U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 03:42 PM

6,068 posts, read 5,010,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azureth View Post
Not criticizing, but based on my last topic it seemed lots of people here hated animation and video games and were critical about them, especially Disney movies which I really don't get, sure there have been hit or miss, but during the golden age of Disney we had The little mermaid, Aladdin, the Lion King, The hunchback of notre dame, the emperor's new groove, all really great movies that can be enjoyed by both kids and adults.

As far as video games, obviously none of you grew up with them, but did you ever go to an Arcade or even play the likes of Pong, Pac Man, Space invaders etc.? When video games started to become really popular in the mid 80s what did you think, and what do you think of them now?
I actually own 3 full size arcade games at my cabin. They are multi game machines, so we have access to over a hundred different games and virtual pinball tables. The games are mostly old school style games like Ms. Pacman, Donkey Kong, Centipede, etc. We have fun with them, as do our renters.

I don't care for animation aimed at children. The stories are boring and trite. The voices are high-pitched and irritating. I've never cared for Disney after age 8 or 9. By 10 years old I found Disney way too juvenile and I still do. I find them sickening sweet, and mainly aimed at merchandising, so commercial. Anime is even worse to me. All those big eyed characters look alike and I just don't get what the interest in it is. Very fad-ish.

I like stuff like the Simpsons, but that's not really written to target children, since most of the jokes go right over their heads.

Last edited by TheShadow; Yesterday at 03:52 PM..

Old Yesterday, 05:10 PM

173 posts, read 62,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I actually own 3 full size arcade games at my cabin. They are multi game machines, so we have access to over a hundred different games and virtual pinball tables. The games are mostly old school style games like Ms. Pacman, Donkey Kong, Centipede, etc. We have fun with them, as do our renters.

I don't care for animation aimed at children. The stories are boring and trite. The voices are high-pitched and irritating. I've never cared for Disney after age 8 or 9. By 10 years old I found Disney way too juvenile and I still do. I find them sickening sweet, and mainly aimed at merchandising, so commercial. Anime is even worse to me. All those big eyed characters look alike and I just don't get what the interest in it is. Very fad-ish.

I like stuff like the Simpsons, but that's not really written to target children, since most of the jokes go right over their heads.
There are lots of animated shows out there that are anything but "boring and trite": Rick & Morty, King of the Hill, Futurama, Archer, Bojack Horseman, American Dad, Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law, Happy Tree Friends, South Park, Paradise PD just to name a small few. The new Castlevania show on Netflix is really good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cd7fEl_Bnw0

As for Anime, just like with traditional western cartoons you have to shift through some but there are lists online showing the better ones. I especially recommend Cowboy Bebop, even people that don't typically like Anime love it.

Old Yesterday, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Oh, DO forgive me for not having experienced every damn thing the world has to offer.
I think the point is you like many here are erroneously basing your opinions on how good or bad something is based off of very few examples. I'm sure if you actively sought out a certain type of show you could get many good recommendations on what you might like.

Old Yesterday, 05:19 PM

2,612 posts, read 1,159,954 times
Probably most people our age know what they like and seek out similar things. Like if you enjoy murder mysteries, police procedurals or whatever.

So, OP, what have you sought out that is way outside your normal viewing? Ever seen "Your Show of Shows", Red Skelton, Cheers, Taxi, Barney Miller?

I tried watching South Park when it came out, but I couldn't understand what they were saying. I do like the Simpsons and Family Guy.

Old Yesterday, 05:55 PM

20 posts, read 2,057 times
Video games are very addicting and I'm thankful I'm not additited to them!!!

Old Yesterday, 06:42 PM

1,672 posts, read 776,169 times
Quote:
I think the point is you like many here are erroneously basing your opinions on how good or bad something is based off of very few examples. I'm sure if you actively sought out a certain type of show you could get many good recommendations on what you might like.
As you are missing the point that other people – especially those who are not your age mates – have no interest in what you are so enthusiastic about. Continuing to push isn't going to change that basic fact.

"Erroneously" or not, the people who have said they have no interest are not interested in "actively seeking a certain type of show" on the off chance that they might like it. Kindly take note:

They are not bored.

They are not desperate for something to do.

They are not wandering about aimlessly like zombies seeking brains.

They have other interests and things to pay attention to.

Enjoy what you enjoy, but I don't think this bunch of older folks are in need of animation evangelization.

Old Yesterday, 06:50 PM

3,143 posts, read 2,084,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Oh, DO forgive me for not having experienced every damn thing the world has to offer.
Certainly.

Old Yesterday, 07:16 PM

32,375 posts, read 37,118,578 times
The Animation in the new Lion King is amazing. Luckily I have a 6yo grandson I can justify taking to these fun movies and go see the latest and greatest.

They are fun.

Old Yesterday, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
I'm young enough to have grown up with animation and the earliest video games. Never really got interested in either. Didn't watch cartoons as a kid...the TV rule in our family was no TV on school nights (which only left Friday and Saturday evenings) and no daytime TV. At that time cartoons simply weren't being shown when we tended to watch. So, I didn't have much exposure to the classic cartoons very often. If I watch them now there's no real connection to the genre.

Disney animation may have been interesting to watch because of the craftsmanship, but the story lines/plots always seemed sort of insipid to me. Too artificially "nice", too sickly sweet. As for the earlier video games I got bored too fast. Watching one creature kill another, one character kill another is just boring. Blowing things up over and over again. Destruction, guns, fights, blah. Preferred going outdoors and watching real life instead. A lot less predictable.
Well, that's not surprising, with the exception of puzzle games and MMORPG's most girls/women never seemed to really care about video games even if they grew up with them, it's always been a male-dominated activity.

Old Yesterday, 10:05 PM

1,664 posts, read 354,529 times
Quote:
Well, that's not surprising, with the exception of puzzle games and MMORPG's most girls/women never seemed to really care about video games even if they grew up with them, it's always been a male-dominated activity.
46% of gamers today are FEMALE.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...-video-gamers/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or