U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 01:29 PM

5,464 posts, read 704,679 times

Advertisements

My 15 minutes of fame:

A situation I experienced at work was offered up as an example in an article about licensing/acquiring digital download issues for academic libraries written for College & Research Libraries News. The footnote of the article mentions me by name!

Back in the 70s a local radio station in Rochester ran a weekly contest to win a chance to be a guest deejay. I got to deejay twice!

A group photo that included me was used to on the Wanderwoman website to advertise tours to Greece (I went on a Wanderwoman tour to Greece with a co-worker in 2014)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 01:40 PM

2,547 posts, read 904,948 times
About 10 years into my career, a reported from Forbes found me and wanted to ask about the uncertainties in setting insurance reserves. (Highly judgmental because you have to make a lot of assumptions and adjustments to past data, and because the number is big and directly affects the bottom line, there's frequently management pressure to make the assumptions as favorable as possible). I was young and naive and flattered. They ran the draft by me just as I'd started at a new job and they'd really played fast and loose; a question starting with, "So, management might say....." to which I replied "yes" showed up as a direct quote. And of course they named my employer. I knew enough to being in our PR guy but they wouldn't change a word. The article came out and a I had a steady parade of people coming into my office with a copy of Forbes. They were gentlemen. They really were. I could have gotten canned. The message was, "please don't do that again".

I never did. I never again trusted the press. And although I still have that issue of Forbes, I've never bought another.

I'm also in this video at 0:55, carrying the bright yellow sandals. I wish I had the biceps of the woman at :20 , though.

https://www.uncruise.com/destination...merica-cruises

Old Yesterday, 01:55 PM

22,012 posts, read 14,602,092 times
I saw Jim Lampley at a taco stand in Malibu, CA. once. I said hi but he ignored me. He got his order and pulled away in a charcoal grey 911.

Old Yesterday, 01:59 PM

13,093 posts, read 14,343,132 times
Mine was less than 15 minutes, for sure, but it is also a kind of mystery.

I was living in NYC in the 80's. Someone who had a news program on one of the TV channels showed up at at a community center where I participated in a small closed seminar one night a week. As it broke up someone came in and whispered to the moderator, and he then caught me at the door and explained that this newscaster was there looking to interview three people about a controversial event. Would I be willing. Willing, no, as I really cringe at anything like public speaking, and the idea of cameras, a popular newscaster was too close to that....but the moderator had extended lots of courtesies to me. So, no choice.

I was interviewed, and didn't quite die of stage fright. The interviewer asked a couple of routine questions,...maybe they do that to relax people, and then a more pointed one. It was something that made me very angry, but I was too ill-at-ease to blow-up, so I said everything I might have said at a shout in an quiet, slow motion fashion. The interviewer was very enthusiastic and I got a friendly pat-on-the-should goodbye. And that was that.

My office mate, an outspoken woman pounced on me, and her opinion was that some people would have swung and ax but I came over as someone who was leisurely sawing someone's head off. A couple of others made comments, but one guy just stared me straight in the eyes with real animosity, then turned around and walked away. At the place where I ate lunch almost every day, the nice young foreign woman who worked the counter took my order and after she brought it and put it down she said in a kind of awe, "I saw you on television last night." I didn't know quite what to say "...oh, they asked for people where I was, and someone picked me...um, um..." She looked me in the face pleasantly, and then shook her hand up and down.

The irony is that in a way I wasn't there for it. I have no idea how it was edited for one thing, or if it was. I had given away my TV to a workmate because I never watched. So, I never saw my fifteen minutes.

Old Yesterday, 02:14 PM

2,447 posts, read 2,524,148 times
In 2011 I won my class in the California State Sporting Clays Championship (shotgun shooting)

Old Yesterday, 02:41 PM

11,192 posts, read 12,658,468 times
A long long time ago...

I was on a weekly television show for about three years. Everywhere I went someone recognized me, "hey you're that guy on that thing I saw".

HATED IT.

Old Yesterday, 02:50 PM

5,411 posts, read 3,747,358 times
Havenít had my 15 yet, although I met Gordie Tapp (Hee Haw fame) on a cruise and had an interesting conversation. I also met Lester Maddox (Look it up ) once. I was also a player in helping startup my former companies first nuclear power plant.

Old Yesterday, 02:51 PM

4,857 posts, read 3,277,279 times
I grew up in theatre and have met a bunch of names-William Shatner (wasn't impressed-even at the age of 8), Pat O'Brian (who was such a delight-along with his wife & daughter), Davy Jones (who was supposed to come to our house but couldn't make it) along with others.

I have done theatre myself so I have been up there in the lights. I also won a trophy for second place in a dance contest.

But, I think my 15 minutes was when I was volunteering at our local food shelf. First I created a film about the organization that was broadcasted on our local public access channel which I believe was about 15 minutes long. lol. This was BEFORE digital. I also did a talk show on the same channel with our director talking about the Post Office food drive. She was new to the job so she fielded most of the questions to me. I think the segment was just about 15 minutes long. lol. I have since done many videos that can be seen on YouTube. I don't know if that counts.

Oh, I also had one of my photos used in a UN presentation.

Cat

Old Yesterday, 02:59 PM

247 posts, read 90,023 times
I give talks locally, and I'm thrilled if there are a dozen people present. Once or twice there were over a hundred! It's nice when they ask what other talks I'll be giving.

Old Yesterday, 03:01 PM

1,150 posts, read 452,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Havenít had my 15 yet, although I met Gordie Tapp (Hee Haw fame) on a cruise and had an interesting conversation. I also met Lester Maddox (Look it up ) once. I was also a player in helping startup my former companies first nuclear power plant.
Hee Haw Gal Victoria Hallman is from my hometown. I've never met her but many folks back home are good friends with her. Don't need to look up ole Lester. I know exactly who he is.

First nuclear plant? BWR or PWR? lol I was a co-op student at Plant Hatch many years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement