U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:03 AM

3,143 posts, read 2,084,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
It doesn't surprise me that an autist would prefer animation. With cartoons, the viewer doesn't have to decipher the complexities of a human facial expression, a skill autistic people often lack.

Two-dimensional cartoon characters are not actors. A capable actor brings so much more to the table than a cardboard cutout and can do it without uttering a word. Because cartoon characters have limited range and ability, the plot is simple and heavy-handed. Not a whole lot of subtlety. Particularly when the writer has a political bee up his bonnet and decides to have his characters preach.

I find animation -- all animation -- boring and trite for those reasons. Video games are equally a snooze.

You have evidently never watched anything from Studio Ghibli.

(I loathed the first video game I ever played and vowed I would never go near another. Now, heaven help me, I am playing mindless games on my tablet.).

Old Yesterday, 10:52 AM

283 posts, read 46,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple47 View Post
Direct link to mass shooting in schools.

I see articles that debate that back and forth. But what I really want to respond to is that not all games are violent. There are all kinds of games such as farming games, role playing games or simulation games like Sims, time management games, lots of different types. Not trying to convert you at all into playing video games but just to mention that the violent kind is just one type and easy to avoid.

Old Yesterday, 10:56 AM

6,505 posts, read 4,890,610 times
Both are great in moderation for those 12 and under.

Old Yesterday, 11:08 AM

6,035 posts, read 5,424,131 times
I used to play the original Sim City quite a bit.

Old Yesterday, 11:37 AM

229 posts, read 129,528 times
https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...1206141648.htm

From the article: "If you're between 55 and 75 years old, you may want to try playing 3D platform games like Super Mario 64 to stave off mild cognitive impairment and perhaps even prevent Alzheimer's disease."

Old Yesterday, 11:45 AM

283 posts, read 46,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibay View Post
https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...1206141648.htm

From the article: "If you're between 55 and 75 years old, you may want to try playing 3D platform games like Super Mario 64 to stave off mild cognitive impairment and perhaps even prevent Alzheimer's disease."

I've read that also. There is even a game called Sea Hero Quest that researchers are using to try to detect dementia.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...-a-gaming-app/

Old Yesterday, 02:42 PM

28,374 posts, read 40,258,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple47 View Post
Direct link to mass shooting in schools.
Bullsh1t

Old Yesterday, 02:53 PM

247 posts, read 90,023 times
Given this is a retirement group (I'm all of 63), I associate the golden age of Disney animation with Snow White! The Little Mermaid kicked off the second golden age, technically.

Old Yesterday, 03:00 PM

8,329 posts, read 5,103,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
You have evidently never watched anything from Studio Ghibli.

Oh, DO forgive me for not having experienced every damn thing the world has to offer.

Old Yesterday, 03:26 PM

7,724 posts, read 3,166,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azureth View Post
Not criticizing, but based on my last topic it seemed lots of people here hated animation and video games and were critical about them, especially Disney movies which I really don't get, sure there have been hit or miss, but during the golden age of Disney we had The little mermaid, Aladdin, the Lion King, The hunchback of notre dame, the emperor's new groove, all really great movies that can be enjoyed by both kids and adults.

As far as video games, obviously none of you grew up with them, but did you ever go to an Arcade or even play the likes of Pong, Pac Man, Space invaders etc.? When video games started to become really popular in the mid 80s what did you think, and what do you think of them now?
No idea what you are talking about. Maybe should be in kids topics. Like many of my retired pals, I'm installing new electronics and a 4G radar on my boat. My wiring is a sight to behold!
Video games are a distant memory. We evolved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or