U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:56 AM

1,152 posts, read 452,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabella View Post
Never was laid off and never worried about it. My professions were layoff-proof.
I'm sure the OP received all the comfort you intended with your post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Sometimes I wonder. Are we loyal to our employers or just to lazy to look around and get a better job?
I'm sure that's part of it but for many our age how have been with the same company since the 80's, pensions are still a reality and by sticking around, we're adding more to our pension payment. Having said that, there are also a variety of factors involved including laziness. I'll plead guilty to all of the above...but, happily guilty. I returned to the same employer twice after getting laid off and am glad that it all worked out.

Good luck AZPurdue!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 11:12 AM

6,512 posts, read 4,890,610 times
In the past many people worked for the same company for many years, even for their entire career. Those possibilities are becoming rare. The world is changing too fast. A great many companies don't even last for decades.

Old Yesterday, 11:26 AM

2,542 posts, read 3,744,719 times
Quote:
Sometimes I wonder. Are we loyal to our employers or just to lazy to look around and get a better job?

My theory is a combination of loyalty, complacency, denial, following the trends that were valid for our parents' generation, etc. Laziness only comes into the picture when the flashing lights and clanging gongs of impending job loss are being ignored.

Old Yesterday, 11:41 AM

2,552 posts, read 904,948 times
Quote:
Sometimes I wonder. Are we loyal to our employers or just too lazy to look around and get a better job?
I got complacent once. I was downsized when it got to the point that my staff could do the work as well as I could, so why did they need me?

I learned from that experience and after that, made moves when I felt I wasn't advancing my skills and saw no other routes within the company. But- every move I made other than the first was a "get-me-outta-here" move. Only the first was motivated solely by wanting better career opportunities.

Sometimes I wonder if making more moves to advance my career would have been better- but the coworkers who did that typically relocated a lot- a brutal process even if you get a good relo package and especially if you have kids and/or a spouse with a well-established career. You're also playing a game of "chicken" with your current employer- if you stay longer you get X but will you get canned first? The company that downsized me is paying me a $900/month non-COLA pension. I get a similar one from a company that was acquired after I'd been there 5 years, with no pension plan from the new owner. Would I have done better hopping around? Who knows?

Old Yesterday, 11:54 AM

9,954 posts, read 7,219,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Yeah, the same thing happened to me. "Laid off" (downsized) in 2003 after returning from vacation. I was re-hired 18 months later when they realized my position really was essential. I held them up for restoration of my sick leave and a raise. Laid off again in 2011, and I told them, "Don't call me, I'll call you." I was very marketable, and had two half-time job offers in weeks. Retired for good in 2015.
Downsized, that's the word for such job terminations. How could I have forgotten it????

I'll tell you, in your shoes, as marketable as your skills are, I think I'd have thumbed my nose at an employer who thought better about whether or not I should have been let go, ( in fact, I have), but you gotta do what's best for you. At least you got your employer for some sick time and a raise, they wanted you that badly. And geez, let go a second time? I wouldn't have even considered going back to that same employer whose management decisions were so poor.

I was downsized from two jobs over my working years. The first one was from a medical supply/ manufacturing company whose policy was a regular shedding of a number of the "last hired, first fired" group. This was long before such practices were commonplace among employers, and this place was known for this practice. In fact, when I was hired for my new job after this, the managers commented (probably as a joke more than anything) that they considered it an asset to have been let go by this company, and there were a number of long time employees at this new job who had a layoff from this company in their work history.

The second downsizing was in a hospital clinic, they'd hired a new "headroller" CEO known to unceremoniously downsize businesses and everyone knew this was his purpose there. They cut about half the staff from the facility, and I was in that group, (happily, as a matter of fact, the job was that stressful and tore up my family life with endless demands they had no right to make) and I had another job offer before I left there. That job didn't start for three months and I'd gotten severance pay and my unused PTO paid (it was a lot, it was hard to take time off there), so I had a nice break and no money worries.

The funny thing was that they contacted me from this clinic about 1.5 years, and again about 10 years after I left there. They wanted me to come back and work for them again. I laughed my head off when the lady called the first time, and started her appeal with, "well, I know what you're going to say but the docs asked me to call...", and I responded then, "well, you know what to tell them then..., though whether you add the "it'll be a cold day in hell" part is up to you.

The second time the call came from a current employee with a supposed technical question. I answered that, then she started talking about how much they missed me and would like me to reconsider leaving my current job to come back to work for them. It was really hard not to be sarcastic to the lady, but I told her my current job offered me so much more than they ever could, so again, it'd be a cold day............

Old Yesterday, 01:36 PM

26 posts, read 7,793 times
Only loyalty is to the $$$.

How much you can make for someone if you happen to work for someone.

And how much you can make for yourself if you are on your own.

I chose to do my own thing 15yrs ago and never look back.

Yeah, it's not for everybody.

Old Yesterday, 02:38 PM

28,380 posts, read 40,258,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
Let's see:
AZ might equal Arizona work location
Purdue might equal Engineer
Multiple Lay-offs by Fortune Top 10 Company over past 3 decades might equal......

Do you work at the Yuma Proving Grounds?

If so, I am glad to hear you are financially set for retirement, as our former common employer sure doesn't care about us,
If so he has a very long commute.

Old Yesterday, 03:06 PM

1,152 posts, read 452,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
If so he has a very long commute.
Huh?

Old Yesterday, 03:46 PM

315 posts, read 159,834 times
Default ...right on, brother, right on - The Temptations...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZPurdue View Post
Just got laid off today, upon returning from a week's vacation, by my Fortune top 10 employer. Been with them since May of 2003, except for a 10 month gap in '16-'17 when I was also laid off by them. Felt fortunate to get rehired in Feb 2017, since I was 61...and they matched my former salary.

Soon to be 64 and my plan was to retire sometime between April 1 and August 31 of next year. I don't get the sweet severance as in '16 but I do get a couple months. Severance, plus six months unemployment, am thinking I can string this out nicely and ride off into the sunset almost as planned.

Frankly, I will be happy to give corporate America the finger. I am set this time (no pension, but me and the spouse have really good ss benefits and solid 401Ks). But that was not the case when laid off by other employers in '82, '97, and '03. The whole layoff thing gets tiresome. I feel for the younger generations who have to deal with the same garbage. It's hard to be loyal to an employer when they will dump you in a heartbeat just to meet some exec's budget, likely due to their own mismanagement.

Any other soon-to-be retirees encounter similar BS?
While I cannot relate to your world, I dig your sentiment.
Attached Thumbnails
Laid off...again!-ss-1.jpg  

Last edited by JohnnyLackland; Yesterday at 04:15 PM..

Old Yesterday, 04:30 PM

6,512 posts, read 4,890,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
..... Laziness only comes into the picture when the flashing lights and clanging gongs of impending job loss are being ignored.
No, I disagree. With decades of work, it makes sense to look ahead, change to better jobs, and take the steps necessary to gain strong employable skills and abilities. This is best done on a continuing basis. Once the ax falls it is often too late. Then we hear complaints that no one hires older workers. Then we hear how bad the job market is. Then we hear about retiring often many years early.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or