U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2019, 12:01 PM

1,847 posts, read 2,638,659 times

Advertisements

Let’s see, does being on our local TV version of Romper Room at age five count?

Well, other than that I did have an article published in an unknown journal. Only recognition it got me was on a resume. Actually, the one I’ll count is years ago being named “—————— of the year” at my state professional associations conference. While I did appreciate the acknowledgment for the work that I had done even though my dear friend waited to the last moment to let me know she was nominating me so I had one weekend to put my professional life together for the submission. I did forgive her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2019, 12:11 PM

5,129 posts, read 3,511,463 times
Nothing to report. Anonymity can be good.

Old 09-12-2019, 02:13 PM

7,835 posts, read 3,306,032 times
Seems like there's a natural segue to "your 15 minutes of public embarrassment" here. Maybe there's been a thread about that before; don't know.

I've had a few but the embarrassment of the moment dissolved into funny eventually.

If you are planning to fall off any sort of vessel, choose a US Coast Guard cutter. Especially one that's tied up to a public dock. Lots of handsome young men on hand to haul you out of the water again, hand you a blanket and decent coffee.

Oh then there's the fiasco involving an official ranger patrol boat (so labeled in BIG letters), a malfunctioning trailer winch, a public boat launch access road, wearing full uniform, and 10 understandably-startled bass fishermen...

Come to think if it BOTH those events occurring while wearing full uniform. The icing on the cake.

Old 09-12-2019, 06:46 PM

57,436 posts, read 55,640,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
Ted Koppel left me a voice mail once. I was thrilled to hear him say, "(my name), this is Ted Koppel." He called to thank me for something I said to Mrs. Koppel. I really intended to keep that voice mail forever but, as luck would have it, I accidentally deleted it. That bummed me out.

I've been interviewed on local TV twice. Once, after a bicycle race in San Antonio (circa 1980) and once after managing a Habitat-type project for your business in downtown Atlanta near the old Fulton Co Stadium. It was titled, "The House on Love Street" and was a Christmas feel-good story. That was roughly 1994 or so.

Edit: Shoot - I forgot to add that I've published photographs in a British Land Rover magazine from a trip a group of us took to Belize and, I was in a group photograph that a well-known British Land Rover expert published in a book that included a chapter on 'merican LR owners. I treasure that photograph because my parents, who drove out from the deep South, joined us on that particular vacation to CO.
LOL, Ted Koppel once sat on my winter coat, which was on a plywood table. I had to ask him to get up so I could get it.

It was after the 1993 bombing at the World Trade Center. I had to deliver some construction documents to the makeshift office in the hotel ballroom for the construction operations, and one of the guys I knew asked me if I wanted to go see the hole in the parking garage made by the bomb. I left my coat on one of the tables and went with him.

When I got back, Ted Koppel was there talking to my boss in preparation for doing his show that night, which would be on the damage and reconstruction, sitting on my coat. I just politely said, excuse me, this is my coat. He moved but just kept talking to my boss, so I took my coat and left.

Not fifteen minutes of fame for me, but the Ted Koppel mention made me remember that.

Later, after the much bigger event at the World Trade Center, the son of a coworker who worked for the A&E/History Channel needed five or six taped interviews as part of his proposal to pitch a series of survivor stories to his bosse. I went to the studio and did the taping.

His idea was turned down, and he called to tell me he was donating the tapes to the NYC history museum. Occasionally I Google my name to see what's out there (and a lot of other people have the same name as I do) and once, I saw my name and a quote from my interview used as a footnoted reference in an academic paper.

Other than that, I've had a few written articles and short stories published. Nothing that allowed me to quit the day job.

Old 09-13-2019, 06:56 AM

7,455 posts, read 1,644,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choff5 View Post
Let’s see, does being on our local TV version of Romper Room at age five count?
Oh, that is hysterical because I vaguely remember being at one of those types of kiddie shows, too, when I was about five! Do you think anyone would want our autographs?

P.S. I almost forgot that I was in an infomercial once for a hotel I worked at; I was a sales manager, but they showed me eating at the hotel restaurant with a male coworker. I never saw it because I have always hated how I looked and hate being photographed in any way and did not understand why they chose me to be the patron. (And, as a side note, one of my co-workers who I thought was much more photogenic, and also about a decade younger than I, was VERY put out that they chose me instead of her.)

Oh, and I almost forgot that I also got my name in the paper for winning our high school spelling bee! Yes, it is amazing that no one has ever asked to write my biography!

Last edited by katharsis; 09-13-2019 at 07:05 AM..

Old 09-13-2019, 07:45 AM

4,811 posts, read 3,811,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
LOL, Ted Koppel once sat on my winter coat, which was on a plywood table. I had to ask him to get up so I could get it.
I met Charles Kuralt's parents at a holiday party on the Outer Banks in the mid 1970s. His father kept his hat on for the duration of the party. i got the impression he wasn't crazy about being there.

Old 09-13-2019, 05:18 PM

249 posts, read 91,402 times
I just remembered! Around 1992 I was interviewed for and quoted a few times on an A& E Biography episode! No, the episode wasn't about me. I haven't looked at it since because I'd probably cringe at the way I looked and talked. This is before I got into public speaking. But I liked the fleeting attention given me by the production staff. it was taped at a now demolished Manhattan hotel, and genuine celebrities had been in the same room the day before for the taping.

What I learned is that I'd much prefer portraying a character--the more disguised the better--than just be me in front of a camera!

Last edited by westegg; 09-13-2019 at 05:26 PM..

Old 09-13-2019, 05:30 PM

3,615 posts, read 1,702,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Using the term "fame" rather loosely. If you had a time in the public eye for whatever reason (like Mathjak in the money mag, or in a band), do you feel it has enhanced your life in any way? Are you benefitting from it?

Does it ever come up in conversation, or is it an unknown part of your past?

I was reminded of my brief time in a few local papers and TV by an article in "The Atlantic" I just came across. It was bizarre to see myself in print.

When our adventure was going on, I liked to think about how it would be an interesting topic to discuss in the future, but somehow it never comes up. I feel it has "made me who I am", but it is just part of the unspoken past.

Is it like that for you? Does it contribute to your life now?
My friend and I had two bouts of 15 mins of fame nationally and internationally and we just saw it as a wonderful lark. I can't say that it made a huge difference personally or professionally, although it is nice to know our work was recognized and inspired others, but beyond that, we just got on with what we did as usual. I rarely mention it (unless asked) and view it as just another part of the quilt I call my life.

Old 09-13-2019, 09:32 PM

1,791 posts, read 2,479,413 times
Roswell 1997 - Morgianna, Intergalactic belly dancer; mentioned in Time magazine, in news media, TV, etc, all over the world, for my performances at the 50th anniversary of the crash. An amazing experience, the culmination of all my yrs of dance training and artistry, bringing together talents to create my original music, my titanium costume, etc. It was my few days of serious fame.

Old 09-13-2019, 10:00 PM

14,540 posts, read 7,798,783 times
I made the front page of the Rutland (Vermont) Herald in October 1980 after skiing off an embankment and getting a fractured skull when I was stopped by a large boulder. I was bleeding like crazy and my forehead was all bandaged up. I looked like the "Spirit of '76" guy except I wasn't playing the fife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement