U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:42 PM

12,591 posts, read 12,779,583 times

Advertisements

"Fired" means you were terminated for cause. Since most companies are at-will employers and don't owe anybody a job, they use the term, "laid off," even if the employee was terminated for cause. You learn early that you never give an ex-employee a bad reference. That way lie lawsuits, and you will pay through the nose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 06:02 AM

6,550 posts, read 4,906,714 times
Most companies do not give any sort of reference. They merely confirm dates of employment. This has been a common practice for decades and avoids lawsuits. If you need a reference from employment that can be done by a request to your boss or perhaps even a coworker. The request may be honored or not. When I received such requests I was also very cautious. If the company would not stick out its neck, why should I? Even for good employees, I would never provide any sort of comprehensive assessment of performance. I merely mentioned some of their positive traits.

Old Today, 04:44 PM

1,164 posts, read 458,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZPurdue View Post
Former employer does not have any control over unemployment benefits. Just saying that since I was laid off, I do get up to six months of unemployment benefits. Conversely, if I had quit, I would not get any unemployment benefits.
I donít think thatís completely accurate. If someone is fired for cause, your company may have the option to object to that person receiving unemployment benefits. Iíve been involved in quite a few cases where I provided data which lead to an employeeís termination and that was followed a few months later by a requested for physical data to the extent to which itís available simply because thereís a hearing and the company wishes to provide evidence which led to the term and stop any unemployment benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or