U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:50 AM

1,664 posts, read 354,529 times

Advertisements

Been a "gamer" since the 80's....gamer for life.

I'd rather spend 2-3 hours a night gaming then sit and watch TV.
I play ESO and WOW. I found guilds of like minded folks (older/retired) in both games and enjoy the social interaction.

Old Yesterday, 07:51 AM

3,799 posts, read 3,553,829 times
I used to be almost addicted to action games like Doom, Subway Surfer, as well as various multi-player games like online backgammon etc.

I deleted all games from my phone, and avoid seeking them out on the web. Figured out that there are better ways to spend all those wasted minutes, than playing a damn game. Gardening, reading a book, exercising all come to mind.

Plus, I think video games damage the brain.

Old Yesterday, 07:52 AM

2,513 posts, read 1,736,108 times
I recently downloaded an updated 2015 version of D.O.T.T. (Day of the Tenacle) on my iPad for the grandkids. It’s an old Lucas game our son played when he was a pre-teen. The premise is a genetically altered tenacle going for world domination and the object is to stop him/her/it. There is time travel with a porta-a-john and objects needed to solve puzzles can be flushed to the past, future or present. The game starts with a long opening scene setting up the storyline and is a hoot.

I love the humor and had forgotten how funny and fun it is to play and also how boring/frustrating it is when you get stuck. Interestingly, you can choose to play it old style and I was shocked at how pixel-y the animation was on the original version from the 90’s. At the time our son played, it was great animation compared to other games. Even though it doesn't match the sophistication of today’s animation, it’s a fun puzzle solving game.

So yes, I like animation in games and movies. I’m not a gamer or a binge watcher of anything, but I do play games and watch movies/shows.

Last edited by jean_ji; Yesterday at 08:25 AM..

Old Yesterday, 08:28 AM

7,369 posts, read 1,621,341 times
I strongly dislike any kind of video games, but my 63-year-old husband enjoys World of Warcraft, and he also likes animation much more than I do. (The only animation I like are most of the pre-2000 Disney full-length features and that classic, "Gulliver's Travels".)

Old Yesterday, 08:39 AM

283 posts, read 46,101 times
I like games but only play a couple. One is a tropical farming game on my Kindle. The other is a family oriented game my husband and I both have been playing for years --Wizard101, its one of those multiplayer games. There is a lot of adults and we made nice friends on there. He also plays Evony and some other little games on his Kindle. I like these games more in the winter when its so cold out and don't feel like going out. Personally I was never into cartoons (except for Jetsons) as a kid, but the games its a little different. I'm controlling the characters movements and all. I also used to play Sims. Nothing wrong with games generally speaking. His Evony is a bit much tho.

Old Yesterday, 09:29 AM

1,673 posts, read 776,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azureth View Post
Not criticizing, but based on my last topic it seemed lots of people here hated animation and video games and were critical about them, especially Disney movies which I really don't get, sure there have been hit or miss, but during the golden age of Disney we had The little mermaid, Aladdin, the Lion King, The hunchback of notre dame, the emperor's new groove, all really great movies that can be enjoyed by both kids and adults.

As far as video games, obviously none of you grew up with them, but did you ever go to an Arcade or even play the likes of Pong, Pac Man, Space invaders etc.? When video games started to become really popular in the mid 80s what did you think, and what do you think of them now?
What you found and didn't understand was that "lots of people" here [mostly] didn't like the examples of animation that you presented.

I think you might also find that some here would disagree that the "golden age of Disney" corresponds with your timeline and to us, the "golden age" was earlier. Some Disney classics were produced even before many of us oldsters here today were born. Interesting, huh?

Why would that be surprising? See what your taste is in 20 or 30 years. If there are still places like this in whatever form they take, some whippersnapper will be incredulous about what you like, too. Patience, grasshopper. Your turn to be the fuddy duddy fogie is coming!

In the mid 70s, I went to arcades on dates and played games like PacMan, the frog game the name of which CD won't let me type, and Space Invaders as well as pinball. I enjoyed them but wasn't dying to spend all my quarters on them every day.

In the late 80s, I played Oregon Trail and several from the Mario Brothers franchise, etc., with my son and enjoyed them. On a visit to his grandmother's, she hooked up an old Atari game of Pong to a small black and white TV and he enjoyed (but decried) its simplicity.

He still games today, but the games he plays now (WoW, etc.) don't have appeal to me. I do play a few online or phone games occasionally but wouldn't miss them if I didn't.

If I'm not mistaken, you live with your dad who is in his 60s. Have you done any research right there at home? What does he think of the anime and games you like? Is he enjoying My Little Pony with you?

Old Yesterday, 09:35 AM

13,446 posts, read 25,824,907 times
Never was of interest and still isn't. Neither is TV.

Old Yesterday, 09:47 AM

432 posts, read 195,274 times
Direct link to mass shooting in schools.

Old Yesterday, 09:52 AM

229 posts, read 129,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azureth View Post
As far as video games, obviously none of you grew up with them, but did you ever go to an Arcade or even play the likes of Pong, Pac Man, Space invaders etc.? When video games started to become really popular in the mid 80s what did you think, and what do you think of them now?
I remember my oldest son playing video games on his Commadore 64 in the early 80's. Nothing like the ones out now but he enjoyed them. Both of my kids liked going to the arcade and I didn't mind going with them. Cheap entertainment and fun. Having said that, they had other interests away from the computer and arcade.

I think video games can be a lot of fun, I've played them thru the years...Phantasmagoria, Myst, *******, Pong, Journeyman, Loderunner, Caeser's. (a long time ago!) My all time favorite...World of Warcraft. Played it for almost 12 years. (in a guild) The only reason I haven't played it lately is because my good computer stopped working and the game doesn't work well on this one. As soon as I get a new computer I'll be back at it. (I'll be 67 in a few weeks)

Old Yesterday, 10:00 AM

10,202 posts, read 12,526,600 times
Stupid and total waste of time.

I especially hate the war games where war is... well.. it is made into a game. Problem with a war game is nobody is really shooting back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or