U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2019, 05:40 PM

173 posts, read 62,560 times

Advertisements

Not criticizing, but based on my last topic it seemed lots of people here hated animation and video games and were critical about them, especially Disney movies which I really don't get, sure there have been hit or miss, but during the golden age of Disney we had The little mermaid, Aladdin, the Lion King, The hunchback of notre dame, the emperor's new groove, all really great movies that can be enjoyed by both kids and adults.

As far as video games, obviously none of you grew up with them, but did you ever go to an Arcade or even play the likes of Pong, Pac Man, Space invaders etc.? When video games started to become really popular in the mid 80s what did you think, and what do you think of them now?

Old 09-09-2019, 06:03 PM

2,422 posts, read 1,227,706 times
Are you obsessed with this subject? Cause it seems that you are.

There are many other topics you can bring up besides whether or not we like anime, which was pretty much covered in your other post.

Old 09-09-2019, 06:51 PM

1,851 posts, read 1,162,256 times
They suck.

Old 09-09-2019, 08:06 PM

11,189 posts, read 12,658,468 times
Used to play Call of Duty and Battlefield 2 a few years back, was even in a gaming clan. That was fun! Love the latest animated movies.

Oh if I could just find new episodes of Rabbids Invasion.

Old 09-09-2019, 10:24 PM

3,065 posts, read 1,662,353 times
Outside of The Simpsons?
A way to waste your life.

Old Yesterday, 03:16 AM

7,809 posts, read 3,280,332 times
I'm young enough to have grown up with animation and the earliest video games. Never really got interested in either. Didn't watch cartoons as a kid...the TV rule in our family was no TV on school nights (which only left Friday and Saturday evenings) and no daytime TV. At that time cartoons simply weren't being shown when we tended to watch. So, I didn't have much exposure to the classic cartoons very often. If I watch them now there's no real connection to the genre.

Disney animation may have been interesting to watch because of the craftsmanship, but the story lines/plots always seemed sort of insipid to me. Too artificially "nice", too sickly sweet. As for the earlier video games I got bored too fast. Watching one creature kill another, one character kill another is just boring. Blowing things up over and over again. Destruction, guns, fights, blah. Preferred going outdoors and watching real life instead. A lot less predictable.

Old Yesterday, 07:28 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
30,441 posts, read 55,421,310 times
I'll enjoy an occasional animated movie with the grandkids, and while I have no hatred for gaming I have no desire to participate either. I have too many other hobbies already, and they are mostly productive. No, I never went to arcades, though I did frequent a slot car track as a kid.

Old Yesterday, 07:34 AM

8,329 posts, read 5,103,187 times
It doesn't surprise me that an autist would prefer animation. With cartoons, the viewer doesn't have to decipher the complexities of a human facial expression, a skill autistic people often lack.

Two-dimensional cartoon characters are not actors. A capable actor brings so much more to the table than a cardboard cutout and can do it without uttering a word. Because cartoon characters have limited range and ability, the plot is simple and heavy-handed. Not a whole lot of subtlety. Particularly when the writer has a political bee up his bonnet and decides to have his characters preach.

I find animation -- all animation -- boring and trite for those reasons. Video games are equally a snooze.

Old Yesterday, 07:36 AM

24,312 posts, read 18,118,516 times
I grew up with gaming. I still game most days, even if it's just something like Hearthstone (a card game) on my iPad at the gym.

I like older cartoons. I still watch some cartoons from the 80s/90s that I grew up watching on the Cartoon Network.

Old Yesterday, 07:50 AM

9,953 posts, read 7,219,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azureth View Post
Not criticizing, but based on my last topic it seemed lots of people here hated animation and video games and were critical about them, especially Disney movies which I really don't get, sure there have been hit or miss, but during the golden age of Disney we had The little mermaid, Aladdin, the Lion King, The hunchback of notre dame, the emperor's new groove, all really great movies that can be enjoyed by both kids and adults.

As far as video games, obviously none of you grew up with them, but did you ever go to an Arcade or even play the likes of Pong, Pac Man, Space invaders etc.? When video games started to become really popular in the mid 80s what did you think, and what do you think of them now?
I think they're amazing, but I don't participate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or