U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:41 AM

2,083 posts, read 2,714,658 times

Advertisements

I won a free drink on a cruise for knowing that Phil Phillips sang "Sea of Love."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:00 AM

7,369 posts, read 1,621,341 times
I won a twist (the dance) contest with a friend about 1980 or so.

Old Yesterday, 11:05 AM

6,035 posts, read 5,424,131 times
Used to win trivia contests in bars.

Old Yesterday, 11:40 AM

2,613 posts, read 1,159,954 times
Won a very nice German lidded stein in a nationwide VW contest, back in the days when we drove VW's. Second prize, first prize was a Vanagon. I would have loved to win that.

Old Yesterday, 12:26 PM

10,619 posts, read 12,549,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Advanced to state spelling bee in high school.

I did that too! It started as a goof, a way to get out of class or something. I won, then on to county then regional. It is weird, i still remember studying "diphtheria" as a word, I actually spell it di ph th er ia yet words like tomorrow or convenience I frequently spell wrong (but my OCD makes me fix them).

Spelling Bees are essentially a memory exercise, not really a talent. Some people have horrible spelling to the point their emails are almost unreadable!

Old Yesterday, 12:40 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
30,444 posts, read 55,421,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
You had a Cortina? Was it British racing green?
No, it was white, with black interior. I got it for $300 because the seller thought it needed a new (Weber) carburetor, but was able to order a kit from the UK and rebuild it for under $50. I remember the look on my mother's face when she saw me boiling it out on the stove in one of her good pots.

Old Yesterday, 04:59 PM

4,094 posts, read 2,138,567 times
In 1962 I won a contest to write the school song for our junior high. It was set to the tune of "Scotland Forever", so you can imagine how bad it was (we had a choice of three tunes; that one was the best in my opinion.) Anyway, the prize was 100 record albums that I got to hand select at the RCA warehouse in downtown Baltimore. My parents and I spent most of a morning picking them out, and I kept some of them up until last year. I'm sure the records were used longer than the song was, at least I hope so!

Old Yesterday, 06:37 PM

4,177 posts, read 1,672,045 times
"what odd or strange things, looking back over your life, have you won awards or prizes for?"

1. 2004 Vince Gill look-alike-contest.
2. National Hollerin' Contest, third place.
3. caught (well, picked it up off the floor since no one wanted it) wedding garter.

Old Yesterday, 07:24 PM

3,065 posts, read 1,662,353 times
I made it a point to pretty much never buy lottery tickets - except when my office would pool together for one of those huge jackpots that came along once in a while.

But one time I actually did buy some lotto tickets, can't remember why... it must've been another big prize & I was bored & weak-willed at that moment. And I won $120!

I figured if I never played again I come out ahead & so I've never played again.

Old Yesterday, 07:30 PM

4,827 posts, read 1,869,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I have a trophy about 18" high with a little gold car on top, handed to me by British Race Car Driver Jackie Stewart in 1970 when I won the British Week Car Rally in San Francisco with my 1967 Cortina GT. It was first place in my class.

I remember the fury in Scotland, over the BBC saying "English driver Stirling Moss", but "British (not Scottish) driver Jackie Stewart".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or