U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:49 PM

13,341 posts, read 13,832,089 times

Advertisements

what odd or strange things, looking back over your life, have you won awards or prizes for?

when i was in third grade they passed out sugar cookies and gave a prize for biting it into a different shape. I nibbled my cookie into a heart shape and won the prize.

in my 30s i went back to school for health care training, and at graduation they handed out various prizes from the teachers who had noticed bizarre things about us the students. I got an award for walking in to a nutrition lecture, and sitting in the front row eating Cheetos and Dr. Pepper.

my whole life i had always wanted to win a prize for best costume, and year after year I never did. Halloween parties, dance parties, birthday parties, i put so much time and thought into costumes that i thought were so clever and never ever won a prize, even third or fourth prize. well finally in my 50s there was yet another party and a friend and I were sighing over this and laughing over this and we wanted to go to the party but really were too lazy to come up with costumes so we just went as "two old ladies in their pajamas" and we wore ratty bathrobes and put curlers in our hair and looked generally dissheveled and cranky. We won first prize. And there were close to 200 people at that event. go figure.

looking forward to reading your posts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:06 PM

2,446 posts, read 2,522,151 times
In the late 70s I was in bar in Union Grove Wisconsin. They had joke telling contest. I had a few drinks, and told an off color joke.

I actually won the contest. I won a burnt out car headlight, for being so burnt out

Old Yesterday, 09:15 PM

1,149 posts, read 450,450 times
Years ago, I won the Christmas raffle on the military watch forum. It was a very nice MKII watch. Bill Yao builds great watches.

Old Yesterday, 09:37 PM

7,163 posts, read 4,016,670 times
In my 20's, I won a blue ribbon at our county fair for a porcelain bowl I threw on a potters wheel.

Old Today, 12:17 AM

18,904 posts, read 5,002,338 times
I won a duck at a fair back in the 60's..gave it to a man made lake (Santee lakes in California)

Old Today, 01:20 AM

4,821 posts, read 1,865,735 times
Advanced to state spelling bee in high school.

Best non-metro sports play by play, Kansas.

Won a car wash for dirtest car in parking lot, Savannah Sandgnats ball game.

Old Today, 01:56 AM

73,313 posts, read 73,092,775 times
winning money here ......

Old Today, 02:28 AM

20,093 posts, read 20,207,739 times
I didn't clean out my wallet often so during a flight, I won a bottle of wine by producing the oldest driver's license

Old Today, 03:22 AM

1,053 posts, read 641,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post

my whole life i had always wanted to win a prize for best costume, and year after year I never did. Halloween parties, dance parties, birthday parties, i put so much time and thought into costumes that i thought were so clever and never ever won a prize, even third or fourth prize. well finally in my 50s there was yet another party and a friend and I were sighing over this and laughing over this and we wanted to go to the party but really were too lazy to come up with costumes so we just went as "two old ladies in their pajamas" and we wore ratty bathrobes and put curlers in our hair and looked generally dissheveled and cranky. We won first prize. And there were close to 200 people at that event. go figure.

looking forward to reading your posts!

In my 20s and 30s loved to sew and especially Halloween costumes. One Halloween I sewed for myself a Carmen Miranda costume with this hard to sew with glittery material and that plus the fruit turban took me quite a bit of time and $$ to make. I did win 1st prize at a local nightclub Halloween party with that costume, but the night literally ended with a bang when I was making last call to the ladies room before my friends were leaving I took a tumble in my high platform shoes I wore that to complete my costume and broke my ankle and ended up in a cast and out of work for 2 months. Good thing I won $800 for that costume because that is what paid my rent the two months I was out of work.

Old Today, 05:40 AM

2,611 posts, read 1,158,631 times
I once won a T-shirt in a radio trivia contest - it said Piggy's Pizza - Best Piece in Town. DH got a big kick out of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or