U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old Today, 01:40 AM

7,782 posts, read 4,442,342 times

Advertisements

Both my retired father and father-in-law are gamers. Father likes flight sims, football games, etc. Father-in-law likes Mass Effect, Dragon Age, etc. Mother/Aunts enjoy games on the Wii.

They just obviously don't have the reflexes for competitive multiplayer games, but single player and party games can be enjoyed by all.

Old Today, 02:36 AM

4,572 posts, read 2,726,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
Are you obsessed with this subject? Cause it seems that you are.

There are many other topics you can bring up besides whether or not we like anime, which was pretty much covered in your other post.
Exactly.

Although I DID play pac man, and even Mrs. Pac man, and pinball machines i was NOT AT ALL OBSESSED WITH THEM, as you seem to be. If i played for a half hour, that was enough.

I think you are looking very hard for validation and justification for you spending hours at them instead of dealing with what the rest of us do: the real world. You won't get your confirmation here.

My Other Half works with special needs people. They are taken out into real world situations and taught what to do, how to do it, how to judge spending money, how to comparison shop, how to communicate with their doctors, and go for at least a walk in the park for exercise, etc.
NOTHING my OH does with them involves arcatdes or video games.

Get over it.

You aren't going find glowing reports here that your obsession is ok.

Move on please.

Best to you if you want to make it your life, but theres more to life than anime and video games.

Old Today, 05:36 AM

6,068 posts, read 5,010,217 times
I think there are just so many other things to do in the world, and other forms of entertainment, that unless you have some really favorite game or show, there is just not enough time in the day to waste hours on games or cartoons. Someday they will have really great virtual reality too, where you can go and "experience" places you will never actually go. Real places like New Zealand maybe, and fantasy places like the planet in Avatar. But there will always be people that prefer to go "for real" and I'll always be one of those people I guess. Games and animation just are not ever going to surpass real life for me. I'd rather sit on the porch swing and drink a beer watching the squirrels than shoot at zombies or listen to squeaky voices sing the same song over and over.

I do enjoy some more adult oriented animated shows occasionally, but I don't seek them out. There is way too much that's just far better entertainment out there to choose from. We have Hulu, Netflix, Amazon, etc, so there is no shortage. We live in an era where we can call up any masterpiece of cinema, or watch virtuoso performances right in our living room. But nothing is like being there live. Animation and video games are just a poor substitute.

Old Today, 06:13 AM

2,612 posts, read 1,159,954 times
Closed. There is no point to the kind of thread that asks, 'do you like this', and when posters answer, 'no I don't', it starts arguments. It's all up to individual tastes.

Also, OP, retirement forum is not really for younger people to come on and ask, "What do old people think of X?" We are not all the same. Now if you want to know about saving for retirement, or where is a good place to move to, jump right in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or