U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2019, 09:01 PM

686 posts, read 332,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Be careful- unless you're protected by a contract, retiree health insurance can be taken away even after retirement. My brother retired around age 60 with a good pension and retiree health insurance, They got a letter in late 2017 telling them that as of 1/1/2018 they no longer had retiree health insurance. End of story. They've been paying ACA premiums since- last I heard they were $22K/year for DB and DSIL. Fortunately they have significant savings and live frugally. They don't qualify for subsidies.

Oh totally agree I just meant I am too close to the prize now to not try to reach it. But if I was younger or they had not offered that I would probably have made difference choices back then - especially after being thrown into reorgs. Surviving a layoff doesn't really mean you "won" IMO. And there is always another one around the corner. . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2019, 11:42 PM

14 posts, read 7,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peta2013 View Post
sorry, maybe a dumb question, how does an employer have any control over your unemployment benefits?
Former employer does not have any control over unemployment benefits. Just saying that since I was laid off, I do get up to six months of unemployment benefits. Conversely, if I had quit, I would not get any unemployment benefits.

Old 09-12-2019, 06:27 AM

6,045 posts, read 5,433,872 times
Most people on this thread have been fired. Laid off means you may be back eventually, back at a time you already know about, or have to wait until business conditions improve. I always new how many people were in front of me and when they started getting called back I knew I was getting closer.

If there is no chance of going back you have been fired.

Old 09-12-2019, 07:46 AM

2,840 posts, read 1,736,126 times
As someone said earlier in the thread, the term layoff has been replaced by "RIF" which is a "reduction in force." I got RIF'd back in 2009 as the economy tanked, the company went through 4-5 rounds of it, and I lost my job on the last round.

Anyway, the rise of HR departments and micromanagement of department budgets has really made corporate America a soulless environment these days. There's a minimum profitability level they have set, and if meeting it means they have to fire people, no matter how long they've been there or what their level of contributions are, they're gone.

Myself, I was let go in 2009 while being one of the more senior people in the department. I knew more about the job than literally everyone in the department, so much so that after they let me go, they had to bring in people from other locations to cover my work load until they could train the remaining department members. Wonder how much that cost in wages, airfare, corporate housing, etc... for months on end.

Old 09-12-2019, 08:22 AM

24,394 posts, read 18,164,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
As someone said earlier in the thread, the term layoff has been replaced by "RIF" which is a "reduction in force." I got RIF'd back in 2009 as the economy tanked, the company went through 4-5 rounds of it, and I lost my job on the last round.

Anyway, the rise of HR departments and micromanagement of department budgets has really made corporate America a soulless environment these days. There's a minimum profitability level they have set, and if meeting it means they have to fire people, no matter how long they've been there or what their level of contributions are, they're gone.

Myself, I was let go in 2009 while being one of the more senior people in the department. I knew more about the job than literally everyone in the department, so much so that after they let me go, they had to bring in people from other locations to cover my work load until they could train the remaining department members. Wonder how much that cost in wages, airfare, corporate housing, etc... for months on end.
Yep.

Last year, we had a significant RIF of several dozen employees. They weren't "fired," but they also weren't "laid off" with the intent of bringing them back in the future.

Old 09-12-2019, 08:39 AM

12,273 posts, read 5,379,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Yep.

Last year, we had a significant RIF of several dozen employees. They weren't "fired," but they also weren't "laid off" with the intent of bringing them back in the future.
Actually they were fired (terminated) because they were no longer needed, not because they did something wrong. People use the term laid off because it's more politically correct.

Old 09-12-2019, 09:09 AM

9,965 posts, read 7,233,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Be careful- unless you're protected by a contract, retiree health insurance can be taken away even after retirement. My brother retired around age 60 with a good pension and retiree health insurance, They got a letter in late 2017 telling them that as of 1/1/2018 they no longer had retiree health insurance. End of story. They've been paying ACA premiums since- last I heard they were $22K/year for DB and DSIL. Fortunately they have significant savings and live frugally. They don't qualify for subsidies.
That's happened to a number of retirees I know. Fortunately they were able to switch to Medicare, mostly they seem to opt for Medicare Advantage plans.

Old 09-12-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Most people on this thread have been fired. Laid off means you may be back eventually, back at a time you already know about, or have to wait until business conditions improve. I always new how many people were in front of me and when they started getting called back I knew I was getting closer.

If there is no chance of going back you have been fired.
Oh, I don't know about that. With one of two jobs from which I was "fired" (actually RIFed since the positions were eliminated, but with no expectation of coming back), I was contacted twice by the employer and asked to consider returning. I declined both times.

Old 09-12-2019, 09:15 AM

6,102 posts, read 5,024,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Sometimes I wonder. Are we loyal to our employers or just to lazy to look around and get a better job?
I've never been laid off. We had an RIF, and my job classification was targeted for one person to be laid off. I had plenty of seniority and was in no danger, but we had one employee who had been with us for a long time, quit, and then come back, and so he'd lost all his seniority and would have been the one to go. I was feeling a little less than thrilled with my supervisor, and somewhat stagnated at the time, so I looked around within the company, in a totally different department, and found a position that I could transfer to and get some really new experiences in a different work environment. With the agreement that my salary would stay the same for 2 years, I took the position with the other department and saved my co-workers job. I was actually hoping to eventually promote up the line in that new department. It was more of a "core business" department and fairly RIF-proof. After 2 years though, they were hiring for my old position again, so I went back to it before my red-circled pay could be adjusted downward to that of my 2 year post. While in that 2 year position I was able to work copious amounts of overtime and ended up with a 15% pay boost for those 2 years! And I also gained a reputation within my original department as someone who would "take one for the team". They didn't realize all that I'd gained in that other position (OT pay, meeting people in high places in other departments, increased knowledge of the the district's physical assets and operations, etc) and how those gains would help me in future opportunities.

I was loyal to my employer, and they were very good to me. I wasn't too lazy to find a better job, I just looked for, and got, a "better job" with the same employer, 6 times in 25 years. It's possible to do both.

Last edited by TheShadow; 09-12-2019 at 09:57 AM..

Old 09-12-2019, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZPurdue View Post
Former employer does not have any control over unemployment benefits. Just saying that since I was laid off, I do get up to six months of unemployment benefits. Conversely, if I had quit, I would not get any unemployment benefits.
It used to be that an employee fired for cause wasn't eligible for unemployment either. These days I'd think the unemployment issue would be on a case by case basis depending on the reason the employee was fired, even for cause.

To me the connotation of the word "fired" is that the employee was let go for actions (violation of policies, criminal activity) or oher reasons as a result of his/her own actions. IMO that may be why other descriptions came up for letting employees go, ie, "downsizing", "RIFing", when it became more a corporate business practice to let employees go for the short term profit. Certainly no fault of the employees who were let go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or