned romances (for example, "Pride and Prejudice") are becoming more and more of a rarity.

Yes, I am old-fashioned and proud of it! (Judging from your posts, I don't think that you agree that it is okay to be old-fashioned, but that's okay. Everyone is still allowed to have differing opinions and tastes.)
Films have become so expensive to make that studios will only invest in those that look like they will have a built in audience to recoup the huge investment they need to make, so that's why all the sequels of previous hits & movie "series" & especially fantasy movies aimed at young people, especially males who go to cinemas on dates & see the same movies several times over & have video games or comics as their reference point, not books or literature. There are a few exceptions but they just prove the rule.

Most of the mature character based films - those not based on explosions, comic books or fast cars & guns - those are mostly appearing now on the streaming services. The upside, besides not having to deal with sticky floors & people talking on cellphones, is that some of them can be expanded to limited series rather than confined to 120 minutes.

Old 09-11-2019, 08:32 PM

914 posts, read 642,922 times
This is one where the characters grow on you. They are quirky, and beautifully genuine people. It's about finding yourself and trying things you never had the courage to do before. I just watched the trailer on IMDB, it still makes me smile.

I believe it was overlooked because of the title: Unconditional Love - How corny!. It also came out about the same year the Love, Actually came out, so people confused them and the title sounds lame.

There are so many others. What a great thread.

Old 09-12-2019, 05:26 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
Blue crush - 2002

Lady Bird- 2017

The intouchables - 2011

Pitch perfect - 2012

Old 09-12-2019, 01:57 PM

26,653 posts, read 28,677,767 times
Finding Forrester--2000.

Well, it's not hahahaha funny/happy but I like this kind of story, a coming of age story about a boy who finds a mentor and is challenged to be honest and do the right thing. And he does remain honest and does the right thing. The ending is not hoooray! though and there is a tinge of sadness, but he does win and the movie leaves you feeling inspired and sort of restores your faith in humanity. So all in all, it does make you feel good.

Amistad--1998.

Again, not ha ha funny, but truth prevails! Probably my favorite movie of all time.

Summer of '42--1971.

Another coming of age set during WWII. Maybe it's a little bit sad but there is love and there is meaning. And it's for adults, not violence loving kiddos. It's a beautiful movie.

Old 09-12-2019, 05:24 PM

346 posts, read 237,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
In my opinion, judging from the trailers, MOST of them (post 2000 or so) seem to be violent and/or depressing and/or aimed at juvenile males. Also, it seems to me that old-fashioned romances (for example, "Pride and Prejudice") are becoming more and more of a rarity.

Yes, I am old-fashioned and proud of it! (Judging from your posts, I don't think that you agree that it is okay to be old-fashioned, but that's okay. Everyone is still allowed to have differing opinions and tastes.)
What makes a movie "aimed at juvenile males"?

Old 09-12-2019, 05:42 PM

482 posts, read 902,132 times
Gidget movies
Elvis Presley movies
Minions (all of them)
Fat Greek Wedding 1 and 2 (I still laugh at the punchlines even though I know what they are going to say).

Old 09-12-2019, 07:07 PM

25,570 posts, read 17,281,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaJollaEast View Post
We love Waking Ned Devine at our house and also the British Death at a Funeral.
I like Four Weddings and a Funeral, Notting Hill and Big Fish too.
Waking Ned Devine is worth repeating.
FYI: The song they finished it with is called "The Parting Glass". It was sung before Auld Lang Syne. Parting Glass", as in the last drink.
Turn the volume up!

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...2EE1&FORM=VIRE

Old 09-12-2019, 07:07 PM

26,653 posts, read 28,677,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azureth View Post
What makes a movie "aimed at juvenile males"?
Probably stupid car chases and crashes, shoot outs, lots of sex. That sort of thing--not much of a story to it, no romance, no meaning, just action and mostly for the sake of action. Childish. Women don't usually like these movies and we got dragged to them by boyfriends back in the day unless we had mature, considerate boyfriends who took our concerns into account.

Old 09-12-2019, 07:51 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,016,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Little known but hilarious - "Waking Ned Devine."
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaJollaEast View Post
We love Waking Ned Devine at our house....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Waking Ned Devine is worth repeating.
FYI: The song they finished it with is called "The Parting Glass". It was sung before Auld Lang Syne. Parting Glass", as in the last drink.
I love that movie as well. In fact, I re-watched it not long ago with my parents (who had never seen it), along with The Quiet Man, which is one of my all-time favorites. After that double feature, I asked my wife if she wanted to take another trip to Ireland, a country we love, but haven't visited in about 15 years. To make a long story short, I booked two tickets on Aer Lingus and we're flying to Dublin two weeks from today! After spending the weekend there, we'll be renting a car and driving around the country for another week.

And one of our stops on this trip will be to Cong in County Mayo, where much of The Quiet Man was filmed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eisl9bSTNIU
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement