Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2019, 08:25 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,756,236 times

Advertisements

Hospitals are excellent here. PCP, I used to like him, now I dread seeing him. I hate all these pretense that I’m going to help you. Same with dentist, he retired, now I have a new one. As someone who just moved up from San Diego said to me yesterday, she loves this area because she can find everything here.
But so far I’m impressed by the services the city and the neighboring one offer to senior citizens. The same support I received when my kids were younger regarding childcare, unless previous place in the Bay Area where I moved from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2019, 08:30 AM

19,804 posts, read 9,353,220 times
Littleton, CO here and we have excellent services except that it was very difficult to find a doctor who accepted new Medicare patients. I finally had to sign up with a general geriatric clinic.

Last edited by katharsis; 09-10-2019 at 09:26 AM..

Old 09-10-2019, 11:08 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,110,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
Good thing that you don't live here in Tennessee as engaging in conversation in almost any setting is common. People here just like to talk at the drop of a hat. Fortunately, I fit right in as I enjoy talking with people.
You must be talking about a rural area. I have been through Tennessee several times with short stops in Memphis and Nashville. I did not notice the inhabitants were particularly friendly or talkative. They do have peculiar accents and expressions.

I did live in Arkansas many years ago. Yup, store clerks were very friendly, y'all come back now. It was all phony pretense. They did not care a bit for Yankees and non-Baptists.

Old 09-10-2019, 11:20 AM

11,055 posts, read 6,639,868 times
Coastal Ecuador:

Pharmacy on every corner but you have to go to 2 or 3 to find what you need.

Grocery store has all the basics, minus a few that just don't exist here (lemons, half n half, other stuff)

Post Office: never been there; we don't get mail here

No primary care doc but the hospital I went to for dislocated hip was just fine; free ambulance ride

Dentists everywhere but ours is across the Andes. Crowns are $400. Office visits $30 and they give you all the time you need. No rushing---same for doctors. You get their cell phone numbers.

No car, but hear that mechanics are iffy. Only Chevys and Chinese/Korean cars here. All stick-shift.

Restaurants are abysmal here, but fine in other areas. We save a lot of money that way, LOL.

Customer service in general is not a "thing". Employees are polite but won't ask if you need help or volunteer anything.

Never been to a vet, but "intact" feral dogs are an issue (not threatening, just around in the streets)

Some gov't services are lacking, but then again we only pay $45 a year taxes.

Seniors are respected and get special treatment and lots of discounts/refunds: like the entire 12% VAT.

Old 09-10-2019, 11:38 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,936,083 times
Very Happy! Which unfortunately has a negative impact on our willingness to move in retirement.

Reasonable taxes,
Reasonable property prices,
Lots of services from the Community,
Bus Stop at the entrance to our subdivision if we ever need it,
Easy access to Expressways, Airport, and Rail,
Reasonable access to Theatres, Museums, Zoos, Sports Arenas, etc. (all less than one hour),
Fantastic Library and Shopping are both walkable distances,
Multiple Parks within walking distances,
Walking/Biking paths connect neighborhoods to Parks,
Two major Research Hospitals,
Two Universities and multiple Colleges

Ypsilanti Township, MI. South of I-94. A Bedroom Community to both Ann Arbor and the Detroit Area Business Suburbs.

Winter can still suck at times............

Old 09-10-2019, 11:42 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,399,080 times
Front Range of Colorado
primary care physician - only went once for general checkup; not impressed so will find another; staff so-so; I don't frequent medical offices so can't comment otherwise
dentist - money grab on all three I have seen; wish I could find an old-fashioned dentist since I have "good" teeth and don't want extra services
car mechanics - Honda dealer for most stuff and very satisfied
veterinarian(s) and other pet services (daycare / boarding) - money grab again (unnecessary services)
attitude or demeanor of staff in all sort of stores (grocery stores, post offices, dry cleaners, pharmacies) - generally, the service people I have met are friendly in the slightly reserved Colorado way, especially those over a certain age.

Read more: Are you happy with the services where you live?

Old 09-10-2019, 11:46 AM

19,804 posts, read 9,353,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
Front Range of Colorado
primary care physician - only went once for general checkup; not impressed so will find another; staff so-so; I don't frequent medical offices so can't comment otherwise
dentist - money grab on all three I have seen; wish I could find an old-fashioned dentist since I have "good" teeth and don't want extra services
car mechanics - Honda dealer for most stuff and very satisfied
veterinarian(s) and other pet services (daycare / boarding) - money grab again (unnecessary services)
attitude or demeanor of staff in all sort of stores (grocery stores, post offices, dry cleaners, pharmacies) - generally, the service people I have met are friendly in the slightly reserved Colorado way, especially those over a certain age.

Read more: Are you happy with the services where you live?
I am also on the Front Range (30 years) and agree absolutely about dentists here! I have been to at least five dentists and they have ALL been money grabbers, except for one. I do wonder if that is the norm for all or most of the U.S., though???

Regarding the vet (and boarding and doggie daycare), however, I have had EXCELLENT ones -- very reasonable and very happy with all. If anyone wants a reference, feel free to DM me.

Old 09-10-2019, 11:52 AM

1,343 posts, read 1,372,033 times
Hi everyone!

As OP, I feel like I should check in from time to time to say that I'm still reading, and really appreciating, everyone's input.

Thank you so much for taking the time to describe these aspects of where you live!

Old 09-10-2019, 12:10 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
You must be talking about a rural area. I have been through Tennessee several times with short stops in Memphis and Nashville. I did not notice the inhabitants were particularly friendly or talkative. They do have peculiar accents and expressions.

I did live in Arkansas many years ago. Yup, store clerks were very friendly, y'all come back now. It was all phony pretense. They did not care a bit for Yankees and non-Baptists.
IMO, Tennessee has a lot of superficial friendliness. You'll get the "ya'll come back" type of thing, but in reality, most people are just too busy with their own lives to care.

Old 09-10-2019, 03:09 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,129,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
No, you're right. It's awful everywhere. I live in Silicon Valley and unless you are wealthy and have rich people insurance and money to pay out of pocket, you will experience terrible healthcare, etc.
What is rich people’s insurance. I have medicare and a supplemental. Is that rich?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement