U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 11:34 AM

3,804 posts, read 1,667,161 times

Advertisements

Using the term "fame" rather loosely. If you had a time in the public eye for whatever reason (like Mathjak in the money mag, or in a band), do you feel it has enhanced your life in any way? Are you benefitting from it?

Does it ever come up in conversation, or is it an unknown part of your past?

I was reminded of my brief time in a few local papers and TV by an article in "The Atlantic" I just came across. It was bizarre to see myself in print.

When our adventure was going on, I liked to think about how it would be an interesting topic to discuss in the future, but somehow it never comes up. I feel it has "made me who I am", but it is just part of the unspoken past.

Is it like that for you? Does it contribute to your life now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 11:44 AM

73,315 posts, read 73,109,155 times
Well playing with recording artists certainly has a feeling of achievement.... i can’t even describe the feeling today as I am doing it again after 35 years .

Old Yesterday, 11:53 AM

1,851 posts, read 1,162,256 times
I think the only reason I recalled this event so easily was for some reason I had been reminded of it by one of my family members. Back when I the beginning of my freshman year, we were all outside for physical education and it was the last hour of school. One of my new classmates, they had combined 2 different school classes for high school, kind of began a physically aggressive act toward me. I had little choice but to stand up and clobber him in the head, again and again as a matter of fact. It saved me from 4 years of much torment by him and the rest of the school bullies as the story spread and I came back to school with a cast on my hand!

Old Yesterday, 11:58 AM

562 posts, read 336,286 times
I was on the local evening news about 15 yrs ago. "Film at 11" The whole thing. The building I was living in at the time was experiencing multiple incidents of vandalism and three separate arson attempts.

I was retired so I was home for all three arson attempts and was the person who put out the fires and called the fire department. If I hadn't been home in the afternoons who knows how far the fires would have gotten?

I was interviewed by Money Magazine ... geez... maybe... 18 yrs ago now. 2001 or so. I did not make the cut as one of the four featured people/couples though.

I also had a CD available on iTunes and Amazon music about 11 yrs ago. Sold a few but no Grammy

Old Yesterday, 12:08 PM

24,304 posts, read 18,118,516 times
Not at any notable level.

I entered college as a fairly left-wing Democrat. I dropped out of college due to some issues going on in my personal life, had time to think, and my politics changed. I was then very politically active in college as a Republican. That was unusual. I was an organizer for Bill Haslam in this end of the state back in the 2010 election cycle, and I was a on a first name basis with the-then lieutenant governor for several years.

I was at a VIP dinner once seated next to Bill Haslam and Mike Huckabee. My then fiance stood me up and her seat was empty. That was horribly embarrassing.

Old Yesterday, 12:13 PM

1,150 posts, read 450,450 times
Ted Koppel left me a voice mail once. I was thrilled to hear him say, "(my name), this is Ted Koppel." He called to thank me for something I said to Mrs. Koppel. I really intended to keep that voice mail forever but, as luck would have it, I accidentally deleted it. That bummed me out.

I've been interviewed on local TV twice. Once, after a bicycle race in San Antonio (circa 1980) and once after managing a Habitat-type project for your business in downtown Atlanta near the old Fulton Co Stadium. It was titled, "The House on Love Street" and was a Christmas feel-good story. That was roughly 1994 or so.

Edit: Shoot - I forgot to add that I've published photographs in a British Land Rover magazine from a trip a group of us took to Belize and, I was in a group photograph that a well-known British Land Rover expert published in a book that included a chapter on 'merican LR owners. I treasure that photograph because my parents, who drove out from the deep South, joined us on that particular vacation to CO.

Last edited by k7baixo; Yesterday at 01:38 PM..

Old Yesterday, 12:15 PM

351 posts, read 174,476 times
There was that time in the late 70's I was on The Price is Right.

Old Yesterday, 12:29 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
30,438 posts, read 55,421,310 times
Mine was literally 15 minutes. Back in 1976 I worked for the water district in Oakland, CA and was heavily involved in the drought rationing program. The Spanish Language TV station in San Francisco asked for someone to go on and talk about water saving tips and explain the rationing for their East Bay viewers. As I spoke pretty good Spanish at the time I was volunteered. I did have to learn a few new words, having never used such as flotador del bano (toilet float). As it turned out, I was interviewed during the news by the station manager, for 15 minutes.

Old Yesterday, 12:40 PM

1,953 posts, read 1,022,942 times
I read my poetry at Windows on the Cumberland. I was well received.

It still pleases me to remember the occasion

Old Yesterday, 01:27 PM

16,794 posts, read 4,406,604 times
I have a five page spread in Kiplingers print magazine.....and many other 15 minute meetings with fame.

I even had a groupie once. Maybe more than once. I refused the advances tho.......

I had gotten in on the early days of the Online world and so have established very large online communities and became the go-to guy for an industry or two.....was the guy giving talks at trade shows which were well attended, etc.

But my "fame" was always more for the product/service I created and ran then on a personal level. That is, my face or person was hardly ever associated with my "fame"....

Looking back it was just enough. Too much would be a big problem.

In the "really fake fame" department, our town used to have a big Halloween Parade..10,000+ attendees. We took our Blues Band and all dressed up in outfits and decked out a trailer and rode down the street playing "Hootchie Cootsie Man" and "Season of the Witch". It was always a fantasy of mine to play in from of a LOT of people (my previous record was probably 500 at a school dance).....and I made it during that parade! Fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement