U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 03:12 PM

9,001 posts, read 11,013,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
The proverbial goalposts keep moving. Not too terribly long ago, even reaching 65 was an event of some considerable achievement, while 50 was an age of seniority and a late-stage of ones career. Now we read that 77 is but an intermediate stage in retirement, and the really advanced stage of fraught health and diminished prospects only comes at 90 or so. Soon perhaps well start considering anyone of double-digit age as middle-aged, and the right to be considered a doddering pantaloon would only be bestowed at age 120.

I do not warmly greet this evolution. It means a longer working-journey and a more protracted period of striving, of going about our efforts and persisting in trappings of responsibility. It also requires for more money to be saved, and more concern for what one eats and the like. If life-expectancy were to be short, our expectations would be lower, with lower stress about when is time-enough, and its grown fair to graduate to the next stage, or to let go.
True. Since I've worked w/ elders that are quite elder, 90's to mid or late 90's, I see a new definition arising. 80 isn't very elder to me anymore. I guess 85 is where I think older age starts officially. But, people can and are productive at that age and older. I've seen it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 05:20 PM

179 posts, read 100,395 times
a tribute

https://www.vermontwoman.com/article...ra-brooks.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or